IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kinda rare stuff for the East Coast

VA Jeff

I am back in Virginia for a few more years.  Here are some unusual palms that I have grown for many years that are now in my new yard.  My soil is mostly sandy with some loam, and fairly moist for sandy soil.

Inground I have chamaedorea microspadix, jubaea, parajubaea sunkha, mule, serenoa, and needle palms.  I have a lot of other hybrids in pots and unusual species for this far north.  I've had many of them for 20 years, but mostly in pots.  I didn't even need to protect most of them this last winter, since it didn't drop below 23 F, which is unheard of for here.  I will probably plant some chamaedorea radicalis soon.  

The Jubaea was sold to me as a hybrid, which it is not.  It is over 10 years old and about 7 feet wide.  The sunkha is about 6.5 feet tall.  The mule is around 9 or so feet tall.

God bless

microspadix woods.jpg

mule palm.jpg

sunkha and jubaea.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

21 hours ago, Jtee said:

How long has the mule been in ground?

I put them in the ground a month ago, but I haven't protected them for the last two years.   I've had all the ones shown for so many years, I know I'll have to protect them at some point.

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

Let us know how that parajubaea sunkha does. When you say back in Virginia, where were the palms growing before you put them in the ground?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

9 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Let us know how that parajubaea sunkha does. When you say back in Virginia, where were the palms growing before you put them in the ground?

The mule I raised for 18 years, mostly in the largest trash can I could find for a pot.  The Jubaea, i've had for roughly 6 years, but it had some size to it when I bought it.  Also raised in a trash can.  They were raised in SE Virginia for all but 2.5 years, and the remainder in Western N Carolina.  Always right on the border of zones 7 and 8.  If I think the weather might hit 19 F, I protect the mule.  The sunkha is slightly more cold sensitive at this stage.  Jubaea gets the mildest leaf damage around 10 F.

I realize that someday I could get hit with a devastating cold like the Texas blitzkrieg this year.  If I do, I'll go through major efforts to protect them.

• Like 2

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

• 7 months later...

If anyone would like a tour before I protect my palms for the winter, let me know.  I have an interview back south this month.  Not sure these palms will be here next year.  I also have a lot of rare palms in pots.  For scale, the parajubaea sunkha is probably 7 feet tall now.  The mule palm is more full as well.  I have lots of other palms, but these 3 are my current showcases.  I have a lot of hybrid palms coming along that might soon overshadow them.

Edited by VA Jeff

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:47 AM, Collectorpalms said:

One of the sunkhas I have had for roughly 4 years.  It was maybe 2-3 years old at the time.  The smaller sunkha not shown, is younger.  Fast growth, mainly during the spring, but still overall fast.  I am on a brackish marsh with locally high humidity levels for this area.  Borderline zone 8/7.  I also grew it near Charlotte, NC for 2 winters.  Outdoors to upper teens in a container unprotected.  Very little damage.

• Like 2

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

42 minutes ago, VA Jeff said:

If anyone would like a tour before I protect my palms for the winter, let me know.  I have an interview back south this month.  Not sure these palms will be here next year.  I also have a lot of rare palms in pots.  For scale, the parajubaea sunkha is probably 7 feet tall now.  The mule palm is more full as well.  I have lots of other palms, but these 3 are my current showcases.  I have a lot of hybrid palms coming along that might soon overshadow them.

If you ever find yourself lacking room and want to sell any send me a PM :D

22 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

If you ever find yourself lacking room and want to sell any send me a PM :D

At some point, I will move back further south.  The tough part is where I grew up vs where my wife grew up.  She likes snow.  I hope to keep my palms.  As a consolation, I might be forced to accept Tennessee or North Carolina as a compromise.  I think I'd like the people of Tennessee, but the winters, Brrrr.

• Like 1

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, VA Jeff said:

At some point, I will move back further south.  The tough part is where I grew up vs where my wife grew up.  She likes snow.  I hope to keep my palms.  As a consolation, I might be forced to accept Tennessee or North Carolina as a compromise.  I think I'd like the people of Tennessee, but the winters, Brrrr.

Are you in Lexington , SC for the foreseeable future? Just noticed your sig. we aren’t far from each other.