Sign in to follow this  
JohnAndSancho

Majesty questions

JohnAndSancho

These 2 were both from the orange big box store. The short yellow one was bought in 12/19 and the other one was mail ordered during the lockdown last year. Both came from Costa Farms. 

I'm really trying to figure out why the underpotted one with roots exposed at the top is growing tall and green, while the adequately potted one is bushy and yellow. Both have gotten slow-release Carl Pool fertilizer, every other watering has a drop of Superthrive and a half dose of Alaska fish emulsion, both got some Jobes palm food, both keep pushing new fronds pretty regularly. 

But Groot (the yellow one, and my first palm) keeps growing short fronds and gets bushy, and Groot Junior goes vertical. What's a cheap and dirty solution to get Groot green again?

Message_1618522138474.jpg

Message_1618522114255.jpg

lzorrito

Water, water and more water.

JohnAndSancho
4 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Water, water and more water.

They get plenty. Wet feet. 

Should I try some suplomag? Laughing at the idea of spending $30 on vitamins for a $12 plant lol 

lzorrito
25 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

They get plenty. Wet feet.

Should I try some suplomag? Laughing at the idea of spending $30 on vitamins for a $12 plant lol 

I see, it is another question then, and you will come across it many times as a palm grower ... I have exactly the same problem with my rivularis, which I repotted a few weeks ago (pics attached). The one that was completely root bound (had to water it twice a day) has green leaves, but the other, whose roots and pot are smaller, is more for the yellowish kind. They are both about the same size and receive the same amount of water, sun and fertilizer ... what now? I assume that one has adapted very well to the conditions of my patio, but the other is taking a while, although it is growing at a good pace. Law of Nature, the best fitted wins and thrives.

You may try suplomag, but go easy with with. These are avid for fertilizer, mine receive the maximum recommended rate and I only apply like that on two or three other species. What dose/rate do you apply yours?

Laughing at the idea of spending $30 on vitamins for a $12 plant? You will still spend much more, you even can’t imagine !!:D

IMG_20210319_183735.jpg

IMG_20210319_183814.jpg

IMG_20210319_183922.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gonzer

As discussed ad nauseum in the past,  Superthrive has never been documented to enhance plant performance.

• Like 2

JohnAndSancho
18 minutes ago, Gonzer said:

As discussed ad nauseum in the past,  Superthrive has never been documented to enhance plant performance.

I know. But I bought it. So I use it. I don't think it's any kind of miracle cure oil that's going to make my trees spring to life and tower over the skyline or anything, but it also hasn't killed any of them and I'm only out $10. 

Frond-friend42

My personal theory is that the roots like to get air.

Fungus-rot (pinkish brown?)killed one half of my double majesty and the other is making a comeback but I am letting it dry out more between watering and that seems to be helping.

• Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho
4 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

My personal theory is that the roots like to get air.

Fungus-rot (pinkish brown?)killed one half of my double majesty and the other is making a comeback but I am letting it dry out more between watering and that seems to be helping.

Mine are in bottom watering pots in a sort of loose mix so that shouldn't be an issue. I kept him inside for a while, before I got tired of fungus gnats. I had to repot him once or twice already, and I was thinking he was getting too much sun at first - but he's been an outside plant for about a year now unless we have a freak storm or cold. He's still growing, he's just short and fat instead of tall like the other. 

JohnAndSancho

Welp. Groot had a really sad and droopy frond, so I moved everything around on the patio to get a look. Somehow a few perlite pebbles were in the growing point, so I fished them out and cut the sad frond off and squirted some peroxide on the cut and into his center. It bubbled up a little so I'll keep treating him and hope he starts looking better as the temps warm up.