IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California water restrictions?

ExperimentalGrower

I moved from Arizona to Florida to laguna beach CA from 2009-2011 and noted that almost everything was on drippers in arizona, and in Socal almost nothing was on drippers even worse than florida.  Our place in laguna had popup sprinklers that watered much of the street in broad daylight in laguna beach.  I can agree that californians can save a lot of water by putting in drip irrigation.  But farming is 60%(?) or so of water usage its not even domnated by residential.  Maybe they need to support desalination like EV'as a critical part of the "green" future.  But desalination must go forward and be get more financial support, the future is looming and the state will probably have further migration influxes.  Saudi arabia produces half of its water by desalination.  At the very least you can turn to it in drier years so it doesnt have to be heavily used all the time.  Pea power electric is more expensive and perhaps water in drought will need t be until they technology lowers cost.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Seriously how has California, with a GDP the size of 3.2 trillion, constant water shortages and rolling power blackouts, not implemented something like the Perth Wave Energy & desalination plant in Australia?

They accomplished this for a couple million dollars back in 2013. The wave energy pumps ocean water into a desalination plant which is also powered by the ocean waves, and any excess energy goes to the grid.

Carnegie

Edited by floridaPalmMan
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

I moved from Arizona to Florida to laguna beach CA from 2009-2011 and noted that almost everything was on drippers in arizona, and in Socal almost nothing was on drippers even worse than florida.  Our place in laguna had popup sprinklers that watered much of the street in broad daylight in laguna beach.  I can agree that californians can save a lot of water by putting in drip irrigation.  But farming is 60%(?) or so of water usage its not even domnated by residential.  Maybe they need to support desalination like EV'as a critical part of the "green" future.  But desalination must go forward and be get more financial support, the future is looming and the state will probably have further migration influxes.  Saudi arabia produces half of its water by desalination.  At the very least you can turn to it in drier years so it doesnt have to be heavily used all the time.  Pea power electric is more expensive and perhaps water in drought will need t be until they technology lowers cost.

Just 10% of California’s total water use is in urban and residential areas. In other words, if the millions of residents in CA used absolutely no water at all, the state, as a whole, would use only 10% less water than it otherwise does. 

0FC73C46-654D-4B0E-9DEF-2FAE3A9D5439.thumb.png.a1d65679231200ca9a5c10143f6a8341.png

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

2 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Seriously how has California, with a GDP the size of 3.2 trillion, constant water shortages and rolling power blackouts, not implemented something like the Perth Wave Energy & desalination plant in Australia?

They accomplished this for a couple million dollars back in 2013. The wave energy pumps ocean water into a desalination plant which is also powered by the ocean waves, and any excess energy goes to the grid.

Carnegie

Because California is plagued by endless bureaucracy. Hint: check out the stupid, virtually pointless “high speed” rail project. If by “high speed” they meant “Prius speed” then ya pretty much makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Because California is plagued by endless bureaucracy. Hint: check out the stupid, virtually pointless “high speed” rail project. If by “high speed” they meant “Prius speed” then ya pretty much makes sense.

I’m going to lay the truth out there for everyone who either doesn’t know or doesn’t want to believe it true because they are so brainwashed……..WE HAVE THE DUMBEST POLITICIANS AND VOTERS IN THE NATION! Whether it be the total lack of spending money on infrastructure (i.e. aquifers to curb the never ending drought etc) to taxes, to schools, to everything else 68% of the idiots vote for here. They have permanently ruined this state and are scattering to other states to destroy them as we speak.  The state is too far gone. As @Jim in Los Altos said…only 10% of the water is used by the public. Restricting our water for months and months is literally the equivalent of a days usage, if that. People who believe they would be making a difference are the same people we’ve seen for the last 15 months wearing masks while driving convertibles. Sheep

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Billeb said:

I’m going to lay the truth out there for everyone who either doesn’t know or doesn’t want to believe it true because they are so brainwashed……..WE HAVE THE DUMBEST POLITICIANS AND VOTERS IN THE NATION! Whether it be the total lack of spending money on infrastructure (i.e. aquifers to curb the never ending drought etc) to taxes, to schools, to everything else 68% of the idiots vote for here. They have permanently ruined this state and are scattering to other states to destroy them as we speak.  The state is too far gone. As @Jim in Los Altos said…only 10% of the water is used by the public. Restricting our water for months and months is literally the equivalent of a days usage, if that. People who believe they would be making a difference are the same people we’ve seen for the last 15 months wearing masks while driving convertibles. Sheep

Don't like the state, perhaps there are others worth exploring..  Those supposed " Greener pastures "..  Simple as that.  Over people constantly complaining about it.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Billeb said:

My comment wasn’t meant to dog any particular political party. Very not interested in having a politic debate on Palmtalk, lol. But as far as I’m concerned all politicians from both major political parties are derelict and unable to make any major progress towards projects we very much need.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When lobbyists run your government and politicians are the puppets, democracy is broken and you cant expect any vision of the future.  Only the people can change this, and I fear things will get worse before they get better.  Informed voters are needed to get this done and parroting talking points and twitter statements doesn't inform anyone.  With all the garbage editorial content on the internet, todays voters are less informed than I have ever seen in my lifetime, but they often think they "know all the facts" because they have read self ascribed "fact checkers" who are often just political hacks.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

It took 14 years, but Carlsbad, California (San Diego County) has a functioning desalination plant. It produces 50 million gallons a day. Sounds like a lot?

California as a whole uses 38 billion gallons per day, as of a 2010 USGS measurement. You can see the scale of the problem. This is the largest of the 11 desalination plants in California.

About the plant: https://www.carlsbaddesal.com

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sorry - but things have become too political. Topic closed, but left for viewing.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.