IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

And another one

JohnAndSancho

Y'all, is there a support group like Palms Anonymous or something? This arrived today to tower over my computer in my office. My Schafer hybrid is delayed in the mail. 

Message_1618603730028.jpg

• Like 3

Classy paperweight. You could start your own support group. But why stay anonymous?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

23 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Y'all, is there a support group like Palms Anonymous or something? This arrived today to tower over my computer in my office. My Schafer hybrid is delayed in the mail.

John, if you had bought an H. lagenicaulis I would even understand the anonymous scene:D

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Luís

2 hours ago, lzorrito said:

John, if you had bought an H. lagenicaulis I would even understand the anonymous scene:D

:floor: was looking for the beer emoji 

Sancho approves of this and I'm really digging the orange colors and the woody trunk on it. 

20210417_165933.jpg

20210417_165935.jpg

• Like 3

Well, I am really disappointed in Sancho if he approves of that. 

In a pot that size it will need attention every 30 mins. 

Oh yes, now I see, it is just the right height for him to give it some attention every 30 mins.

And one other thing for the less palm literate,  not for me, I know what it is of course,

But for other people, what is it?   

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

4 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Oh yes, now I see, it is just the right height for him to give it some attention every 30 mins.

And one other thing for the less palm literate,  not for me, I know what it is of course,

Let me see if I did follow you point of view, Steve. I'm no palm literate, just a minor palm collector. And John, it's not my intention to be a spoiler, we know you are a palm enthusiast who joys with it,please take this as an advice. You do know that H. verschaffeltii are not the most suitable indoors palms, they require lots of sun light and lots of heat. Your porch also doesn't seem to supply enough heat and light, notice your R. rivulares, this may be the cause of your complaints about its growth. Hyophobe verchaffeltii are sun and heat lovers palms. Yours is in fact considerably stretched and it's only holding 3 feathery aspect leaves (greenhouse/shade clothe grown). They usually hold a compact crown of 5 to 6 compact stiff leaves. Although it looks healthy, that palm will for sure require some extra attention and care, and don't you even think about appling Superthrive and other stuff like that. What it needs is a constantly moist (not wet!) porous loose rich well draining soil, along with a good slow release fertilizer at half the strength. Lots of heat and sun light, lots! As for the pot size, you should first check if it is root bound, if not, leave it in a same size pot. Don't be tempted to overpot it. Mine is about 5 ft tall and only repotted it from a 1 gallon to a 2 gallons when the weather started to heat up around here, about a two months ago. Tight roots work best with these and do prevent lots of issues, and why I have evidenced this is transversal to the other two Hyophorbe species. I hope that this can help you and that someone else will add more relevant information.

Edited by lzorrito
  • Upvote 2

Greetings, Luís

9 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Steve and John, let me just make a small addition to the previous post ... I don't think H. verchaffeltii are sensitive to odors, but as far as Sancho is concerned ... well, I have my doubts.:laugh2:

Greetings, Luís

Sancho smells like Cool Water cologne from the cleaning wipes I use on him. And for the tree, eh. It wasn't expensive. Like Ivan Drago said, "If he dies, he dies." 

3 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Sancho smells like Cool Water cologne from the cleaning wipes I use on him. And for the tree, eh. It wasn't expensive. Like Ivan Drago said, "If he dies, he dies."

I was referring to sneakersB)...what hypothetically it may emanate from there will not hurt Hyophorbe, but as for Sancho ... he is making a disapproving face. I don't think it is in relation to the palm tree. 

Greetings, Luís

49 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

I was referring to sneakersB)...what hypothetically it may emanate from there will not hurt Hyophorbe, but as for Sancho ... he is making a disapproving face. I don't think it is in relation to the palm tree. 

:floor::floor: