IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia catarinensis

Paradise Found

Butia catarinensis is a small short butia only growing 9' tall with a thinner trunk. And is hardy to 14F. So far I have not had any damaged spear or leaves the last five years. 

This year the new spear is opening and it pretty long & nice looking palm in my opinion.  Check it out and I highly recommend this Butia. 

IMG-0228.JPG

IMG-0232.JPG

• Like 5

I’ve not seen these locally. When I was in Florida last these seemed to be the most common Butia planted there. Much smaller and narrower trunks than I was accustomed to seeing with our PNW ones. 

54 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I’ve not seen these locally. When I was in Florida last these seemed to be the most common Butia planted there. Much smaller and narrower trunks than I was accustomed to seeing with our PNW ones. 

Yeah not seeing them here also.  It reminds me of B. yatay with its longer leaves and curving down.  Mine only gets half a day of sun so that could be why its stretching,  I am hoping that all the gardens that got damage in a 100 year freeze will think of this palm and others in colder climate will consider it too since it small and easy to protect. 

Butia x Jubaea f2 is flushing the same way with long new leaves opening up. I think this is the easiest my feather palms have flush. 

Nice rain today after the April drought. 

Edited by Paradise Found

1 hour ago, Trustandi said:

It looks good! Maybe I should look for it. I love butias.

Everyone should grow this one in PNW.  There use to be a regular butia next to it and it died. little guy sailed right through it. So yes try to get one for sure. 

Edited by Paradise Found

Yes finally some rain. I’ve gotten about 1/4 inch so far but it’s going to be stopping soon. Sounds like here we’re going to break the record for the driest April and March we got 1/3 of the normal rain. Already had fire warnings, burn ban and a fire close by.  I hate rain and have been enjoying the weather but we really need it at this point. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, Scott W said:

@Paradise Found nice palm.  Do you have a source for these?

I'm Sorry I don't.

I think I got mine from another palm gardener here, but he moved away many years ago.  He found it in SCali. 

Edited by Paradise Found

1 hour ago, Paradise Found said:

I'm Sorry I don't.

I think I got mine from another palm gardener here, but he moved away many years ago.  He found it in SCali. 

No worries, thanks.  There was another thread talking about these from a couple years ago and @TexasColdHardyPalms said he had a bunch growing like weeds.  I know he got hit hard with the big freeze and hasn't been on here since April.  Sent him an email, hoping he replies.

• Like 1

Oh that's good you found Him.  I hope you can get one too, they do grow fast and I've had no problem with freeze's or snow. 

• Like 1

I just remember that Buffy, on the board has a few of these in the ground... Along time ago.

You can ask him ?

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, Scott W said:

@Paradise Found nice palm.  Do you have a source for these?

I have one three gallon left.  Send a pm if interested.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I believe these are Butia catarinensis near the Bartow Library.

202110030000_Butia_BartowLibrary.jpg

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Here is an updated photo taken yesterday, of the Butia Catarinensis it grew pretty good this summer. First photo was taken from my bathroom window. 

IMG-1524.JPG

IMG-1540.JPG

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 4

That picture from your window is amazing, if you didn't know any better, you would never guess that's in Washington.  

Is that a vareigated Rhodo? 

35 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

That picture from your window is amazing, if you didn't know any better, you would never guess that's in Washington.  

Is that a vareigated Rhodo? 

Thanks Jesse,  No, but you can get variegated Rhododendrons easily.

This one is Maejima variegated winter daphane. extremely fragrance in Winter. 

Winter-Daphne-Marianni-4.jpg

Glad I asked, I'm going to have to find that.  I only have one daphne and the leaves are much smaller than that.  

9 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Glad I asked, I'm going to have to find that.  I only have one daphne and the leaves are much smaller than that.  

I bought mine at Home Depot. $8 each. They didn’t do so well for me and never really looked good so I ended up removing them.  Others in my neighborhood have them too but same problem. The flowers are quite fragrant in winter. 

Jesse you can get the variegated one at BnG nursery here. I've never had any problem with them in my climate they do like extra watering in summer. 

I went to Bark and Garden once.  I almost bought a Dyckia or Mangave, can't remember which one, even though it was $40 for a 1gallon.  Everything was pricey, and when I saw the row of 5 gal T fortunei for $130, it made me want to never support their business. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I went to Bark and Garden once.  I almost bought a Dyckia or Mangave, can't remember which one, even though it was $40 for a 1gallon.  Everything was pricey, and when I saw the row of 5 gal T fortunei for $130, it made me want to never support their business. 

I told you they were $$$.  You get some things cheaper down the road that's for sure.  

Would these do well in Phoenix?  I'd like to give one a try.  Just gotta find a 3g one somewhere.  I don't see it on Jungle Music.

7 hours ago, AZJakeB said:

Would these do well in Phoenix?  I'd like to give one a try.  Just gotta find a 3g one somewhere.  I don't see it on Jungle Music.

If you're talking about Butia catarinensis I'm not sure about Phoenix and yeah, no one apparently is growing, much less selling these, in large quantities.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:35 PM, AZJakeB said:

Aren't these also/were known as butia bonetti? I'm pretty sure I've seen Phil have these in the past.

12 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Aren't these also/were known as butia bonetti? I'm pretty sure I've seen Phil have these in the past.

Yeah, a quick search appears that was so....