IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your Areca vestiaria palms

bubba

I have a few. They are prolific germinators.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpg.38b60a94ebd3abc693d5149bbe426880.jpg

IMG_2430.thumb.jpg.0ed3a2a6985b571a3f92c13c4a472a48.jpg

DSC_0283.thumb.jpg.0f9f4c9ad1887c458ca884c5dc322db2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

3 hours ago, Kim said:

I have a few. They are prolific germinators.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpg.38b60a94ebd3abc693d5149bbe426880.jpg

IMG_2430.thumb.jpg.0ed3a2a6985b571a3f92c13c4a472a48.jpg

DSC_0283.thumb.jpg.0f9f4c9ad1887c458ca884c5dc322db2.jpg

I was hoping you were going to bless us with that amazing trail you have in your garden. Stunning 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Thanks John! :shaka-2:

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Those blue Hawaii Areca vestiaria make the one’s in Florida look kinda silly!

What you look for is what is looking

17 hours ago, bubba said:

Those blue Hawaii Areca vestiaria make the one’s in Florida look kinda silly!

I can’t tell you how many times I tried to grow this palm in Florida. So I wouldn’t call it silly, I would call it a miracle 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

What is it about this species that makes it such a tough grow in South Florida?

I think the rain here is all the time and we never see below 55 degrees at night

• Upvote 1

These are all gorgeous palms! So, what is the coldest low these can take before dying? And if they froze to the ground would they grow back from the roots? Also, can they take full sun for al least 2/3 of the day in winter? I have a very warm and sunny south facing wall on the back side of my two story house that gets lots of sun in the winter and is a very moist place overall. During the last advective freeze here in Jan 2018, some adonidias and heliconias in this spot were not burned or killed at all. If these have about the same hardiness as Adonidia, then I’d be willing to try the maroon clumping form 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

12 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

These are all gorgeous palms! So, what is the coldest low these can take before dying? And if they froze to the ground would they grow back from the roots? Also, can they take full sun for al least 2/3 of the day in winter? I have a very warm and sunny south facing wall on the back side of my two story house that gets lots of sun in the winter and is a very moist place overall. During the last advective freeze here in Jan 2018, some adonidias and heliconias in this spot were not burned or killed at all. If these have about the same hardiness as Adonidia, then I’d be willing to try the maroon clumping form 

My understanding will die in anything not sub-tropical to Tropical.

• Like 1

I have several here in Fort Lauderdale, planted from 1 gals and over ten feet tall in 4 years. They are an easy grow for me. They are in the light shade of some giant bald cypress trees. 

IMG_4220.jpeg

Edited by Kaname-kun
add photo
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

After the flood I had to cut back some of the palms to let in some light to dry things out, good time for photo's. These are some of mine, the tallest is about 30 years old from seedling. All others were a few years old when planted. I have lost a few due to cold but mostly these do fine in a northerly aspect on the Mid North Coast of NSW Australia

IMG_20210427_112239.jpg

IMG_20210427_112145.jpg

IMG_20210427_112221.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I don't think anyone would be happy with this palm if it froze to the ground once every three to five years and then tried to recover from the roots (if that is even possible).  The selling feature of this species is the amazing color of the crownshaft that develops as it matures and begins blooming.  If it has to start all over again periodically, it will probably never reach full color.  Plus, you really need those clumps of brilliant red fruit to get the full effect. And don't forget those incredible stilt roots! This is one species that just might be worth moving somewhere that's perpetually warm and wet.

516745849_Arecavesteria185.thumb.jpg.9dab3742c7934fa348434c344e934794.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Wish I could but they all died...…not surprised.

Great pictures all!

On 4/25/2021 at 3:03 PM, palmsOrl said:

What is it about this species that makes it such a tough grow in South Florida?

On my third try now, these seem to be doing well, I water them above the regular irrigation and have added lots of organic material. The spot drains easily. So far so good, no problem with this past winter, we hit the upper 30's once or twice. Filtered sunlight.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

2 hours ago, redant said:

On my third try now, these seem to be doing well, I water them above the regular irrigation and have added lots of organic material. The spot drains easily. So far so good, no problem with this past winter, we hit the upper 30's once or twice. Filtered sunlight.

What killed them on the other two tries? I hit around 27F to 28F in Jan 2018 in my area, but otherwise it has been above freezing here every other winter since i moved here in spring 2015. I doubt it was actually 27 in the spot where I would plant these as it is very sheltered from north winds and right against a south facing wall. Again, heliconias were untouched in this spot in Jan 2018. But, I doubt these are worth a try for me. Sigh...

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

20 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

What killed them on the other two tries? I hit around 27F to 28F in Jan 2018 in my area, but otherwise it has been above freezing here every other winter since i moved here in spring 2015. I doubt it was actually 27 in the spot where I would plant these as it is very sheltered from north winds and right against a south facing wall. Again, heliconias were untouched in this spot in Jan 2018. But, I doubt these are worth a try for me. Sigh...

One area was really to dry, so the next time I tried down in my swampy area, I think this was to wet. They seem to like constant to be constantly moist but not wet, not in standing water.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered this little Areca vestiaria orange form last night.  I actually prefer the look of both the leaves and the color of the crownshaft on the orange form. This small specimen looks almost pure red but based on the leaves it is definitely the orange form.

My understanding is that these are about as cold sensitive as Adonidia.  Definitely a 10b palm.

Based on Doug's experience, I will not keep it as wet as Cyrtostachys renda.

Screenshot_20210512-180453~2.png

Screenshot_20210511-230205~2.png

• Like 2

Palm arrived in one day after being shipped.  A lovely young specimen if I do say so myself.  I am going to resist repotting it until it starts getting just slightly root-bound.

-Michael

IMG_20210513_200307824.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread. 

How thirsty are these as seedlings? I keep mine in a tray of water just like my lipstick baby and my Lyto, and the Areca seems to drink it all up in a night where the others take a few days. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bought an Areca vestiaria Red Form to try,

I have always heard that this palm is challenging in Florida for many so not sure this is a good idea, but will give it a try,

I would like to put it into the ground at a spot with filtered light.

I have seen these in a solitary form and clustering form, are the stilt roots exclusive to the solitary form?

Any guidance as to what soil mix is best when planting into the ground would be splendid...I am in south Florida...can it take an occasional low 40s high 30s?

IMG_20240323_131340.jpg.58ec33eba7f87a375c76e6e905d53b5e.jpg

• Like 2

For me, in your neighborhood, this red clumping form has not been as vigorous as the orange solitary trunk form. I have two large red clumping ones but have lost many smaller ones. My suggestion would be to leave it in a pot (transplant to a larger pot if/when necessary) until it is four or five feet tall. Put the pot where you plan to plant it eventually.  I have had mine in the ground since 2017, and none of our winter weather has bothered them.

They both grow stilt roots when they get larger. If you like stilt roots, try Verschaffeltia splendida. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

For me, in your neighborhood, this red clumping form has not been as vigorous as the orange solitary trunk form. I have two large red clumping ones but have lost many smaller ones. My suggestion would be to leave it in a pot (transplant to a larger pot if/when necessary) until it is four or five feet tall. Put the pot where you plan to plant it eventually.  I have had mine in the ground since 2017, and none of our winter weather has bothered them.

They both grow stilt roots when they get larger. If you like stilt roots, try Verschaffeltia splendida. 

Thanks Jeff, I'll keep it in a pot until 4-5 feet before planting then.  Keeping fingers crossed.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

Bumping an old thread. 

How thirsty are these as seedlings? I keep mine in a tray of water just like my lipstick baby and my Lyto, and the Areca seems to drink it all up in a night where the others take a few days. 

I only have a tiny seedling but it is as thirsty as a full grown palm. I water it every day.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Here are some of mine. Three in the first photo, one single two clumping.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d6851808b5b1377fd5534bffbcc87ae.jpeg

The clumper in the photo above up close. About 5 feet. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c69e8dcea4d518829a7621ccd9258687.jpeg

A single trunk. 

image.thumb.jpeg.513ad8a98b141379ef424672c76f3cd6.jpeg

Another clumper, close to 6 feet.

image.thumb.jpeg.8afedecf609ff70ce4fc67ec72e6a040.jpeg

• Like 3