IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia

JLM

Went to the Blue big box store lastnight and picked up a little washingtonia, going to plant it. A few questions that i have about planting location. My yard has ver few spots that dont flood during heavy rain events, would it mind the standing water? I know they would not like wet feet, but im sure they would love some water. ID seems to be more of a robusta, has teeth but the teeth are green and not purple and frond bases have some purple but there is also lots of green. Leads me to believe that it might just be a filibusta with heavy robusta characteristics.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Try it out and see what happens.  They tend to yellow off if they get too wet, so you'll know in a few months whether it is too much or not.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Try it out and see what happens.  They tend to yellow off if they get too wet, so you'll know in a few months whether it is too much or not.

Looked at comparisons of filifera and robusta today, its 100% robusta no questions asked. I will be looking for higher spots in the yard for planting, dont want it too close to the house, which kind of makes it hard to find a spot lol

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I planted a row of Washingtonia. Those that were near a drainage area that flooded grew much slower than those that were not flooded. 

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I feel like people often mention them being planted along the side of water features where their roots essentially stay wet almost always, and they still observe strong growth. I’m of the notion that these guys are essentially bullet proof and can handle anything you throw at them. I’d think as long as your soil was very clay-based you should be okay since it’ll drain pretty quickly after rain events. 

• Like 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

These that grew slowly were in a low drainage area in clay with little oxygen in the soil. 
This is Not the same as planting along a water feature were they are dry at surface but can send roots downwards.

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Totally get that - the clay probably played just as large a role there as the moisture. 

Palms make me laugh. As palm nuts, we think “Oh, I’m in zone #! I am going to grow every species that can live here!” Only to then find out your soil and water conditions can make some thrive and others decline and look miserable. I guess this could be true for most plant genuses, but since I’m not as familiar with so many species of other ones I wouldn’t know. 

• Like 4

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

On 4/21/2021 at 12:17 PM, JLM said:

Went to the Blue big box store lastnight and picked up a little washingtonia, going to plant it. A few questions that i have about planting location. My yard has ver few spots that dont flood during heavy rain events, would it mind the standing water? I know they would not like wet feet, but im sure they would love some water. ID seems to be more of a robusta, has teeth but the teeth are green and not purple and frond bases have some purple but there is also lots of green. Leads me to believe that it might just be a filibusta with heavy robusta characteristics.

I would probably plant only in a well drained site.   I lost a one gallon from wallyworld due to too much wet.  (I think that's why I lost it)  It just didn't grow and had some browning, so I pulled it out about several months later.  We were going through a wet spell and it didn't look good and I took it out because I didn't want a "problem palm"...Also it was too close to my house.  

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

Good idea not to plant next to a house I had to cut my fence back for the 75 footer in my yard The Base is almost 5 feet across

20210422_152202.jpg

20210422_152247.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Washy in the ground!

20210515_143141.jpg

• Upvote 3