Sign in to follow this  
GardnerDylan6a

Washingtonia Robusta and Filifera Flowering

GardnerDylan6a

What time of year does W. Filifera or Robusta flower and produce seed?

NBTX11

Don't remember exactly, but I think they flower in late spring/early summer while the seeds are ready by late fall.

Reyes Vargas

My robusta and filibusta are already sending out flowers.  Seeds should be ready by late summer or fall.  Both my palms had seeds on the tree when the freeze hit.

• Like 1

Collectorpalms

Washington Filifera seeds are falling off trees in early November in San Antonio. I typically see the seeds all over the Riverwalk.

They can hang onto seeds for a little while and they are not perfectly all ready in the tree at the same exact time.

Washingtonia Robustas would be sending flower stalk up in May around here. 

So it seems like it takes about 5 months.

Edited by Collectorpalms

NBTX11
2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Washingtonia Robustas would be sending flower stalk up in May around here. 

Key word is would be.  It will be 7-10 years before you see another seeding Robusta.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• DreaminAboutPalms
      By DreaminAboutPalms
      This Washingtonia hybrid seedling is about 9.5 months old and I noticed about a month ago how the trunk was starting to curve. This morning I was removing the oldest frond noticed that the boot ripped right off revealing what looks to be like the trunk rotting on bottom of one side, it’s all black.

not sure if this is from bugs, or if that spot just kept getting wet. Other than this the palm looks fine. Newest frond is steadily growing 

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      Apparently this has developed into a thing now in the UK. Well southern England anyway... just crazy...
      Ashley Road, Ryde

New Esplanade Court, Paignton

The White House / Cary Court, Torquay

The Earls Court pool CIDP is about 15-20 foot now, but it is dwarfed by the 30 foot Robusta. That CIDP will start putting on 3 foot of growth per year now though at that size, like the others. 

Splashdown Quaywest waterpark in Paignton has a lot of CIDP's growing there, which will be as big as some of the others I have posted in another decade or so...

North Ford Road, Dartmouth

Anyone got any photos of big CIDP's towering over pools? These UK ones are a work in progress still obviously. I know a lot of people are against the idea of growing CIDP's next to pools and having them tower over eventually like the ones in the first picture I posted. I know some people feel the same with Washies and many other big/tall palms. Personally, I love the look of it. 

• DreaminAboutPalms
      By DreaminAboutPalms
      https://www.nwestiowa.com/news/sibley-man-cuts-down-unlikely-palm-tree/article_6fc173c0-ecb8-11e9-81e5-efee02cc76e9.html

this man in Sibley Iowa (Zone 4) grew a Washingtonia to 20 feet tall by building a greenhouse over it in the winter time. Unfortunately he cut it down but still has a smaller second one