IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaerops Problem

GregVirginia7

Any ideas on what the ailment might be? Interior spears have a fair amount of yellow...one of the fronds that did open up is quite small and blotchy green and yellow...otherwise, the fronds exposed to the winter look great...I sprayed some copper fungicide this evening...tried giving the inner most spear a pull but the palm threatened to rip my hand to shreds...any experience with this specific malady??

image.thumb.jpg.097fb0efd2149f56482861e7e4d14289.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1f42fb96637e932e338e3fbc78100f65.jpg

Considering that you're in Zone 7, it looks very good.  Generally they will throw spears if exposed to temps less than 20 F, but they recover quickly.

6 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Considering that you're in Zone 7, it looks very good.  Generally they will throw spears if exposed to temps less than 20 F, but they recover quickly.

6 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Oddly enough, the smaller sucker (not pictured) that gets the greatest exposure to winter temps looks perfect...just don’t want any heart rot setting in...the affected spears aren’t completely yellowed either so I’ll just wait and see what happens.

• Like 1

Doesn't look too bad to me.

But you should keep an eye on it and check frequently if you can pull the spear. It has to be romoved, if you can pull it.

Perhaps its just me, but it looks like you may have had a small amount of rot develop over the winter. 

I would spray with a copper based fungicide, and give it plenty of sunlight and heat, it should be just fine. 

• Like 1

Thank you...did hit it with copper based fungicide and pulled on the spears...all are solid...guess I’ll have some ugly fronds to deal with this summer...

• Like 1

It will likely only be a couple, and they grow so many fronds so quickly, its of little consequence.

Give it a fertilization if you haven't already, that will help it push new growth.

I noticed one of mine had similar stunted/yellowed fronds in January.  It probably wasn't cold damage in my case, since we only had a few days near freezing.  I squirted some hydrogen peroxide in the center and it bubbled up a lot.  So I did a soil drench with Banrot and repeated the hydrogen peroxide for a couple of weeks.  Almost immediately it started pushing out nice looking spears, though of course the messed up ones stayed that way. 

I had to dig it up due to an impending septic drain field installation, and there were some blackened roots down there directly under the base.  I had planted it from a 15g "palm special" at a local big box store, and it was severely root bound.  I probably didn't do a good job of root pruning from the pot.  Here's a photo of what it looked like when I spotted the problem:

267373952_P1070324Chamaeropsfungus.thumb.JPG.3e7d135c16edf3e8de5b0e19923e3fb1.JPG

Glad it’s coming back...thinking mine is fungal from relatively wet, cool spring...sprayed it with a copper fungicide and it looks like the infection only involves a few spears...it’s been a real trooper being at the northern edge of its tolerance...

Question on med fans, how picky are their roots.  If you buy a container with 2 or 3 med fans in them, can you separate them.  I know some palms have pickier roots than others.