IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this Livistona mariae???

Stevetoad

I’m pretty sure this is Livistona mariae but am looking for confirmation now that it’s in bloom. It looks so similar to my decora that for a while I was thinking that I just had 2 decoras. The flowers are very different so at least I know it’s not decora. 

first are overall pics of the palm in question 

FA42B315-F885-4ED4-AAFF-079E38D46AB3.jpeg

125077C2-E79E-4C41-B0AD-50534E217B08.jpeg

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Here’s some shots of the flowers. First pic is the palm in question second is my decora for comparison. 

EA4F222E-5B51-4214-B01D-F94197965501.jpeg

F5A21428-9BC4-403B-A113-8C3FFF88BCEB.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Here are some side by side shots of the flowers. The right side is decora 

9494846D-587E-4AC5-8C43-B3EF35A67177.jpeg

FBD35C4F-E2FA-4B19-867E-767ACE27CA0F.jpeg

• Like 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I’m no expert at all with the flowers, but the fronds look too deeply divided to by L mariae. L mariae is described as having fronds divided for about 50% of the length (L decora 80% for comparison, which more closely matches yours). Fronds also don’t seem glaucous enough to be L mariae. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

3 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Here’s some shots of the flowers. First pic is the palm in question second is my decora for comparison. 

EA4F222E-5B51-4214-B01D-F94197965501.jpeg

F5A21428-9BC4-403B-A113-8C3FFF88BCEB.jpeg

This loaded backwards the top one is decora. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

2 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I’m no expert at all with the flowers, but the fronds look too deeply divided to by L mariae. L mariae is described as having fronds divided for about 50% of the length (L decora 80% for comparison, which more closely matches yours). Fronds also don’t seem glaucous enough to be L mariae. 

I agree but the flowers are clearly not decora. Another thing is that this palm was solid red when it was young and faded to green once it developed trunk which is a mariae trait. Your right about the leaves though which has made me think it’s something different. I guess it could be a hybrid. I’m hoping someone with knowledge of the flowers will chime in as that seems to be the only thing that the botanist care about when describing a species. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

If it was solid red when young turn it must have some L mariae (or var rigida) in it. Pretty sure no other Livistona species exhibit this trait. L mariae is know you hybridise with a few other species so maybe a hybrid could be possible. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

3 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

If it was solid red when young turn it must have some L mariae (or var rigida) in it. Pretty sure no other Livistona species exhibit this trait. L mariae is know you hybridise with a few other species so maybe a hybrid could be possible. 

Maybe mariae x decora.  The leaves look the same as decora to me

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I have one.  I should go take photos tomorrow.  It too is in flower.  Can't remember when I got it or how big it was.  LOL  Old Age.  LOL

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

6 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

I have one.  I should go take photos tomorrow.  It too is in flower.  Can't remember when I got it or how big it was.  LOL  Old Age.  LOL

That would be great !

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

This is what I have as L. mariae.  Don't know where It came from or how big it was.  Most likely planted in 2005 when I cleared this area.  I have a 2008 photo and two I took today.  The last two were cell pictures w/digital zoom.  My camera w/optical zoom had dead battery.  Will try again if it holds a charge.

LivistonaMariae2008-10.jpg

LivistonaMariae20210417_094134.jpg

LivistonaMariae20210417_094236.jpg

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

My mariae and decora are quite similar, decora is just more deeply divided in the leaf, but both are very droopy in those leaflets, but this comes more with age.  This palm looks like mariae.  Young mariae dont seem to have those droopy tips to the same extent as one with 10' of trunk.  Cutural conditions may impact that with high leaf transpiration leaflet tips may shorten, they seemed to droop less in the ariona dsert but still a good palm for the desert as well.   And also decora has no red as mentioned above its exclusive to maria and rigida.  Also my own decoras are notably more deeply divided than steves palm.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank