• Similar Content

• D Palm
      By D Palm
      I live in N Florida in between Lake City, Fl and Jacksonville, Fl. I planted this Royal behind my red shed last summer. It took some leaf damage but had since put out a new spear this spring. I clipped the fronds and moved it to a sunny spot. The root ball has grown about 3x the size and I plan on moving it close to the south side facing part of my house to help protect it more. I mulched  the base for winter and threw a blanket over it a couple of times. I travel for work so most of the time these palms are not protected.  The only spear pull I had were the queens but they are all nicely recovering and everything is very thirsty waiting for summer rains.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last evening my son and daughter-in-law took me out for an early Mother's Day dinner at Bonefish Grill in Cape Coral. While we waited outside for our table to be ready I noticed a solitary Chamaerops planted near the entrance. It was 6-7' tall and perfectly grown with bluish leaves and prominent gold spines. Chamaerops grow well here but are not often planted because most people prefer more tropical looking palms. But I would plant one like this in a heartbeat.
      Chamaerops humilis solitaire, Bonefish Grill, Cape Coral, FL

• Paradise Found
      By Paradise Found
      Butia catarinensis is a small short butia only growing 9' tall with a thinner trunk. And is hardy to 14F. So far I have not had any damaged spear or leaves the last five years. 
      This year the new spear is opening and it pretty long & nice looking palm in my opinion.  Check it out and I highly recommend this Butia. 

• Yunder Wækraus
      By Yunder Wækraus
      A month ago I purchased a young coconut that had been grown in a grocery bag. It had terrible root wrap, and I had to sever its thicker roots, which had fused with the bag. It looked yellow and sick, but it’s putting out a new frond now. Do you think it’s going to grow out of the root-wrap stage? (I’m also including pics of my other palms, which came with the house.)

• TokyoShowdown
      By TokyoShowdown
      So a little over two years ago I was on Maui and was able to get a sprouted coconut (about 2 inches) back to my home in Montana. Last spring it grew large enough to hit my ceiling. I had a large LED grow light over it but once it grew large enough, it just shot fronds past it. Admitting it was likely the end, I put it outside during the summer. It survived, despite some of the fronds dried out from Montana's very dry climate near the mountains. However, its growth greatly slowed and I was able to bring it back in during the fall. Well, as summer approaches, the coconut palm is still alive. So basically, how long can I slow its growth without killing it?