IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill Palm(Trachycarpus fortunei) help

Honez

Hello all, I am new to the forums.  I have 2 windmill palms and 2 pindo palms.   I am having some problems with one of my windmill palms (Trachycarpus fortunei) .  Details are below:

-The center spear pulled and it's newest fronds also seem to be dying. 

-They just came out of the winter shelter 3 weeks ago.  It basically just protects them from rain and wind during winter. 

-They have well draining soil.

-I only water once the top 3-4 inches of soil is dry.

-Fertilized for the first time this year today with JR Peters Jacks Classic Palm Food.

-Once a week I have poured hydrogen peroxide into the crown.

My question would be can this survive?

I am from the NC/SC coastal border and my only palm experience has been with sabal palmettos/cabbage palms.  I have no idea how to take care of these windmill or pindo palms.  So I will continue researching on here.  Thank you for your help and time!

image_67238401.JPG

image_67216641.JPG

image_67216897.JPG

Edited by Honez

How cold did they get in the pots?  Are you planting them?   What enclosure where they in?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I'm no expert but it sounds like you've done everything right.

This happened to a couple of my queens this spring but I just did what you did and they recently began to recover.

Fertilized, peroxided the hole from the spear pull, let the outside sunlight hit them and a couple weeks later new green growth appeared.

I can't remember where I read it but apparently the Windmill (fortunei) is regarded as one of the, if not the toughest palm in the world so that's something to help ease your mind.

Good luck! Update us if you see new growth appear

Edited by floridaPalmMan

Not sure how cold they got in the pots.  They were in a fully built greenhouse type structure.  Really just a shed with framing, no walls or roof, with 2 layers of 6 or 8 mill plastic and some insulation on the bottom floor and lower side walls.  It had a small vent.  It mostly just protected from the cold winds, rain, and frost of winter.  The other palms look fine besides this one. 

1 hour ago, floridaPalmMan said:

I'm no expert but it sounds like you've done everything right.

This happened to a couple of my queens this spring but I just did what you did and they recently began to recover.

Fertilized, peroxided the hole from the spear pull, let the outside sunlight hit them and a couple weeks later new green growth appeared.

I can't remember where I read it but apparently the Windmill (fortunei) is regarded as one of the, if not the toughest palm in the world so that's something to help ease your mind.

Good luck! Update us if you see new growth appear

Thank you for the help.  Only thing I can't figure out is if they want full sun or part half day's worth of sun. 

I have seen several youtube videos of a butia and a windmill crown's rotting and getting fixed.  They just cut out the the rot and cleaned it out, then put hydrogen peroxide down there.  I did the same thing so hopefully once we get really good weather it will start growing. 

I even saw a guy saw off the top half of his windmill that he thought was dead and it started growing more fronds out of the top where he saw it.

Hopefully it survives.  I will post more if it goes down hill or if it starts recovering.

4 minutes ago, Honez said:

I have seen several youtube videos of a butia and a windmill crown's rotting and getting fixed.  They just cut out the the rot and cleaned it out, then put hydrogen peroxide down there.  I did the same thing so hopefully once we get really good weather it will start growing. 

I even saw a guy saw off the top half of his windmill that he thought was dead and it started growing more fronds out of the top where he saw it.

There are several pics and surgeries like the type you're referring to from the recent Texas cold hit.

You can read through some of those threads on the forum to see the drastic measures and surgeries taken by people here to save their palms (like cutting it down until hitting living flesh)

Your case doesn't look to be that severe since the fronds are alive and still green but again... I'm no expert so not the best person to give advice.

Was Alabama hit with the severe arctic blast this winter? What was the lowest temp your area saw?

We got it for like a day maybe a day and a half.  Started at night ended the following night/morning.  We got the leading edge of snow and cold temps at night and the following day.  Daytime temps stayed above freezing and mostly in the 40's after that time.  It was the only real cold spell of winter for us.  Temps were just below freezing in the shelter where the palms were for the winter.  I didn't feel the need to fire up the heater in there.  This one was by the door and vent so maybe it froze a little from that one time.  Next year if it gets below 30 I will keep the heater on.