IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just a Mule in the night

DAVEinMB

Just a night shot of one of my mules. This one was root bound when I got it and was in need of some love. I also moved it 3 months after initially planting it but it seems to finally be settling in. Picture of it in the pot is from early September 2019.

20210414_021515.jpg

20190911_181740.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Love the vibe back there. Are those benches just cinder blocks and 4x4's? Really dig the look. Looks like an outdoor tropical bar back there. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Love the vibe back there. Are those benches just cinder blocks and 4x4's? Really dig the look. Looks like an outdoor tropical bar back there. 

Thanks man! Yep that's all it is, was a quick afternoon project. The bench wraps around the fire pit and all around the patio i densely planted palms to give the jungle feel when you're around the fire. 

20210416_203533.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Thanks man! Yep that's all it is, was a quick afternoon project. The bench wraps around the fire pit and all around the patio i densely planted palms to give the jungle feel when you're around the fire. 

20210416_203533.jpg

That's a whole atmosphere. Dumb question but any issues with the palms and smoke? 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

That's a whole atmosphere. Dumb question but any issues with the palms and smoke? 

It's getting there :shaka-2: and nah I don't notice any difference

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Backyard looks so tropical! Love it! Gorgeous palms!! :wub:

Thanks man! It's getting there little by little

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:56 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Quick question...I'm assuming the concrete blocks are mortared together for stability?

Just now, Scott W said:

Quick question...I'm assuming the concrete blocks are mortared together for stability?

They're supposed to be haha, we weren't sure if the bench was going to stay where it is so we left them free standing. Surprisingly enough has only taken down one person so far

What camera/phone are you taking pics with?  My phone sucks at night shots.  

Is that a papyrus in front of the mule there?

3 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

What camera/phone are you taking pics with?  My phone sucks at night shots.  

Is that a papyrus in front of the mule there?

It's the Samsung S21+

It's got a great camera, I didn't edit any of those photos. 

Yea it's a clump of Cyperus Alternifolius, it's tripled in size in a year's time and has given me many additional plants

• 7 months later...

More night shots of some of my mules. Insane to see how much better they handled a freezing rain event than some of the palms around them. 

20220516_043445.jpg

20220516_044025.jpg

20220516_045532.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

More night shots of some of my mules. Insane to see how much better they handled a freezing rain event than some of the palms around them. 

20220516_043445.jpg

20220516_044025.jpg

20220516_045532.jpg

I had queens in freezing rain at 26F for almost 2 days and no damage ( forgot year, but awhile ago) . Thankfully no wind. Wind is a complete different story. 25f and strong wind killed some of them in Galveston;

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

I had queens in freezing rain at 26F for almost 2 days and no damage ( forgot year, but awhile ago) . Thankfully no wind. Wind is a complete different story. 25f and strong wind killed some of them in Galveston;

This was after 19F and it was windy. Was cold and rainy the following week as well. Much tougher than I expected, I gave them no special care before or after 

30 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

This was after 19F and it was windy. Was cold and rainy the following week as well. Much tougher than I expected, I gave them no special care before or after 

in 2010, 16F radiational event killed one large Mule at San Antonio Botanic Garden. The following year 19F with advective conditions killed the one next to it. They may have been taken out prematurely, but I don't know. Whoever is in charge now seems to hate palms. Here is picture of 2010 between the back to back rough winters with one left. Honestly the first mule crosses were not as nice as the ones that came out later. I forgot who they were crossed by.  Seemed like an older couple. Maybe they still sell them, they shipped them overseas. I had one that looked more like a butia and burned at around 19F. It was slow. I heavily wrapped it in 2021 but it still died.

Epiphyte_Garden_at_SABot_(5176663727).jpg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

10 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

They look really good.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F