IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Found a surprise 8 years after transplanting my Butia

WSimpson

I thought it would be this season or last but finally I'm seeing a spathe  growing  out of my Chammy . I hope there are more to come . I'll try to make  that jelly . 

IMG_0040.thumb.JPG.e315ad22ac26608bcc9b94535edd6fa3.JPG

A picture of it April 9th , 2013 

DSC02466.thumb.JPG.a78daea19ff5f1b527dc97b82e6f3b40.JPG

A recent picture for the few who haven't seen it :

IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.3077391d8a3c1839d19e504600f0c131.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Butia odorata (italics) but who's counting?

I'm dying to try some jelly; there are a few butias that produce abundant fruit not far from me. I'm sure the owner doesn't bother with them - and probably considers the falling fruit a nuisance. Please report your opinion of the jelly when you make some.

Edited by Manalto

2 hours ago, Manalto said:

Butia odorata (italics) but who's counting?

I'm dying to try some jelly; there are a few butias that produce abundant fruit not far from me. I'm sure the owner doesn't bother with them - and probably considers the falling fruit a nuisance. Please report your opinion of the jelly when you make some.

The jelly is awesome.  I used to make it all the time when I lived near mature specimens.  Not many here in San Antonio due to the alkaline soils and mine (same age as Will's) has yet to flower.  I've also made jelly from Syagrus romanzoffiana fruits which is also very good.

Jon Sunder

Thanks , I hope I get enough to make a decent  batch . The flowers are kind of colorful as I've seen them in books and actually had a small one ,  from a freshly planted   a pot ,  flower once too . It never matured being so small though . I'll be looking for three or more new spathes to emerge hopefully .

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

Sorry if this question is repetitive. I can't remember if I asked you about your butia and winter protection. Have you had to protect it at all during the 8 years? 

1 hour ago, knikfar said:

Sorry if this question is repetitive. I can't remember if I asked you about your butia and winter protection. Have you had to protect it at all during the 8 years? 

It hasn't been protected and has seen 4F and 5F in  2  successive   winters . I have seen damage on the fronds that are most outward , but evidently the fronds  closer  to the house must only  get closer to 10F+ . There is an eave over the palm  that keeps it dry too , and it gets full in its southern exposure ,  and no wind in the winter . I could hardy think of a better microclimate . 

• Like 1

I heard wine can also be made im not sugesting making moonshine but I heard about it

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 12:40 PM, Will Simpson said:

It hasn't been protected and has seen 4F and 5F in  2  successive   winters . I have seen damage on the fronds that are most outward , but evidently the fronds  closer  to the house must only  get closer to 10F+ . There is an eave over the palm  that keeps it dry too , and it gets full in its southern exposure ,  and no wind in the winter . I could hardy think of a better microclimate . 

I planted mine about a month ago. I'm in Raleigh. I planted mine at the base of a large willow oak, on the trees south side. My house is about 10' to the butia's west and my greenhouse is about 5' to it's east. About 10' from the north side of the oak tree is my neighbors fence and another 15' beyond that is his house. So I'm hoping my butia is in a nice little microclimate. Perhaps even a zone 8a since I'm only a few miles from the actual 8a.