IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New majesty palm - what am I doing wrong?

MaryKate

Hi there! I bought a majesty palm two weeks ago from a local nursery. A few days ago, I noticed that it was starting to lean (away from the sun, which is weird)...it's almost like the fronds can't support their weight? Now a couple of the bottom fronds look sick - I know this can happen, but I'm worried that I am doing something wrong. Does it look underwatered? I mist it daily to help with humidity until it is warm enough to sit outside. I am scared of overwatering it, and I'm just not sure what's going on...I know they can be tricky to please indoors, so I'm hoping that someone might have some specific tips to help! Can I try to stake it to help adjust the weird lean? Thank you in advance.

thumbnail_IMG_4447.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4448.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4449.jpg

Hi MaryKate, Welcome to the forum. You are right they don't look too good. 

There are a few separate palms multi planted in there, if you choose to change the potting mix you may like to separate one or two to other pots to hedge your bets. 

You could take the palm out of the pot and inspect the roots and potting mix, it's a long shot but you may see something obvious.

The variables to consider are the amount of: water, light, heat, humidity, nutrients/fertilizing and aeration/drainage of the potting mix.

I hope that someone else can help you with your specific questions.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I would do as @gtsteve suggested. 

About overwatering. You should feel the soil a few inches down and once it is allmost dry give it a through watering untill you get water out the drainage holes.

Its "impossible" to water too much at once in a pot as long as you have a well draining medium like potting mix.

Stop watering out of habit, but rather feel the soil first.

About the misting, I am not an expert on that so i hope some other member can help you out there. I would put a few red plastic soda cups with water in them in the pot around the palm when it is inside. How effective that is I am not sure about so again would be great if someone could fill me in.

is it getting a lot of strong direct sunlight inside or outside? 

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for your words and advice, @gtsteve and @Palmfarmer! I really appreciate it.  It sits in a very bright, sunny corner of my living room in front of large windows (but not too close to the window, I don't think). I gave it a good soak, and that seems to have helped immensely.  The colors and floppiness have at least stopped spreading, for now. When the weather improves slightly, I'll take a look at the roots and consider separating the plants - I think that's a good idea.

• Like 1