IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bromeliad Perez

Paradise Found

Very interesting bromeliad that has some of the darkest leaf color.  Small red flowers hang down.  The color is actually very dark Burgundy / maroon. 

But don't let this little bit of sunshine fool you its a spreader and looks best in a hanging basket or in a container sitting on a plant stand to let the long leave to hang down naturally. 

First two are my photos... inside my messy greenhouse, lol.

IMG-0178.JPG

IMG-0182.JPG

3b24f00cbb843e9dde88996b20a1f378.jpg

61923f4642587eb86a1e5fa4a4219094.jpg

2d4e5abc0bcde14282dfc289c6f24840.jpg

• Like 7

That is a beautiful Bromeliad.  I have never grown Bromeliads, are they fairly easy to grow?  

35 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

That is a beautiful Bromeliad.  I have never grown Bromeliads, are they fairly easy to grow?  

Yes they are easy to grow most of them anyways.  Winter just bring them inside and give less water and some lights, heat and they will grow right through winter.  little to cold here in winter so plant outside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Literally the easiest thing you could grow here in Florida, just sit them on the ground, sun or shade and ignore. I actually think they are overused, some people go crazy collecting them and all of the bright colors get gaudy quickly. Bilbergia pyramdalis is probably the most common and definitely one of the toughest, apparently hardy to 26F at least. If I wanted to grow bromeliads in south Texas I would probably start with that one. 

• Like 3

I absolutely love my aechmea Perez!  That one does best with a little shade, and needs to hang. 

Other favorite black broms are “Darth Vader” (currently my avatar), and Aechmea “black on black” (a recent find that is a true black, and can handle some sun). 

Most bromeliads are crazy easy to raise... just need to know whether it’s a sun or shade variety. Even if you’re in full sun, there’s a bromeliad out there for you!

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

5 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Yes they are easy to grow most of them anyways.  Winter just bring them inside and give less water and some lights, heat and they will grow right through winter.  little to cold here in winter so plant outside. 

Reyes you got some good advise on growing bromeliads. 

Looking at the TX map your in 9b a humid subtropical climate so YES you can grow quite a few bromeliads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idesign123 said:

I absolutely love my aechmea Perez!  That one does best with a little shade, and needs to hang. 

Other favorite black broms are “Darth Vader” (currently my avatar), and Aechmea “black on black” (a recent find that is a true black, and can handle some sun). 

Most bromeliads are crazy easy to raise... just need to know whether it’s a sun or shade variety. Even if you’re in full sun, there’s a bromeliad out there for you!

Yes, "Darth Vader" is a nice one with jet black leaves and white horizontal strips.  I'll have to check out those other black ones. Another good one I have found and very popular is A. chantinii cv. Black with deep black stripes that really stands out in the garden, its a little on the tender side, But easy to grow and dramatic looking. 

I'm on a crazy "Black Leaf" craze in general.... not just bromeliad.

aechmea-chantinii-cv-black-bromeliads-bromeliad-paradise_600x.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 3

I love "black" in the garden as well (though some is slightly purple)...

• I've put "Black Mondo grass" in lots of places (wish it would propagate faster).
  • Dark Cordyline ("Ti") is a great mid-height plant for contrasting colors (and a nice change from the red ones).
  • I also LOVE the "Black Magic" elephant ear plants (colocasia), but have given up on those as they're always smaller each season (they do come back, but mine are now laughably tiny). 

Here's a photo of the "black on black" that was similar to the Perez (not my photo). It reminds me a lot of Perez, but is upright. New favorite for me.

black-on-black.jpg

Edited by idesign123
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, idesign123 said:

I absolutely love my aechmea Perez!  

Developed by Hummel many years ago who, by the way, was a Carlsbad resident.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, idesign123 said:

I love "black" in the garden as well (though some is slightly purple)...

• I've put "Black Mondo grass" in lots of places (wish it would propagate faster).
  • Dark Cordyline ("Ti") is a great mid-height plant for contrasting colors (and a nice change from the red ones).
  • I also LOVE the "Black Magic" elephant ear plants (colocasia), but have given up on those as they're always smaller each season (they do come back, but mine are now laughably tiny). 

Here's a photo of the "black on black" that was similar to the Perez (not my photo). It reminds me a lot of Perez, but is upright. New favorite for me.

black-on-black.jpg

Idesign123  I did ordered Ti black magic  and one bulb of Elephant ear - 'Jumbo Diamond Head'. Leaves are dark and biggest I've seen in Black. 

See photo from supplier... Eden Brothers.

Elephant-Ears-Diamond-Head-3_medium.jpg

• Upvote 1

So beautiful- reminds me how much I’d love to have some in my yard :violin:

I bought some huge ones from a local nursery, and they looked absolutely fantastic in my yard. Problem was that the following year there were fewer of them, and the were much smaller. Then the third year they were laughably tiny.

I then tried again with a different type (a shiny one that looked just like your photo). Same story... gorgeous and huge the first year, then got smaller and fewer the following year (then micro size). I’ve read that this tends to happen with the dark colored ones.

So my yard has black bromeliads, black cordyline (Ti), black mondo grass... but no more black elephant ears (which is a major bummer). Ended up buying some philodendron “Evansii” and that fills the need ok... but I’d love to find that dream black elephant ear someday. Hopefully you have better luck with them than I did.

Photo of the “Evansii” I settled for (mine aren’t this big yet, but are growing nicely). They’re more green than black, but still darker than most of the green in my yard. And it’s not seasonal (and still enormous)... so I can live with it not being black I guess.

C588F1FC-322B-49A8-9B4B-35966923ABFB.jpeg

Edited by idesign123
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, idesign123 said:

So beautiful- reminds me how much I’d love to have some in my yard :violin:

I bought some huge ones from a local nursery, and they looked absolutely fantastic in my yard. Problem was that the following year there were fewer of them, and the were much smaller. Then the third year they were laughably tiny.

I then tried again with a different type (a shiny one that looked just like your photo). Same story... gorgeous and huge the first year, then got smaller and fewer the following year (then micro size). I’ve read that this tends to happen with the dark colored ones.

So my yard has black bromeliads, black cordyline (Ti), black mondo grass... but no more black elephant ears (which is a major bummer). Ended up buying some philodendron “Evansii” and that fills the need ok... but I’d love to find that dream black elephant ear someday. Hopefully you have better luck with them than I did.

Photo of the “Evansii” I settled for (mine aren’t this big yet, but are growing nicely). They’re more green than black, but still darker than most of the green in my yard. And it’s not seasonal (and still enormous)... so I can live with it not being black I guess.

C588F1FC-322B-49A8-9B4B-35966923ABFB.jpeg

NIce!!! That will surely give you that tropical look! :greenthumb:

Have you tried the newer and oldie Dark leaf Phormium?  Some get up to 6' and other only 3'. 

Here a few that I have that are some of the blackest. 

Platts black nice color.

Black Adder beautiful weeping form.

Mat's Merlot 6' tall upright with the tips bending down, very dark. 

Also Cordyline 'Superstar" is nice dark color and only grows to 3" tall. 

Also a grower once told me that you have to add lots of manure every year in the west to get Elephant Ears to grow and bloom here.  And she had some nice big green and purple ones in bloom in mostly sunny area, growing on a mound.

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 2

Great ideas! Looking through your list, I realized I don't have any black in a "tall grass" form. The "Phormium" types in particular are catching my eye... I'll have to add some of those to my collection.

I like having the black color in a variety of shapes/sizes... thanks for the idea for another "black" addition!

Stacey

Edited by idesign123
  • Like 1