Haddock

Palmettos are the toughest palms

Haddock

Funny story with palmettos I had a couple of weeks ago. There was this palmetto tree near me that had some seedlings beside it. I dediced to go dig them out and plant them. This being my first time digging out seedlings and the fact they were growing in the almost pure clay soil of the piedmont the roots got damaged. They lost a good portion of the root system ( it’s ok I got a bunch only 2 got damaged) and I wasn’t super confident they’d survive. So I put them in a palm cactus potting soil mix ( much better then the clay they were growing in) and left them in side. I cut off a good potion on the fronds on them to increase survival rates and for humidity I would leave them near the shower when I showered. As expected the remainder of the frond shriveled up but only on one of the 2 palmettos, Surprisingly enough it was the least damaged one. The roots didn’t brown up though so I was still somewhat confident and now the palm is starting to show more green.

This and many other qualities of sabal palmetto make me believe it is the toughest palm in the world.

• Like 7

PalmatierMeg

Among trunking palms I believe it is right up there, esp. when you consider year round weather, not just winter. They revel in sun-blasted heat & sweltering humidity that cook most palm species, survive major hurricanes, droughts and arctic freezes. Their achilles' heels are climates that are deficient in the summer sun and heat they crave. I'm glad to see the current appreciation and respect for a palm that has been overlooked for decades.

• Like 3