IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any Royal Poinciana action yet?

bubba

Has anyone seen any Delonix regia popping yet? If so, please post!

What you look for is what is looking

I have seen a few with the first few flowers starting to bloom but nothing worth posting quite yet. Perhaps with the rains over the past few days more will be induced to bloom more fully.

• Like 2

Nope, we are not going to see any flowers in Texas for a long time.  Most if not all of the trees were killed by the freeze.  Its a shame because the RGV had a lot of nice trees.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Nope, we are not going to see any flowers in Texas for a long time.  Most if not all of the trees were killed by the freeze.  Its a shame because the RGV had a lot of nice trees.

None survived down there? :(

• Like 1

I have yet to see any green from any of them.  Maybe Brownsville has some but I haven't gone there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I have yet to see any green from any of them.  Maybe Brownsville has some but I haven't gone there.

Bummer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

6 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Bummer.

Curious how quick they are from seed to first flowers down there..

• Like 1

Hope more than estimated survived. I certainly hope Delonix regia is replanted in RGV. The climate is too tropical not to do so.

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

8 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Curious how quick they are from seed to first flowers down there..

These trees are very fast grower if you water them well, which a lot of people down here don't do.  Delonix regia from my experience flower at a very young age.  Probably 2-3 years from seed, but it will be many years until they will be show stoppers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bubba said:

Hope more than estimated survived. I certainly hope Delonix regia is replanted in RGV. The climate is too tropical not to do so.

I'm with you.  I hope they replant.  I remember each spring driving on I2 and all you would see is a sea of red.  All I see know is dead brown trees.  I haven't been to the nurseries to see if they are getting any in.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

5 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

These trees are very fast grower if you water them well, which a lot of people down here don't do.  Delonix regia from my experience flower at a very young age.  Probably 2-3 years from seed, but it will be many years until they will be show stoppers.

Interesting,  That's much faster than i'd have thought..  Though the climate there may facilitate rapid growth / development, more easily than in other places.. Can't remember where i'd heard this but was told they can take roughly 7 years before reaching flowering age..  Had a few i'd started from seed collected in FL that sat and didn't do much, them faded out here yet other people i've talked to had theirs grow rapidly.

Is slowly becoming more common around Phoenix, and further west in both the Desert ( around Palm Springs, Indio, and the Coachella area ), and also closer to the coast around San Diego/ Los Angeles. Ones here, well, many i've seen usually stay smaller than the massive trees in FL. but flower regularly and heavily. Trees in San Diego / around L.A. can get surprisingly big - for the area-, as i'm sure you've seen posted here from time to time. Need to start more seed soon, let alone get seed of the yellow - flowering form.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Interesting,  That's much faster than i'd have thought..  Though the climate there may facilitate rapid growth / development, more easily than in other places.. Can't remember where i'd heard this but was told they can take roughly 7 years before reaching flowering age..  Had a few i'd started from seed collected in FL that sat and didn't do much, them faded out here yet other people i've talked to had theirs grow rapidly.

Is slowly becoming more common around Phoenix, and further west in both the Desert ( around Palm Springs, Indio, and the Coachella area ), and also closer to the coast around San Diego/ Los Angeles. Ones here, well, many i've seen usually stay smaller than the massive trees in FL. but flower regularly and heavily. Trees in San Diego / around L.A. can get surprisingly big - for the area-, as i'm sure you've seen posted here from time to time. Need to start more seed soon, let alone get seed of the yellow - flowering form.

That 7 year might be true in most cases.  I grew one from seed a long time ago and it flowered 2-3 years after planting.  It was a very small tree and it looked funny that such a small tree had flowers on it.  That tree was killed, I don't remember if it was during the hard freeze of 2010 or the ice storm of 2011.  My case might be the exception rather than the rule.  But your right it might be 7 years before they flower from seed.  

One of my grandma's friend years ago gave me a yellow flowering tree and was in the ground for years.  That tree never flowered to confirm that it was yellow and again was killed during 2010/2011 hard freeze/ice storm.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

That 7 year might be true in most cases.  I grew one from seed a long time ago and it flowered 2-3 years after planting.  It was a very small tree and it looked funny that such a small tree had flowers on it.  That tree was killed, I don't remember if it was during the hard freeze of 2010 or the ice storm of 2011.  My case might be the exception rather than the rule.  But your right it might be 7 years before they flower from seed.  

One of my grandma's friend years ago gave me a yellow flowering tree and was in the ground for years.  That tree never flowered to confirm that it was yellow and again was killed during 2010/2011 hard freeze/ice storm.

There was a specimen i'd pass almost daily in Bradenton that looked as though the top had been destroyed, but came back, close to the ground, and was flowering like crazy.. a sort of Bonsai -if you wanted to call it that-  Have to admit i kind of like some of the smaller sized ones i have seen over the monsters, though i wouldn't mind a few of those on my property.

Grow a couple other Delonix sp. that have had no issues w/ our winters as well.

16 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Do you think they will come back from the roots?  My hunch is that they will. 
My next door neighbor's pathetic orchid tree is coming back from the roots.  (It's either a Hong Kong or variegated orchid tree)  I thought it was a complete goner.  Her tree was already pathetic compared to other orchid trees in San Antonio.  Hers is in a exposed location, in the north side of town and died back so often that it rarely bloomed, but several weeks ago growth began at the base.

There are Delonix in Brownsville, Texas sprouting from 5-10 ft up on the main trunk. Some of the monsters might have some growth on the lower parts of thick branches. 

• Like 4

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Today I passed by the trees planted along the interstate in Mercedes and one of maybe 10 trees is starting to sprout like @Xenon said 5 feet or so up on the trunk.  It is possible for them to sprout from the roots but I haven't seen that.  Only time will tell.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, bubba said:

Wow! Is that going on now or 6 months ago?

6 months ago, our season is Oct-Dec
20201104_135125.thumb.jpg.06ebce8f1d87c6cacf6b4b1005b9c442.jpg

And yes, about 5 to 7 years before flowering from seedling.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one Royal Poinciana starting to sprout from the trunk in Mercedes.  The one to the right is probably dead.  I don't see any green on that one.20210506_110511.thumb.jpg.c3bad240a76312980ca86bce8d1677e1.jpg

• Like 5

I have 2 of these trees. Leafing out now,but no flowers till June.They take 7 or 8 years from seed till first flowers are produced in AZ on fast growing trees.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona.

16203391980986174518767469967857.jpg

16203393582208471872148361745047.jpg

• Like 5

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

12 minutes ago, aztropic said:

I have 2 of these trees. Leafing out now,but no flowers till June.They take 7 or 8 years from seed till first flowers are produced in AZ on fast growing trees.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona.

16203391980986174518767469967857.jpg

16203393582208471872148361745047.jpg

Im jealous of your royals.  Mine were killed in the freeze.

• Like 2

I was just in the Ft. Worth area last week and almost every palm I saw appeared dead. :wacko:

Tree removal companies and nurseries should be doing well this year.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Just starting now in Arizona.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210516_153502160.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

• 4 months later...

Royal poinciana flowers just finishing up in Arizona. This tree flowered non stop all summer until now. Very fast growing, spectacular, tropical flowering tree if your climate allows you to grow one.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20211016_145620720_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona