IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is a Fair price for a 1 meter green Camerops?

Palmfarmer

Here in the UK, I wouldn't pay more than about £30 ($40) and it would have to be a nice, aesthetic looking specimen. I certainly wouldn't pay more than £25 ($35) for a bog standard Humilis of that size. They're everywhere over here though, along with Trachycarpus Fortunei and CIDP. I suppose Chamaerops may be harder to get in North America and especially Mexico? 

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Because all of mine except 1 with 2 meters of trunk died this winter after 20 years, I’d go with a Silver that did fine over green.... but you have cheap prices there if I am not mistaken. Right now they are going to be $50-$100 per foot of trunk (excluding leaves ). A 15 gallon pot is around $100 with tax.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

29 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Here in the UK, I wouldn't pay more than about £30 ($40) and it would have to be a nice, aesthetic looking specimen. I certainly wouldn't pay more than £25 ($35) for a bog standard Humilis of that size. They're everywhere over here though, along with Trachycarpus Fortunei and CIDP. I suppose Chamaerops may be harder to get in North America and especially Mexico? 

Depends where in the country you are. In big cities it is easy. There is also a Online market that is somewhat big, but it lacks some species. I bought a Silver/Blue one last year for around 135$ with shipping, 80cm tall. I got a offer on a 120cm Green one for the same price. I have one more guy I will ask before considering that offer the green 120 cm one. Thanks for the info

25 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Because all of mine except 1 with 2 meters of trunk died this winter after 20 years, I’d go with a Silver that did fine over green.... but you have cheap prices there if I am not mistaken. Right now they are going to be $50-$100 per foot of trunk (excluding leaves ). A 15 gallon pot is around $100 with tax.

Certain palms cost nothing and others are really expensive since palm collecting is such a niche thing. I think The palmy states of the United States (FL,CA,TX, AZ etc) overall has the best prices and variaty. 

You must know some good suppliers @UK_Palms, I typically tend to see such a size for about £50 and they are often rather stretched (i.e. long petioles making it reach that height without being very bush otherwise).  When they are more robust (i.e. multiple growing stems, shorter petioles having been sun grown) at a metre in height they are typically nearer £100.  It's worth noting that the stretched, cheaper ones tend to be the easier to find, as they are typically stocked in DIY stores where you would never go out of your way to get a palm, and therefore aren't prepared to pay much when they happen to see one when browsing the garden centre.  Buying from the Palm Centre or another online retailer tends to give access to healthier but more expensive plants - a worthwhile move, in my view.

@Palmfarmer if you are buying in Mexico Collectorpalms probably has more realistic prices for you - for sure the Cerifera version is more expensive and slow growing, as noted.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

1 hour ago, Ryland said:

You must know some good suppliers @UK_Palms, I typically tend to see such a size for about £50 and they are often rather stretched (i.e. long petioles making it reach that height without being very bush otherwise).  When they are more robust (i.e. multiple growing stems, shorter petioles having been sun grown) at a metre in height they are typically nearer £100.  It's worth noting that the stretched, cheaper ones tend to be the easier to find, as they are typically stocked in DIY stores where you would never go out of your way to get a palm, and therefore aren't prepared to pay much when they happen to see one when browsing the garden centre.  Buying from the Palm Centre or another online retailer tends to give access to healthier but more expensive plants - a worthwhile move, in my view.

@Palmfarmer if you are buying in Mexico Collectorpalms probably has more realistic prices for you - for sure the Cerifera version is more expensive and slow growing, as noted.

yes, however it is possible to find chamerops at a similar size for 1/3 locally I been told. Thing is the palms the just are slightly different from the norm and prices shot up since it is such a niche and also the fact that it is pretty much monopoly online. However there is some nice deals online also I think.

like a over 1 meter Butia for 50 with shipping. Got a dypsis decarei for the same. 1m Kentia for 50 with shipping and Majesty for around 35 including shipping, around 1,2 meters. how are these prices compared to a state where palms are plentyfull?