Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alex High

Who Knew Edgar Allen Poe Grew Hardy Palms?

Recommended Posts

Alex High

Hello all,

I was on Google Maps earlier today looking through the photos that were there of Richmond to see if there were palms in any of them. And indeed the 6th picture of Richmond had some Sabal minor and a sago palm in it. So I eagerly clicked on it and it said it was taken at the Poe Museum, which I looked up on Google Maps and it turns out there are quite a few remarkable palms and exotic plants growing there, turns out Poe was quite the gardener! The palms growing there today are certainly newer, than when Poe lived there, but judging by other historic gardens I have been to such as those at Mount Vernon, they try to replicate everything and use the exact plants planted back in the day, so I assume that Edgar Allen Poe was one of the pioneers of hardy palm growing in the Mid-Atlantic, as was George Washington by the way! Below is the photo I came across on Google Maps:

image.thumb.png.8535951164fa164b997efc81db8d122e.png

Next I looked up the place on street view and found more exotic surprises! First the palms and sagos:

Google Maps link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5322014,-77.4259178,3a,75y,349.17h,66.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipP62pnB6Q-QfN2d1iwI8Ou0HvOwTTWFBqC2LUb0!2e10!7i6720!8i3360

image.thumb.png.df6e8b2734b64985f25b548db735a920.png

There are also needle palms along with the Sabal minor and sagos on the other side of the path:

image.thumb.png.f77c0d6d69bcb4d59b8d1e15c18713c0.png

There are also lots of nice magnolias and other subtropical trees growing in the courtyard next to the palms:

image.thumb.png.dc77de7715e2c953377b9ea4e905069d.png

image.thumb.png.dda5d5d4c39dfcb58211ddfc70bbfca3.pngimage.thumb.png.8c6e3fccae0a4912ce31f0af7c068d8a.png

And lastly there is a MASSIVE southern live oak (Quercus virginiana) growing next to the home that towers over it and covers much of it. This is most likely from Poe's time, and it is likely that he planted it or had it planted, unless it is older, which it could be:

Google Maps links:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5319044,-77.4260357,3a,75y,24.79h,96.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAl4JzssxmI-EKOjljq5bcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5321178,-77.4259545,2a,90y,157.16h,127.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa1467AV7_bEAAAQINShVuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5320721,-77.4258458,45m/data=!3m1!1e3

image.thumb.png.5dcd8e410821cc3e5036075445c985c2.png

image.thumb.png.bde638bcb63f87434d74d51ac8d2df56.png

image.thumb.png.de1e1595e42e2f09cef145a2fe0fc48d.png

image.thumb.png.12383e1394e758f48f28ba3af4bf3cf4.png

image.png

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex High

I can't believe I didn't visit when I was in Richmond in February, I thought about it and I was so close, but I didn't have enough time. I will have to return and visit the Poe Museum. I did find some big windmills while I was there though, one of which I already knew about from looking online and thew other two I just happened across on the same street.

Here is a big windmill I knew about from looking online. The weather was cold and it was sleeting while we were there, so there was a thick layer of snow and ice covering everything, including the palms, but they didn't seem to mind. I have videos of them on my YouTube channel, PalmsUSA. This one is on Park Avenue, where there are a number of palms:

Google Maps link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5554858,-77.4650706,3a,27.3y,40.12h,88.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXRGqjXLcIY6kd6yKNpK_SQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

image.png.80438ad6b5b85a95975cd3ae539ba97c.png

image.png.644705534ae71dd49ecb9e3646f9d58b.png

The next one is planted in front of a Cuban restaurant, also on Park Avenue, and is much smaller than the other two:

FD141990-9A51-4CCE-A4BD-2EC08210D43A_1_105_c.jpeg.50a7e73c8da547dffea4a24f1255ca5f.jpeg

image.png.a473be2ac34cf7f117ad4927690ced4e.png

And the last one is a beast, just down the street from the other two palms:

Google Maps link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5495856,-77.4568126,3a,52.7y,19.89h,90.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGhhc_vUfqMnjQqGE3gD7Zw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

image.png.ddcefc17bde4f3ed54ee1c68f44c34b6.png

image.png.d15d343d3f14b977c6534f4a8643e0fa.png

I know there are a bunch of other palms around the city, and I know of a couple of others, but please let me know if you know of any other palms in Richmond, as there certainly are plenty more. Here are some more that I didn't get to see.

This windmill is massive, and it is also growing just up the street from the other windmills I visited. I went to the house to try to see it, but it is growing in a rear courtyard with a large wall surrounding it so I couldn't see it:

2315 Monument Avenue, Richmond, VA

2315 Monument Avenue Richmond VA for sale: MLS #2004163 | Weichert

2315 Monument Avenue Richmond VA for sale: MLS #2004163 | Weichert

This one I found on Google Maps, on the south side of the James River:

Google Maps link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5226599,-77.4717973,3a,15y,335.92h,102.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU0mn_GCDU2rPT_IvsmaOfA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

image.thumb.png.2c83dcd563ecf252d2c488cfc0462e28.png

This one is in the northeastern suburbs of Richmond. Nice looking palm, it kind of looks like a Butia x Jubaea. I wonder if it ever receives protection?

Google Maps link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6138651,-77.6329865,3a,15y,337.65h,87.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbcEEOKWiD3pf_g1r77FaZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

image.thumb.png.58f60707fbba0d1d7d2193c6ce493164.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PricklyPearSATC
1 hour ago, PalmsUSA said:

Hello all,

I was on Google Maps earlier today looking through the photos that were there of Richmond to see if there were palms in any of them. And indeed the 6th picture of Richmond had some Sabal minor and a sago palm in it. So I eagerly clicked on it and it said it was taken at the Poe Museum, which I looked up on Google Maps and it turns out there are quite a few remarkable palms and exotic plants growing there, turns out Poe was quite the gardener! The palms growing there today are certainly newer, than when Poe lived there, but judging by other historic gardens I have been to such as those at Mount Vernon, they try to replicate everything and use the exact plants planted back in the day, so I assume that Edgar Allen Poe was one of the pioneers of hardy palm growing in the Mid-Atlantic, as was George Washington by the way! Below is the photo I came across on Google Maps:

image.thumb.png.8535951164fa164b997efc81db8d122e.png

Next I looked up the place on street view and found more exotic surprises! First the palms and sagos:

Google Maps link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5322014,-77.4259178,3a,75y,349.17h,66.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipP62pnB6Q-QfN2d1iwI8Ou0HvOwTTWFBqC2LUb0!2e10!7i6720!8i3360

image.thumb.png.df6e8b2734b64985f25b548db735a920.png

There are also needle palms along with the Sabal minor and sagos on the other side of the path:

image.thumb.png.f77c0d6d69bcb4d59b8d1e15c18713c0.png

There are also lots of nice magnolias and other subtropical trees growing in the courtyard next to the palms:

image.thumb.png.dc77de7715e2c953377b9ea4e905069d.png

image.thumb.png.dda5d5d4c39dfcb58211ddfc70bbfca3.pngimage.thumb.png.8c6e3fccae0a4912ce31f0af7c068d8a.png

And lastly there is a MASSIVE southern live oak (Quercus virginiana) growing next to the home that towers over it and covers much of it. This is most likely from Poe's time, and it is likely that he planted it or had it planted, unless it is older, which it could be:

Google Maps links:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5319044,-77.4260357,3a,75y,24.79h,96.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAl4JzssxmI-EKOjljq5bcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5321178,-77.4259545,2a,90y,157.16h,127.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa1467AV7_bEAAAQINShVuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5320721,-77.4258458,45m/data=!3m1!1e3

image.thumb.png.5dcd8e410821cc3e5036075445c985c2.png

image.thumb.png.bde638bcb63f87434d74d51ac8d2df56.png

image.thumb.png.de1e1595e42e2f09cef145a2fe0fc48d.png

image.thumb.png.12383e1394e758f48f28ba3af4bf3cf4.png

image.png

Did Poe have a cycad..LOL? 
Right lower corner

It does not look like a new transplant to me, so it may have survived a few winters. 

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
10 hours ago, PalmsUSA said:

Edgar Allen Poe was one of the pioneers of hardy palm growing in the Mid-Atlantic

Interesting, I'll have to ask my mother about it whose maiden name was Poe.  He was her great-uncle I believe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex High
20 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Did Poe have a cycad..LOL? 
Right lower corner

It does not look like a new transplant to me, so it may have survived a few winters. 

Indeed, that's what I was thinking. Yeah there are several cycads planted around the other palms, you can see them on Google Maps and in some of the photos, and it does look like they have survived a few winters, they are in a sheltered courtyard so they definitely have a better chance than if they were out in the open. Cheers!

10 hours ago, Fusca said:

Interesting, I'll have to ask my mother about it whose maiden name was Poe.  He was her great-uncle I believe.

Wow, that's crazy, yeah definitely ask her, I wish I was related to a pioneer in hardy palm growing! Thanks for sharing, take care!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jons0027

randomly stumbled across this thread trying to find other examples of sabal minors in richmond. alex, i follow you on youtube and really enjoy your posts! 

i have a couple of small ones going in my yard, and they survived last winter just fine. surprised you don't see more around town. 

i started an instagram that i post to sporadically, that you might find of interest: 

the one you posted above in front of the cuban restaraunt is doing great! that one is interesting because it's planted in the road verge, which is technically only supposed to have trees planted by the city. not sure if the restaurant planted it, or they did a special arrangement with the city. would be very exciting if the city started planting windmills!

here are a couple of other palms i've come across in the Fan. street view is kind of old on some of these, so in many cases they are much larger now!

3100 monument ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5629344,-77.4750758,3a,75y,26.66h,92.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFD_rJh_wqdg0IJnrxd_rdA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

2500 floyd ave https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5527217,-77.4719113,3a,75y,203.77h,96.92t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipNfAMcTOGkMe7TdsMzZekExG-G64Ku55uw7VFw8!2e10!5s20211101T000000!7i7680!8i3840

2600 w main https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5522122,-77.4742142,3a,25.9y,20.87h,84.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6s9t0UvZWVeiS9Xj5UyKow!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 (tiny here, but this one has grown like a weed in 2 years time!)

1800 w grace st https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5551509,-77.4599102,3a,36.1y,231.63h,89.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTuxpqias8sZWxuKDv3NvKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 (haven't checked on these since last winter)

2400 grove ave https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5535911,-77.4705435,3a,33.8y,189.47h,87.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ74ciULiZ9FEVqNlXbb9FQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (needle palm may not even be in this photo, but one is now located near the bananas)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alex High
6 hours ago, jons0027 said:

randomly stumbled across this thread trying to find other examples of sabal minors in richmond. alex, i follow you on youtube and really enjoy your posts! 

i have a couple of small ones going in my yard, and they survived last winter just fine. surprised you don't see more around town. 

i started an instagram that i post to sporadically, that you might find of interest: 

the one you posted above in front of the cuban restaraunt is doing great! that one is interesting because it's planted in the road verge, which is technically only supposed to have trees planted by the city. not sure if the restaurant planted it, or they did a special arrangement with the city. would be very exciting if the city started planting windmills!

here are a couple of other palms i've come across in the Fan. street view is kind of old on some of these, so in many cases they are much larger now!

3100 monument ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5629344,-77.4750758,3a,75y,26.66h,92.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFD_rJh_wqdg0IJnrxd_rdA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

2500 floyd ave https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5527217,-77.4719113,3a,75y,203.77h,96.92t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipNfAMcTOGkMe7TdsMzZekExG-G64Ku55uw7VFw8!2e10!5s20211101T000000!7i7680!8i3840

2600 w main https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5522122,-77.4742142,3a,25.9y,20.87h,84.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6s9t0UvZWVeiS9Xj5UyKow!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 (tiny here, but this one has grown like a weed in 2 years time!)

1800 w grace st https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5551509,-77.4599102,3a,36.1y,231.63h,89.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTuxpqias8sZWxuKDv3NvKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 (haven't checked on these since last winter)

2400 grove ave https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5535911,-77.4705435,3a,33.8y,189.47h,87.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ74ciULiZ9FEVqNlXbb9FQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (needle palm may not even be in this photo, but one is now located near the bananas)

Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it! That is so cool, thank you very much for sharing all those locations, wow there are a lot of windmills in the Fan District, should be called the Fan Palm District! That's so great to see! Richmond is a great city, I have to get back there soon and check out these other palms, very cool! Love seeing so many windmills being planted in zone 7a/7b, I wish they would plant more here in the D.C. area, we're pretty much the same zone as Richmond. Awesome to hear you're growing some hardy palms there, keep us updated! Unfortunately I don't have Instagram but I hope to get it soon. Thanks for sharing, so cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jons0027

@Alex High,  absolutely! Next time you're around be sure to check out Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden.  Lot of cool plants, including a massive 30 year old needle palm. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex

Remembering Edgar Allen Por.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...