bubba

Post your Areca vestiaria palms

bubba

E4E9F61C-3807-4349-8A58-8043CEFF7D3A.thumb.jpeg.c4b5eae59a5bdc0224406c83541eb129.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

John hovancsek

This is a fast growing palm for me

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

John hovancsek

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

bubba

Blue Hawaii! Sweet!

Kim

I have a few. They are prolific germinators.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpg.38b60a94ebd3abc693d5149bbe426880.jpg

IMG_2430.thumb.jpg.0ed3a2a6985b571a3f92c13c4a472a48.jpg

DSC_0283.thumb.jpg.0f9f4c9ad1887c458ca884c5dc322db2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

John hovancsek
3 hours ago, Kim said:

I have a few. They are prolific germinators.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpg.38b60a94ebd3abc693d5149bbe426880.jpg

IMG_2430.thumb.jpg.0ed3a2a6985b571a3f92c13c4a472a48.jpg

DSC_0283.thumb.jpg.0f9f4c9ad1887c458ca884c5dc322db2.jpg

I was hoping you were going to bless us with that amazing trail you have in your garden. Stunning 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Kim

Thanks John! :shaka-2:

• Like 1

bubba

Those blue Hawaii Areca vestiaria make the one’s in Florida look kinda silly!

John hovancsek
17 hours ago, bubba said:

Those blue Hawaii Areca vestiaria make the one’s in Florida look kinda silly!

I can’t tell you how many times I tried to grow this palm in Florida. So I wouldn’t call it silly, I would call it a miracle 

• Like 1

palmsOrl

What is it about this species that makes it such a tough grow in South Florida?

John hovancsek
1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

I think the rain here is all the time and we never see below 55 degrees at night

• Upvote 1

ruskinPalms

These are all gorgeous palms! So, what is the coldest low these can take before dying? And if they froze to the ground would they grow back from the roots? Also, can they take full sun for al least 2/3 of the day in winter? I have a very warm and sunny south facing wall on the back side of my two story house that gets lots of sun in the winter and is a very moist place overall. During the last advective freeze here in Jan 2018, some adonidias and heliconias in this spot were not burned or killed at all. If these have about the same hardiness as Adonidia, then I’d be willing to try the maroon clumping form 

Palms Brisbane
12 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

These are all gorgeous palms! So, what is the coldest low these can take before dying? And if they froze to the ground would they grow back from the roots? Also, can they take full sun for al least 2/3 of the day in winter? I have a very warm and sunny south facing wall on the back side of my two story house that gets lots of sun in the winter and is a very moist place overall. During the last advective freeze here in Jan 2018, some adonidias and heliconias in this spot were not burned or killed at all. If these have about the same hardiness as Adonidia, then I’d be willing to try the maroon clumping form 

My understanding will die in anything not sub-tropical to Tropical.

Kaname-kun

I have several here in Fort Lauderdale, planted from 1 gals and over ten feet tall in 4 years. They are an easy grow for me. They are in the light shade of some giant bald cypress trees. 

IMG_4220.jpeg

Edited by Kaname-kun
add photo
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

The Palm Nut

After the flood I had to cut back some of the palms to let in some light to dry things out, good time for photo's. These are some of mine, the tallest is about 30 years old from seedling. All others were a few years old when planted. I have lost a few due to cold but mostly these do fine in a northerly aspect on the Mid North Coast of NSW Australia

IMG_20210427_112239.jpg

IMG_20210427_112145.jpg

IMG_20210427_112221.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Rick Kelley

I don't think anyone would be happy with this palm if it froze to the ground once every three to five years and then tried to recover from the roots (if that is even possible).  The selling feature of this species is the amazing color of the crownshaft that develops as it matures and begins blooming.  If it has to start all over again periodically, it will probably never reach full color.  Plus, you really need those clumps of brilliant red fruit to get the full effect. And don't forget those incredible stilt roots! This is one species that just might be worth moving somewhere that's perpetually warm and wet.

516745849_Arecavesteria185.thumb.jpg.9dab3742c7934fa348434c344e934794.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Palm Tree Jim

Wish I could but they all died...…not surprised.

Great pictures all!

redant
On 4/25/2021 at 3:03 PM, palmsOrl said:

On my third try now, these seem to be doing well, I water them above the regular irrigation and have added lots of organic material. The spot drains easily. So far so good, no problem with this past winter, we hit the upper 30's once or twice. Filtered sunlight.

ruskinPalms
2 hours ago, redant said:

On my third try now, these seem to be doing well, I water them above the regular irrigation and have added lots of organic material. The spot drains easily. So far so good, no problem with this past winter, we hit the upper 30's once or twice. Filtered sunlight.

What killed them on the other two tries? I hit around 27F to 28F in Jan 2018 in my area, but otherwise it has been above freezing here every other winter since i moved here in spring 2015. I doubt it was actually 27 in the spot where I would plant these as it is very sheltered from north winds and right against a south facing wall. Again, heliconias were untouched in this spot in Jan 2018. But, I doubt these are worth a try for me. Sigh...

• Upvote 1

redant
20 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

What killed them on the other two tries? I hit around 27F to 28F in Jan 2018 in my area, but otherwise it has been above freezing here every other winter since i moved here in spring 2015. I doubt it was actually 27 in the spot where I would plant these as it is very sheltered from north winds and right against a south facing wall. Again, heliconias were untouched in this spot in Jan 2018. But, I doubt these are worth a try for me. Sigh...

One area was really to dry, so the next time I tried down in my swampy area, I think this was to wet. They seem to like constant to be constantly moist but not wet, not in standing water.

palmsOrl

I ordered this little Areca vestiaria orange form last night.  I actually prefer the look of both the leaves and the color of the crownshaft on the orange form. This small specimen looks almost pure red but based on the leaves it is definitely the orange form.

My understanding is that these are about as cold sensitive as Adonidia.  Definitely a 10b palm.

Based on Doug's experience, I will not keep it as wet as Cyrtostachys renda.

Screenshot_20210512-180453~2.png

Screenshot_20210511-230205~2.png

• Like 1

palmsOrl

Palm arrived in one day after being shipped.  A lovely young specimen if I do say so myself.  I am going to resist repotting it until it starts getting just slightly root-bound.

-Michael

IMG_20210513_200307824.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

waykoolplantz

great color

0E7EE6D7-5002-4FC1-820F-1C337674DEDD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2