IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Slow Growth Rate

Born

Greetings PalmTalk,

This is my first post. My passions are that I fly airplanes and grow palms. 

I have attached pictures of my two Trachycarpus Fortnei, one Phoenix Robellinii, and one Washingtonia Robusta. I have also attached my 2500 sq ft whole room humidifier that I use. Once a month, each tree is brought into the shower and, with warm water, I rinse each leaf and water the soil until there is drainage. 

As I live 2 hours south of Chicago, all trees are grown on the south facing windows in my condo. 

I am inquiring on how to slow the growth rate of the Washingtonia Robusta. Do I continue to use the small planter to prohibit growth height rate?

Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated. 

8D807B64-6085-4ABB-8CFD-6BE79E52EB36.jpeg

295E5018-E401-4030-8F17-BBED4DAA5843.jpeg

F7E451C4-B621-491C-8414-3877511F7BC1.jpeg

7401F3C9-6533-431C-AEAA-9489B7AE20E0.jpeg

Hello, The first photo with your Washingtonia Robusta looks a bit too big for the size of the tree, I wouldn't transplant in for at least 5 years, The true way to slow there growth is not to match there environment. lower light, cooler temps, depending on what the Plant likes, I have a Trachy and it was taking off like a rocket, but the humidity in my apartment now  is 45% and about 18 C. in lower light, it has slowed down quite a bit. hope this helps somewhat...I want to fly planes and I love Plants :P

Thank you for the response. 

The first photo is a Trachycarpus Fortnei. 

The third photo is the large Washingtonia Robusta (in the shower). I purchased a very small planter yesterday and placed the Washy in it. I suppose I will just keep the root ball from growing and expanding which should prohibit expedited growth. I am providing 50% humidity, fertilizer, porous soil, and south-facing light from a window. 

Again, thank you for your response.

Edited by Born