Haddock

Coconut cool hardiness

Haddock

Out of all the coconut varieties in the world, which one would you say can handle cool temps for the longest?

EastCanadaTropicals

Maybe indian tall? Havent tried one yet, but it's worth a shot in the summer.

• Like 1

climate change virginia

none they all need a tropical environment 

PalmatierMeg

Agree: none. A coconut may tolerate cool temps, i.e., below 60-70F for a few hours or a day or so. But they insist on long term sun and heat (over 80F). Their roots require warm ground. Cool air temps for any extended period lead to cold ground.

Haddock
2 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Agree: none. A coconut may tolerate cool temps, i.e., below 60-70F for a few hours or a day or so. But they insist on long term sun and heat (over 80F). Their roots require warm ground. Cool air temps for any extended period lead to cold ground.

Indian tall coconuts though?

EastCanadaTropicals
4 minutes ago, Haddock said:

I was also thinking fiji dwarf. But yeah, no coconuts will survive cool temps for too long.

PalmatierMeg
3 minutes ago, Haddock said:

I have no idea but I doubt it. Good luck finding one. A cold/cool hardy coconut is the holy grail of palmdom. No one has found it yet.

Haddock
3 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I have no idea but I doubt it. Good luck finding one. A cold/cool hardy coconut is the holy grail of palmdom. No one has found it yet.

Honesty I’m not even sure if Indian tall coconuts exist. I’ve never seen any pictures of it and either way it would be hard to get a different coconut cultivar out of India into countries like the US. 

PalmatierMeg
2 hours ago, Haddock said:

Honesty I’m not even sure if Indian tall coconuts exist. I’ve never seen any pictures of it and either way it would be hard to get a different coconut cultivar out of India into countries like the US. 

Be aware that since covid US Customs has cracked down big time on plant imports from all over the world. They can x-ray packages to see what's inside and look for required phytosanitary certificates and source country gov't paperwork. They seize and destroy stuff without it. Most foreign plant sellers do not offer any of that required paperwork and tell you it's your fault if plants are seized and you should have known better. Be prepared to pay extra to get phytos. Finally, do not put your faith in foreign sellers to sell you that Indian Tall if they even know what one is.

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

I don’t think that there are any coconuts that are truly cool hardy. They need constant warm weather in order to thrive. You’ll see pictures of them in California along the coast and they tend not to look too great, and there are a few pictures of them in the desert where they get daytime heat year round but it’s really dry and occasional freezes can really beat them up, even the nights seem to get quite cool in the winter which doesn’t help. I’ve left my potted ones out with highs in the 70s and upper 60s and lows in the 40s but they didn’t like it being like that for long. 

kinzyjr

During this winter, my coconut beds didn't get anywhere below 32F but we did have some frost and a long stretches of below average temperatures.  None of them perished, but out of all of them, the Maypan looks the best.  Below are the December 2020, January 2021, and February 2021 weather records from weather.com for reference.

2020_Dec_LakelandFL_weather.png

2021_Jan_LakelandFL_weather.png

2021_Feb_LakelandFL_weather.png

• Like 2