IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Was Palmgain discontinued?

Keys6505

Got tired of waiting for HD to get some in so I tried to order it online and can't get it on HD, Amazon, etc.  Anyone recommend a cost effective alternative?

Carl Pool. 

I bought some off of EBay because I didn't wanna give Amazon my money, and I was horribly disappointed that the eBay seller was drop shipping from Amazon Prime. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Got tired of waiting for HD to get some in so I tried to order it online and can't get it on HD, Amazon, etc.  Anyone recommend a cost effective alternative?

HD has turned off online stock visibility for it (I wonder why???) 

I can check my local store today and would be willing to ship you if you’d like. 

An alternative would I guess be based on your soil composition. Florida soil is naturally high in phosphorus - is Texas the same way?

• Upvote 1

I see it at my local big box stores constantly. Have a hard time imagining such a relatively solid and in-demand product would disappear - but I’ve transitioned to osmotic / slow release ferts anyway. Maybe this just means big box stores are doing the same and I can stop having to hunt it down at wholesale warehouses? (Yeah right :rolleyes:

Edited by chad2468emr

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

I got a pretty good deal on PG from this place less than 2 weeks ago... Shipped to CA very quickly... It shows out of stock now, though... Maybe give them a call?

https://www.domyown.com/palmgain-8212-plus-minors-p-8290.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_HjFlJp-dlxJlJP6s70NoXfnQpt8m7T-7NwHhInPfPyQppAQMl19XQaAjBvEALw_wcB&sub_id=23157

• Upvote 1

I just received my 150 pounds from HD last week. Its like the Covid vaccine appointment, you have to keep checking and one time it will be available. It shows up and disappears off HD's website routinely. I wait, as you can't beat free shipping and the price per bag. 

• Upvote 4

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

12 hours ago, NickJames said:

I can check my local store today and would be willing to ship you if you’d like.

Not necessary, I can just get a small bag of something else locally to hold me over until it's back in stock.  But thank you, I really appreciate the offer though.

I picked up from Amazon back in Feb to prep for spring. Haven’t needed a restock yet. But the above posters have already nailed it. Keep checking Amazon, etc. 

22 hours ago, LJG said:

I just received my 150 pounds from HD last week. Its like the Covid vaccine appointment, you have to keep checking and one time it will be available. It shows up and disappears off HD's website routinely. I wait, as you can't beat free shipping and the price per bag. 

Do they carry the 50# bags?... I only saw the 10#ers... Price per #,  I think DoMyOwn.com 50#er, shipped, was cheaper, vs HD's 10#ers shipped.... It's a moot point if neither one has them, though...

Butch

5 hours ago, Butch said:

Do they carry the 50# bags?... I only saw the 10#ers... Price per #,  I think DoMyOwn.com 50#er, shipped, was cheaper, vs HD's 10#ers shipped.... It's a moot point if neither one has them, though...

Butch

No, only 10s. I’ll have to check out DMY.com if they got 50s delivered for same price. HD has free delivery if you order enough. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have a theory on why HD doesn't have it online anymore...

I ordered twice online and the first one was sent to a store in another state. The second time I ordered it to my house and it was sent to an address in another state. 

I had to do a chargeback on both orders. 

Maybe they'd have then in stock if they didn't ship all of it out to the wrong address lol

4 hours ago, LJG said:

No, only 10s. I’ll have to check out DMY.com if they got 50s delivered for same price. HD has free delivery if you order enough. 

50# bags for $63.90 and free shipping to the lower 48 states... That comes to $1.28 per #, vs $1.70 # for the 10# bags at  HD..... 

Butch

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PalmX said:

I ordered it to my house and it was sent to an address in another state. 

Same exact thing happened to me.....:blush2:..

Butch

18 hours ago, Butch said:

50# bags for $63.90 and free shipping to the lower 48 states... That comes to $1.28 per #, vs $1.70 # for the 10# bags at  HD..... 

Butch

I ordered from do my own also a couple weeks ago . I checked there online store this weekend and it says they are out so you might  want to call them. Great prices and my local big box store doesn't carry palmgain 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, PalmX said:

I ordered twice online and the first one was sent to a store in another state. The second time I ordered it to my house and it was sent to an address in another state. 

I had to do a chargeback on both orders. 

Maybe they'd have then in stock if they didn't ship all of it out to the wrong address lol

I had the exact same thing happen!  My order was sent to some address in Southern California.

I just checked a few other HD's north of Houston thinking maybe there were less palms up that way but the HD's didn't even have an empty spot on the shelves with a Palmgain label.  They had the hibiscus and bougainvillea varieties though.

22 hours ago, Chester B said:

I had the exact same thing happen!  My order was sent to some address in Southern California.

So weird... I've not had problems with other things delivered from HD... But we all had the same issue with Palmgain... I live in SO. Cal... And mine was delivered to Tuscon AZ... Then the order canceled...

Butch

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

15 hours ago, Allen said:

Awesome thanks! This is my first year fertlizing and I wanted to get this brand so I just bought one :greenthumb:

Just to be sure, I'm assuming palm gain is the best of the best fertilizers you could get for palms, It seems to be popular here?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Just to be sure, I'm assuming palm gain is the best of the best fertilizers you could get for palms, It seems to be popular here?

It is.  Hopefully the Amazon order ships as it states about a month out because it is from the official BGI store?  We'll see

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

All…I just got an update from Amazon that my 50# bag of Palmgain will arrive early (April 13) instead of the estimated mid May original estimate. The strange thing is I got an email last week that the product was not avail anymore. 

Just for kicks…I checked my bank and the money had been withdrawn from my account. 

Will revert back when & if I receive 50lbs of granuals in the mail next week or so. 

-dale

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Billeb said:

All…I just got an update from Amazon that my 50# bag of Palmgain will arrive early (April 13) instead of the estimated mid May original estimate. The strange thing is I got an email last week that the product was not avail anymore. 

Just for kicks…I checked my bank and the money had been withdrawn from my account. 

Will revert back when & if I receive 50lbs of granuals in the mail next week or so. 

-dale

I got the same email, pretty excited to try it for the first time if it shows up :greenthumb:

Mine originally said "arriving May 17th".

Just checked the tracking number and it shipped out today. Says it will arrive this Monday 

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I picked up something that looked very similar to Palmgain yesterday at Ace. It was labeled “palm food” on the shelf. I haven’t compared micros but seems oddly similar and may be a good alternative for some until we can regularly get Palmgain again.

D35F584A-235D-4609-BDF3-D4A7C21C6D0A.jpeg

• Like 1

**UPDATE!!**

I received my 50# PalmGain bag in the mail from Amazon but I’m hesitant about using it and fear it’s not authentic. Let me explain….

Reference pictures: 

The bag is all white with no labeling on the front. It did have a clear plastic sleeve with a printed out PalmGain label in it which I immediately thought was weird. 
The back of the bag had a limited liability statement printed on the bag. At the bottom of the statement it says “copyright Helena-Agri Enterprises 2020”. I actually called Helena Agri and inquired if they sell PalmGain which of course they do not. Because BGI is in FL, I could not contact them directly but plan to go so in the AM. 

I asked my brother to take a scoop out of his 2# bag of PalmGain and send it to me. After comparing, they do look similar but the most obvious difference is the omission of the blue pellets in mine vs. the authentic. 

I called Amazon and made a claim which they started a ticket to review. I also noticed the 50# bag is avail again with a delivery date of June 6-9. 

Do I think it’s fertilizer….Yes. Can I confirm it’s actually PalmGain…..no. Needless to say I’m scared to put it on my plants. 

**FOR THOSE WHO PURCHASED THIS FROM AMAZON, PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS OF YOUR EXPERIENCE AND IF IT IS SIMILAR TO MINE AS TO COMPARE!! VERY CURIOUS. 

038EF3CC-BC58-4A86-BD2C-97F161682229.jpeg

A16247C2-C6F5-41BC-912A-DFE37A7D6863.jpeg

7669B04E-5553-4AEC-B441-A2DA05372010.jpeg

70C55FF4-CDB4-46B1-819B-1AD649B3ABD1.jpeg

• Like 2

I can understand your skepticism. Didn’t Palmgain just semi recently (maybe a couple of years ago) start adding those blue pellets? Perhaps it’s an older bag. I typically just buy multiple 10lb bags that come in the traditional package. I did manage to find and buy 4 10lb bags on Amazon on April 8th that says it will arrive on Monday. However, it hasn’t shipped yet so not 100% confident it won’t fall through.

Good luck with yours. I hope it turns out to be the real deal.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Billeb said:

**UPDATE!!**

I received my 50# PalmGain bag in the mail from Amazon but I’m hesitant about using it and fear it’s not authentic. Let me explain….

Reference pictures: 

The bag is all white with no labeling on the front. It did have a clear plastic sleeve with a printed out PalmGain label in it which I immediately thought was weird. 
The back of the bag had a limited liability statement printed on the bag. At the bottom of the statement it says “copyright Helena-Agri Enterprises 2020”. I actually called Helena Agri and inquired if they sell PalmGain which of course they do not. Because BGI is in FL, I could not contact them directly but plan to go so in the AM. 

I asked my brother to take a scoop out of his 2# bag of PalmGain and send it to me. After comparing, they do look similar but the most obvious difference is the omission of the blue pellets in mine vs. the authentic. 

I called Amazon and made a claim which they started a ticket to review. I also noticed the 50# bag is avail again with a delivery date of June 6-9. 

Do I think it’s fertilizer….Yes. Can I confirm it’s actually PalmGain…..no. Needless to say I’m scared to put it on my plants. 

**FOR THOSE WHO PURCHASED THIS FROM AMAZON, PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS OF YOUR EXPERIENCE AND IF IT IS SIMILAR TO MINE AS TO COMPARE!! VERY CURIOUS. 

038EF3CC-BC58-4A86-BD2C-97F161682229.jpeg

A16247C2-C6F5-41BC-912A-DFE37A7D6863.jpeg

7669B04E-5553-4AEC-B441-A2DA05372010.jpeg

70C55FF4-CDB4-46B1-819B-1AD649B3ABD1.jpeg

hey dale.  as a person that has been using palmgain since its inception, there was a discussion in the recent past about the introduction of the blue pellets and also lack of supplier source due to this.   in any case, i have used both and the remnants of my 100 lb bag i had since last year has only very few blue pellets.  i guess the bigger question is .. is it stinky?  i remember back in the days, the smell was horrid but brought a smile to my face of the ingredients but it has become less and less stinky.  lol.  

regardless, my last year's 100 lb bag did not have the distributor disclaimer like yours does now.  i am happy going forward with paying a little extra for the 10 lb bag if the contents are true to their original formula.  not sure if you saw this on another thread i started but this was their communication to me in FB messenger:

image.png.f480d5ce4a57a1389119df8240087127.png

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

5 hours ago, The Gerg said:

I can understand your skepticism. Didn’t Palmgain just semi recently (maybe a couple of years ago) start adding those blue pellets? Perhaps it’s an older bag. I typically just buy multiple 10lb bags that come in the traditional package. I did manage to find and buy 4 10lb bags on Amazon on April 8th that says it will arrive on Monday. However, it hasn’t shipped yet so not 100% confident it won’t fall through.

Good luck with yours. I hope it turns out to be the real deal.

yes .. you are correct greg ...  the original formula never had the blue pellets

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

My PG looks like the first pic with blue chips. Bought it last year.

I like Simplot Best Palm Plus (from Lathrop, Calif), same stuff used at Rancho Soledad. 

My other fave is Carl Pool, great for potted palms.

image.png

Edited by HiwaKika
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, tinman10101 said:

yes .. you are correct greg ...  the original formula never had the blue pellets

That is a dye that just assists visually in blending.  They take different nutrient prills of different colors and blend them into the targeted formula so that there is an expected ratio of color sizes.   They can weight the respective prills but them have to mix them uniformly so all bags in the batch have the same nutrients.  For example, if blue was the potassium prill, the failure to see a consistent number of blue prills means poor mixing and a low potassium for some customer bags and a high potassium for others.  that could be a real issue for customers.  A visual check after mixing is much cheaper than a chemical test, but you need to check to make sure that its being blended properly so you will get the proper ratios of nutrients. You might wonder if they are blended properly without that color visual to guide them, but the blue color is not a nutrient, its a dye to assist in blending.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Just FYI I received 4 more 10 pound bags this week from Amazon.

Edited by Allen

8 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

That is a dye that just assists visually in blending.  They take different nutrient prills of different colors and blend them into the targeted formula so that there is an expected ratio of color sizes.   They can weight the respective prills but them have to mix them uniformly so all bags in the batch have the same nutrients.  For example, if blue was the potassium prill, the failure to see a consistent number of blue prills means poor mixing and a low potassium for some customer bags and a high potassium for others.  that could be a real issue for customers.  A visual check after mixing is much cheaper than a chemical test, but you need to check to make sure that its being blended properly so you will get the proper ratios of nutrients. You might wonder if they are blended properly without that color visual to guide them, but the blue color is not a nutrient, its a dye to assist in blending.

Make sense. The discrepancy in the odor lends to a probably change in formula or ingredient source. 

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

20 hours ago, tinman10101 said:

hey dale.  as a person that has been using palmgain since its inception, there was a discussion in the recent past about the introduction of the blue pellets and also lack of supplier source due to this.   in any case, i have used both and the remnants of my 100 lb bag i had since last year has only very few blue pellets.  i guess the bigger question is .. is it stinky?  i remember back in the days, the smell was horrid but brought a smile to my face of the ingredients but it has become less and less stinky.  lol.  

1 hour ago, tinman10101 said:

Make sense. The discrepancy in the odor lends to a probably change in formula or ingredient source. 

Tin, I’m not terribly concerned about the blue pellets as I did hear there was a change recently. My biggest concern with the purchase is: Why the hell is the product packaged in a Helena-Agri labeled bag?? Other than that….I actually do think it’s authentic. 
Regarding the smell, it definitely does smell different than any other fertilizer I’ve used. Is it like a Titum Arum Flower….no.  But it does stink. 
Tried to call BGI directly and I believe they were out of the office due to the holiday weekend. Will attempt again next week and revert back. 

-dale

• Like 3

***Update*** 
I was able to contact the General manager of BGI today and had a great conversation regarding PalmGain and my specific situation with the item I received from Amazon. 

To make a long story short…..the PalmGain being sold on Amazon is in fact genuine. She had to completely change their distributors due to an extremely high mark up in materials from their original source. This explains the different look in the sack I received.

I asked her about why the back of the bag had a logo from a different company instead of the standard bag with no label as previously. She advised this was due to a contract with that company to package the 50# bags. Again…this is an effort to cut manufacturing costs. 

Because the price of materials have skyrocketed, her costs have gone up so the price of bags has to go up as well obviously. 

The good news……she advised BGI is ramping back up and product will be avail thru Amazon in the near future with shorter wait times. Because the big box stores will only sell the product at old prices due to contractural agreements, it is likely you won’t see it in those stores for awhile but she ensured it will be at her earliest convenience. 

Good news everyone…..good news. :greenthumb:

-dale

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Billeb said:

***Update*** 
I was able to contact the General manager of BGI today and had a great conversation regarding PalmGain and my specific situation with the item I received from Amazon. 

To make a long story short…..the PalmGain being sold on Amazon is in fact genuine. She had to completely change their distributors due to an extremely high mark up in materials from their original source. This explains the different look in the sack I received.

I asked her about why the back of the bag had a logo from a different company instead of the standard bag with no label as previously. She advised this was due to a contract with that company to package the 50# bags. Again…this is an effort to cut manufacturing costs. 

Because the price of materials have skyrocketed, her costs have gone up so the price of bags has to go up as well obviously. 

The good news……she advised BGI is ramping back up and product will be avail thru Amazon in the near future with shorter wait times. Because the big box stores will only sell the product at old prices due to contractural agreements, it is likely you won’t see it in those stores for awhile but she ensured it will be at her earliest convenience. 

Good news everyone…..good news. :greenthumb:

-dale

thanks for the info dale. it makes sense about the contractual agreements therefore we see the old prices but out of stock at such sites as domyown.com and homedepot.com.  i totally miss the $16 per 10 lbs bag with free shipping from HD back in the days if you purchased over $40.  LOL

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"