IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy Pushing Flower Spikes

GregVirginia7

Trachy pushing around 12-flower spikes this spring...I have no other Trachy’s of flower age yet so this is the only one in the immediate area...does the process of flowering sap energy from the palm that would otherwise be used to push fronds and height? Also, in the off-chance my Trachy is both sexes, should I just let the flower spikes form and see what happens? Last year was the first time it flowered but I hacked them off thinking they were a waste of time and energy for the poor, lonely Trachy, but wondering now what the chances are of it flowering with both parents in mind...most of the spike’s pods are beginning to burst out in flower while several others are just emerging about 2+ weeks behind the others...is that an indication of anything...suggestions or info.?image.thumb.jpg.afb26757aa7d8dd8343355d4aa051443.jpg

• Like 2

I don't think it would take away too much energy from growth plus they look nice when they flower  . Your plant looks like a female so if you could find a male around you could shake some pollen on it . 

Will

If you lived near me I could put some of this Nainital pollen on your female .

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.358839f7c3644297a44d5ca932ab864e.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson

Male flowers are bright yellow and Bloom before the female flowers. Female flowers are usually a greenish line in color. 

If the flowers are a lime green, congrats you have a female tree. I would look for a male trachy w bright yellow flowers and sprinkle the pollen on the female for seeds.

If your flowers are bright yellow, you happy to know you've got a male tree.

Go find a trachy with lime flowers and get that tree pollinated for seed. (With owner permission of course if female tree is on private property

26 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

I don't think it would take away too much energy from growth plus they look nice when they flower  . Your plant looks like a female so if you could find a male around you could shake some pollen on it . 

Will

If you lived near me I could put some of this Nainital pollen on your female .

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.358839f7c3644297a44d5ca932ab864e.JPG

Thank you Will, but I live in Norther Virginia so that would be a bit of a haul but maybe if anyone on this post from my area wants to let me collect some pollen that might work...

14 minutes ago, Luis Arroyo said:

Male flowers are bright yellow and Bloom before the female flowers. Female flowers are usually a greenish line in color. 

If the flowers are a lime green, congrats you have a female tree. I would look for a male trachy w bright yellow flowers and sprinkle the pollen on the female for seeds.

If your flowers are bright yellow, you happy to know you've got a male tree.

Go find a trachy with lime flowers and get that tree pollinated for seed. (With owner permission of course if female tree is on private property

2 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

I have 2 females and 4 males so it is good that you have a female . I have a Princeps too but it isn't mature enough to know its sex yet . I should know in the next 2 years since it is starting to trunk now .

Will

I’ve always been told to cut them off, including from my local palm nursery who grows thousands from seed. Save that energy for growth unless you’re looking to get seed, which may be difficult for you.  Unless you want to see the flowers to determine the sex I wouldn’t keep them.

As far as it producing male and female flowers on the same tree that’s pretty uncommon. There is one tree in my neighborhood that did this one time 2 years ago. Last year only male flowers and this year I’ll find out in another week or two what it decides to do. 

16 hours ago, Chester B said:

I’ve always been told to cut them off, including from my local palm nursery who grows thousands from seed. Save that energy for growth unless you’re looking to get seed, which may be difficult for you.  Unless you want to see the flowers to determine the sex I wouldn’t keep them.

As far as it producing male and female flowers on the same tree that’s pretty uncommon. There is one tree in my neighborhood that did this one time 2 years ago. Last year only male flowers and this year I’ll find out in another week or two what it decides to do. 

Kind of what I was thinking...guess I’ll let it flower to see what I have for the heck of it...should be an interesting look with all those spikes!

Both of my flowering Trachycarpus are male. I let them flower until the pollen is expunged, then remove them. The local carpenter and sweat bees seem to immensely enjoy the flowers. 

8 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Both of my flowering Trachycarpus are male. I let them flower until the pollen is expunged, then remove them. The local carpenter and sweat bees seem to immensely enjoy the flowers. 

My thinking exactly...the tree is a male and I’ll let the bees feast on all those flowers.

• Upvote 1