IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mid-size Tropical Plant Suggestions?

iDesign

I could use some suggestions for some “mid-size” tropical plants to add to my yard. I’m in Zone 10a and need to fill both “full sun” and “partial sun” areas.

GUIDELINES:

- Not overly Tall
I already have many tall (or will be tall) palms.

- Not overly small
I propagate bromeliads, so have the small stuff covered.

- Color other than green
The purpose of the mid-size plants is to add splashes of color between my mostly green palms (i.e. give the eye a break from all the green). And to add something at mid-height.

- Keeps its color all year
I’m not interested in plants that look amazing, but just when blooming. Or seasonal plants like canna lily.

- I can order online if needed.
Don’t need to limit to plants sold at local nurseries, if there’s an online source I can order from. I tend to prefer the exotics when possible (I’ve killed some, but am learning).

MID-SIZE PLANTS I ALREADY HAVE:

Cordyline (Ti)
Though common, I absolutely LOVE these. I have tons of red & purple/black ones scattered throughout the yard. It’s my go-to mid-size plant, as it fills the visual space between the palms and bromeliads nicely.

Crotons
I’ve had success with a few varieties, but killed the exotic ones I tried (RIP rare crotons). Of course that makes me want to try the rare ones even more, and figure out what I did wrong.

Stromthe / Variegated Ginger
Stromthe look nice with my red Ti’s, and I like how sun tolerant the Ginger is. Not my favorites, but fill the mid-size need ok.

Larger Bromeliads 
Some of the larger broms can count as mid-size (the Alcantarea & larger Aechmeas).

Any other “mid-size” plants I should put on my radar? Maybe something a little more “bush” like? Or other favorites that fit these guidelines?

Please share your favorite (non-green) mid-size tropical plants!

Edited by idesign123
  • Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

You could look at Queen Emma Crinum Lily, and also the variegated Furcraea Foetida.  There are also some interesting Pineapple types like Lava Burst, White Jade, and "Ananas Comosus Variegatus."  Yuccas like Gloriosa "Bright Star" could add some color too.  Pandanus Utilis red edge is a neat type.  Sansevieria "Metallica" is a mostly indestructible green/white/silver type.  And there are several types of Dracaena Marginata green/red, yellow/green, red/yellow/green/white, etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey @idesign123 a lot comes to mind for 10a! 

Some plants off the top of my head you might consider:

Gingers: Hedychium gingers add a lot of tropical structure and their blooms are incredible and smell amazing. While the plant is green, they bloom prolifically when happy, and can go in part sun-full sun

Eucomis (Pineapple lily) are mid/small and some varieties have dark bold foliage. 

Coleus  may be an option? Im not sure. 

Tricolor Rhoeo (Tradescantia spathacea). I think this can take part-full sun and can get quite full and bushy even up here. Its also super easy to grow. 

If you like orange - Crossandra might be an option. Its a bushy/shrubby tropical plant that flowers prolifically. 

Tropical hibiscus come in a wide variety of colors, have HUGE blooms, and can be maintained pretty easily.

Pachystachys lutea - yellow shrimp plants. This is a small shrub, and blooms throughout the year so it wouldn't necessarily be seasonal. They bloom year round here as patio/houseplants. 

Hamilia patens (firecracker bush) might be interesting

Agapanthus - Foliage is green and strappy, there are varieties that bloom throughout the season, evergreen varieties exist but it doesn't bloom 24/7. They are however quite coastal/Caribbean looking and when they are in full bloom they are really eye catching. 

Lantana camara - shrubby, blooms constantly. lots of neat colors. 

Heliconia varieties. Psittacorum blooms prolifically, and while the plant is green, the blooms last for months on end (up to 6 month per bloom). So, constant color.

Ensete maurilii - red absynnian banana. This is a stunning non-pupping banana variety that looks amazing in full to part sun. 

Various colocasia varieties. Pretty sure they would be year round there. 

Justicia brandegeeana - red shrimp plant - stays in bloom nearly year round. 

Tradescantia palida - purple jew - Deep purple color, low growing bushy ground cover. Can be invasive. 

Thats all I got for now. 

While some of those do have green foliage, keep in mind that there is a multitude of plants that flower constantly that can be grown in 10a. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Hey @idesign123 a lot comes to mind for 10a! 

Some plants off the top of my head you might consider:

Gingers: Hedychium gingers add a lot of tropical structure and their blooms are incredible and smell amazing. While the plant is green, they bloom prolifically when happy, and can go in part sun-full sun

Eucomis (Pineapple lily) are mid/small and some varieties have dark bold foliage. 

Coleus  may be an option? Im not sure. 

Tricolor Rhoeo (Tradescantia spathacea). I think this can take part-full sun and can get quite full and bushy even up here. Its also super easy to grow. 

If you like orange - Crossandra might be an option. Its a bushy/shrubby tropical plant that flowers prolifically. 

Tropical hibiscus come in a wide variety of colors, have HUGE blooms, and can be maintained pretty easily.

Pachystachys lutea - yellow shrimp plants. This is a small shrub, and blooms throughout the year so it wouldn't necessarily be seasonal. They bloom year round here as patio/houseplants. 

Hamilia patens (firecracker bush) might be interesting

Agapanthus - Foliage is green and strappy, there are varieties that bloom throughout the season, evergreen varieties exist but it doesn't bloom 24/7. They are however quite coastal/Caribbean looking and when they are in full bloom they are really eye catching. 

Lantana camara - shrubby, blooms constantly. lots of neat colors. 

Heliconia varieties. Psittacorum blooms prolifically, and while the plant is green, the blooms last for months on end (up to 6 month per bloom). So, constant color.

Ensete maurilii - red absynnian banana. This is a stunning non-pupping banana variety that looks amazing in full to part sun. 

Various colocasia varieties. Pretty sure they would be year round there. 

Justicia brandegeeana - red shrimp plant - stays in bloom nearly year round. 

Tradescantia palida - purple jew - Deep purple color, low growing bushy ground cover. Can be invasive. 

Thats all I got for now. 

While some of those do have green foliage, keep in mind that there is a multitude of plants that flower constantly that can be grown in 10a. 

Adding a few more to this list:

Several additional Justica sp/ varieties.. J carnea comes in both pink/ dark pink/ white forms.

Brazilian Cloak ( Megaskepasma ) though these an get big.

Bouvardia ternifolia. Is hardy to zone 8 as well ( for everyone in cooler areas back east ) There is also a white flowered Bouvardia sp. that is extremely fragrant but is -for some strange reason- difficult to find.

Where you're at in S. Cal., your options are almost endless, and span the globe..  Talk with @Tracy, @LJG... etc, down there about ideas/options.

If you're concerned with flowery stuff that will pop now, then fizzle the rest of the year, you can plan out your selections so that there will always be abundant color throughout the year around the garden.

• Like 2

FANTASTIC suggestions! 

I was originally thinking of solid color (or mostly) plants, but I agree that a green plant with bright flowers can be equally useful... assuming the blooms stick around most of the year. Or I could try to plant an area with multiple seasonal plants... assuming as they bloom at different times. 

* Thanks also for the Queen Emma Lily suggestion. I remember seeing that one at the San Diego Botanic gardens, but didn't make the connection that it could work in my own yard. I'm going to find a spot for that one for sure!

It's been fun filling out my yard. I did things in the odd order of building a bromeliad collection first, then replacing the existing trees with rare palms (large to tiny)... and am now filling in the mid-height "in between" areas. I'm excited to show photos of my yard when I'm done, but too messy at the moment. Off to do more research!

:Stacey

• Like 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Stacey, If I could add one plant to your garden it would have to be...Agave Guiengola, they come in different colors to mostly variegated but the solid really stand out.  Likes to grow in half a day of shade or filter light. 

Can't wait to see your garden pics!

Agave-guiengola-Dolphin-Agave2.jpg

5f573c6e4c01820e86e86fd3_5f557c7ab663853d2290b2fb_Agave%20guiengola%20and%20Aloe-p-1080.jpeg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, idesign123 said:

FANTASTIC suggestions! 

I was originally thinking of solid color (or mostly) plants, but I agree that a green plant with bright flowers can be equally useful... assuming the blooms stick around most of the year. Or I could try to plant an area with multiple seasonal plants... assuming as they bloom at different times. 

* Thanks also for the Queen Emma Lily suggestion. I remember seeing that one at the San Diego Botanic gardens, but didn't make the connection that it could work in my own yard. I'm going to find a spot for that one for sure!

:Stacey

Queen Emma is a good option, and there are several other Crinum species/ crosses that are worth researching also.

As far as -other- " bulb-type " plants, -that you won't have to replant yearly / will add a tropical feel, options that should work well there include things like Hymenocallis ( Spider Lilies ), Hurricane lilies ( Lycoris sp. ) Amaryllis ( both the types you might see sold around Christmas, and A. belladonna.. aka Naked Ladies / crosses involving it ) ..Nerine,  Rhodophiala ( Ox Blood Lilies ), Sprecklia ( Aztec Lily ), and Rain Lilies ( Zephyranthes / Harbranhus.. These do stay short however.. more of a gap- filler- type option ) to your list of possible research candidates.

Being in one of the mildest parts of CA, there are some hardy terrestrial Orchids ( other than Epidendrum and/or Cymbidiums ) worth looking at as well, though those may be tough to find.. ( Sobralia is a good one, easier to track down out there. ) Might talk with Fred over at Sunset Valley Orchids.. Or Andy ( Andy's Orchids ) if you consider any of those.

As far as flowering times, Hymenocallis will flower on and off spring-fall, while other options will pop at different times.

• Like 1

Don't forget Encephalartos cycads for some beautiful blue evergreen structure! 

• Like 1

Hilo Buddha sugar cane would be a nice addition.

I havent planted any yet in my yard yet but its on the list.

SAC-HA2-3.jpg.3afee7d629728fd18af771ec401204e2.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Hilo Buddha sugar cane would be a nice addition.

I havent planted any yet in my yard yet but its on the list.

SAC-HA2-3.jpg.3afee7d629728fd18af771ec401204e2.jpg

Very cool! Had thought of sugar cane but have seen this one.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:27 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

(Sobralia is a good one, easier to track down out there. ) Might talk with Fred over at Sunset Valley Orchids.. Or Andy ( Andy's Orchids ) if you consider any of those.

Agree with Nathan on these.  The Sobralia orchids will be green most of the year, but the super sized blooms on them are spectacular.  I would also consider some potted Dendrobium speciosum placed strategically, as their blooms are spectacular and last 2-3 weeks.

Full sun spots with good drainage consider some more drought tolerant plantings to soften your water bills.  My personal bias is to the blue Encephalartos species such as E princeps, E horridus, E trispinosis, as well as some of the grey/green/blue species like E eugene maraisii, E nubimontanus, E dyerianus and E cupidus. (E princeps pictured alone below, and E horridus aside an E blue arenarius x latifrons in the other photo).  Lots of medium size aloes to choose from and you could even do the "mini" of the Aloidendron family, Aloidendron ramosissimum (potted specimen in photo).  All will soften your water bills and add some mid-range size with a different color, just give them all plenty of sun and good drainage.

20210420-BH3I3434.jpg

20210420-BH3I3435.jpg

20210401-BH3I3324.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation