IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What’s wrong with my date palm?

Haddock

My date palm (medjool) started showing brown at the bottom of the cotyledon frond yesterday. It’s not root rot the roots at the bottom of the pot are white, So I’m not sure what it is can anyone tell me?

thanks  

19ED24A9-AB2A-474E-AC69-A6E5992DC9F9.jpeg

C4CED0FD-A54F-44B0-9ADD-3FBED76E65B1.jpeg

Im guessing just the leaf as it emerges, my livistona chinensis looks like this, but the leaf is turning green as it emerges.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

If it was green and has turned brown, it is probably a systemic fungus often called collar rot.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

15 hours ago, gtsteve said:

If it was green and has turned brown, it is probably a systemic fungus often called collar rot.

Unfortunately this is what can happen when the substrate is very heavy and bad draining. Notice how moist the top is. A perfect environment for fungus thriving. I recommend the use of a more open potting mix with good drainage, fast draining top layer and some root aeration capacity.

Greetings, Luís

2 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Unfortunately this is what can happen when the substrate is very heavy and bad draining. Notice how moist the top is. A perfect environment for fungus thriving. I recommend the use of a more open potting mix with good drainage, fast draining top layer and some root aeration capacity.

I didn’t water the date in a week yesterday I watered it around the time I toke the picture. The potting soil is palm and cactus mix so it’s mostly sand. Drainage isn’t a issue. Roots at the bottom of the pot are white

2 hours ago, Haddock said:

I didn’t water the date in a week yesterday I watered it around the time I toke the picture. The potting soil is palm and cactus mix so it’s mostly sand. Drainage isn’t a issue. Roots at the bottom of the pot are white

The problem may then lie in your local growing environmental conditions. Although it is soil for cactus, it does not mean that it has the desirable drainage and aeration capacity. I also use it on some palm trees, but not on plants that have just germinated. Despite draining well, it is not properly indicated for small seedlings and is often not sterile.

Is the seedling pot located on area with good or flow? If not, you might have some fungus issues like that one, as there may be an optimal environment for the appearance of fungus at the base of the stem, which is very prone to that. Are there other palm trees nearby? Larger palms or other kind of plants?

Trust me, I have already lost valuable seedlings that are very difficult to replace due to poor air circulation combined with high humidity. Try to use components like coir, perlite, pumice, vulcanic gravel and pine bark, in the potting mix, to loosen it, it will be the most suitable. Do a search here on the forum, there is a lot of useful information.

Edited by lzorrito

Greetings, Luís

1 minute ago, lzorrito said:

The problem may then lie in your local growing environmental conditions. Although it is soil for cactus, it does not mean that it hasthe desirable drainage and aeration capacity. I also use it on some palm trees, but not on plants that have just germinated. Despite draining well, it is not properly indicated for small seedlings and is often not sterile.

Is the seedling pot located on area with good or flow? If not, you might have some fungus issues like that one, as there may be an optimal environment for the appearance of fungus at the base of the stem, which is very prone to that. Are there other palm trees nearby? Larger palms or other kind of plants?

Trust me, I have already lost valuable seedlings that are very difficult to replace due to poor air circulation combined with high humidity. Try to use components like coir, perlite, pumice, vulcanic gravel and pine bark, in the potting mix, to loosen it, it will be the most suitable. Do a search here on the forum, there is a lot of useful information.

I keep it inside because it would not do well with the humidity and wetness outside. I keep it next to a few palmetto seedlings ( funny story about that I’ll post soon). Whatever is affecting my seedling can I stop it? What’s the best fungicide for this 

1 minute ago, Haddock said:

I keep it inside because it would not do well with the humidity and wetness outside. I keep it next to a few palmetto seedlings ( funny story about that I’ll post soon). Whatever is affecting my seedling can I stop it? What’s the best fungicide for this 

Well, inside ... it's not easy. I have used systemic antifungals, but the results were not the best. I know there are some very good ones, but these are only available at a professional level and in large quantities. The best solution I found, through research and advice here, and it is working, was to change the potting soil paradigm and choose a well ventilated place, preferably without the pot contacting the floor. I hope this can help you.

Greetings, Luís

43 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Well, inside ... it's not easy. I have used systemic antifungals, but the results were not the best. I know there are some very good ones, but these are only available at a professional level and in large quantities. The best solution I found, through research and advice here, and it is working, was to change the potting soil paradigm and choose a well ventilated place, preferably without the pot contacting the floor. I hope this can help you.

Aight I changed the soil of it right now, the root system was healthy strong and white. The brown is only on the bottom of the cotyledon and no where else. The cotyledon isn’t as sturdy as it used to be but hopefully it will live. Thanks for the help  

20 hours ago, Haddock said:

Aight I changed the soil of it right now, the root system was healthy strong and white. The brown is only on the bottom of the cotyledon and no where else. The cotyledon isn’t as sturdy as it used to be but hopefully it will live. Thanks for the help  

:greenthumb:Hopefully, it will recover. Update us in about two weeks. It is always good to have an exchange of experiences. Life is a continuous learning process.

Greetings, Luís