Collectorpalms

Sabal Causarium, Sabal Maritima, Sabal Domingensis Seeds

Collectorpalms

I have seeds I lost the label for and not sure if there is any difference in the three species seeds. I am going to grow them regardless. 

They were from Montgomery Botanical Garden seed auction. I got seeds from Sabal Maritima, domingensis, and Causarium. 

The seeds are rather small and dark, no bigger than a Sabal Palmettos.

Maybe if I can’t identify them as seeds, Someone will know if they look different as seedlings, so I know before they are decades old! 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Fusca

Ryan, domingensis seeds are much larger than palmetto seeds - just slightly smaller than mexicana seeds.  Seems to me that maritima and causiarum seeds are roughly the same size as palmetto, but there might be a difference of a mm or 2.  Seed differentiation will be your best bet - I seriously doubt that you could tell them apart as strap-leafed seedlings.  Can't get into Palmpedia at the moment, but maritima seeds are typically between 8.0-10.4 mm wide and 5.1-7.1 mm high.

• Like 2

Fusca

Got back into Palmpedia - correction to numbers given above:

"A similar size difference is found in the seeds: 8.0-10.4 mm in diameter, 5.1-7.1 mm high for S. domingensis versus 5.9-7.8 mm in diameter, 4.3-5.7 mm high for S. causiarum and 6.5-9.7mm in diameter, 4.5-6.2mm high, with a smooth (rarely some-what beaked) funicular remnant [for S. maritima]."

Collectorpalms
48 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Got back into Palmpedia - correction to numbers given above:

"A similar size difference is found in the seeds: 8.0-10.4 mm in diameter, 5.1-7.1 mm high for S. domingensis versus 5.9-7.8 mm in diameter, 4.3-5.7 mm high for S. causiarum and 6.5-9.7mm in diameter, 4.5-6.2mm high, with a smooth (rarely some-what beaked) funicular remnant [for S. maritima]."

I have gotten a little confused reading that.
It’s giving height and Diameter for them? 

What are the size of palmetto in mm?

Collectorpalms

Sabal Domingenus; D 8.0-10.4, H 5.1-7.1mm

Sabal Causarium; D 5.9-7.8, H 4.3-5.7mm

Sabal Maritima; D 6.5-9.8, H 4.5-6.2mm

So what exactly does that last line ranslate to: smooth (rarely some-what beaked) funicular remnant [for S. maritima]."

is that the Protective seed outer pod?

Edited by Collectorpalms

Fusca
14 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I have gotten a little confused reading that.
It’s giving height and Diameter for them?

What are the size of palmetto in mm?

Yes, makes sense to give height and diameter because the referenced seeds are not spheres but are round and flattened at the top.  Palmetto seeds are a bit more spherical in shape and Palmpedia lists them as 8 mm in diameter.  I believe what is meant by "funicular remnant" is the bump at the flat end of the seed where the seed connected to the ovary wall of the fruit.  On most Brahea seeds it is pretty obvious as seen in the photo below:

Brahea_seed.jpg

• Like 1

Collectorpalms

I have never examined them down to the mm before. Do ONLY Sabal Maritima seeds have that funicular remnant? I looked through the seeds and some still have the outer coating that looks JUST like the picture above. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Fusca
12 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I have never examined them down to the mm before. Do ONLY Sabal Maritima seeds have that funicular remnant? I looked through the seeds and some still have the outer coating that looks JUST like the picture above. 

No, not sure exactly what that quote from Palmpedia was really pointing out.  The flat side of the S. maritima seed might look somewhat different than other Sabal seeds but I doubt it.  In the photo below, the seeds at the top are S. mexicana and the one in the very center shows the flattened side face up showing the funicular remnant while the others are flat side down.  The photo above from my last post was a Brahea armata seed.

5bbe419ee3b3b_Sabalseeds.jpg.30383ce7ba44d302714be3b952dfa378.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today we stopped at our local deli for lunch. As we were leaving I noticed two large Phoenix palms on each side of the driveway. One was loaded with seeds while the other, a male, was not. The fruits were still green and were 1" long x 1/2" wide. The seeds are 3/4" x 3/8". The Phoenix genus is not my favorite but these two palms were spectacular beneath the sunlit sky. They have been cared for and pruned judiciously and were perfect. I saw no other Phoenix palms nearby. My question is: Can anyone tell me what hybrids these two palms could be (almost all Phoenix in FL are hybrids)? Is anyone interested in seeds when they ripen? If the offspring take after the parents they should turn out to be awesome palms. I hope everyone agrees. I took the following photos:
      Phoenix species/hybrid
      Fruit and seeds

Male palm

Seeding Female palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Freshly harvested Archo cunninghamiana seeds for Sale. Read about it below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_cunninghamiana
      See Breakdown:
      Archonotophoenix cunninghamiana seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot                  Minimum Purchase: $10.00
                                                                          100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00 for up to 200 seeds. For higher quantities, ask for a shipping quote. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      You are welcome to mix & match with other Archonotophoenix seeds I have listed
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you wish to purchase and give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Freshly harvested Archo tuckeri seeds for Sale. Read about it below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_tuckeri
      See Breakdown:
      Archonotophoenix tuckeri seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot                  Minimum Purchase: $10.00
                                                           100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00 for up to 200 seeds. For higher quantities, ask for a shipping quote. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      You are welcome to mix & match with other Archonotophoenix seeds I have listed
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you wish to purchase and give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've got fresh seeds I collected from a silver Copernicia prunifera in a Fort Myers City palm park. This year is the first time I have ever seen this palm seeding. I believe that because of covid-19 city maintenance on its palm parks has lagged - normally groundskeepers cut down inflorescenses. Many palms in this park are now flowering and seeding so I hope to find more interesting palm seeds later this year. Unless, of course, the City gets its act together again. Read about this species below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Copernicia_prunifera
      See Breakdown:
      Copernicia prunifera seeds: $0.25 each                  Minimum Purchase: $10.00
      Payment via Paypal
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we traveled back to the Fort Myers Palm Park in downtown on Martin Luther King Ave to check on the status of two seeding Copernicias. I also took a few minutes to take photos of other palms.
      Sabal palmetto Lisa x2: These are the wild Sabal Lisas rescued from certain destruction during renovations of I-75 about 10 years ago. The City of Ft. Myers donated space in this palm park where they will live in perpetuity. Notice that the palm on the right holds on to its boots; the one on the left does not. The palm on the left is my avatar.

Dypsis cabadae: very pretty and elegant

Syagrus schizophylla with seeds

Serenoa repens Silver: well trimmed and flowering