Collectorpalms

Butia After Severe Freeze

Collectorpalms

Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?

Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.

2683C676-AA27-411F-8F5E-CCFA393A465B.jpeg

35665E23-AE4A-4DD9-805F-3E34DABD89AD.jpeg

E5975773-B26B-4892-BBE7-9E67F64B4696.jpeg

1D5B6AA6-0F03-480C-9D7D-BE1C09E91D01.jpeg

83C46B3C-E0ED-4573-9358-6BEF1DCF2880.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Collectorpalms

Fusca
4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Anyone having any luck with pure Butia

I'm not exactly Central Texas but close enough.  I have 3 Butia planted and none received any protection.  2 are bluer odoratas in my backyard and a green odorata in my side yard which has more alkaline soil.  Needless to say the green one was not looking great before February but somehow got by with minimal leaf damage and some damage to newest spear which has remained firm.  My largest blue one turned almost completely brown except for some green on the newest spear.  It's been pushing more and more new growth.  My smaller blue one that I grew from seed had spear pull right away, but newer leaves retained blue-green while older leaves turned brown.  Treated with copper fungicide and no movement at all after 7 weeks.  I finally cut it last week and it showed movement after only one day.  I think this photo was taken 3 or 4 days after the cut and the growth shows shape of a pinnate leaf.  Weeds are happily growing as well.  But I'd think that cutting them is the way to go especially any that have had spear pull based on my experience and conversations with Joseph.

rsz_cut_butia.thumb.jpg.9db843896f9f85b952c2789bbf37c165.jpg

• Like 4

atlamtapalms

I would cut the dead fronds and trunk cut. I’m 2 for 2 on trunk cutting. I don’t believe in letting spears rot in place after an extreme event. Only the strongest and longest will keep the bugs and rot deep inside from seeping to the meristem. Better than hoping and praying and wishing. If they  are dead on a trunk cut then better to replace now than wait 1 or 2 years for nothing to happen. Always another Butia around.

Edited by atlamtapalms

Collectorpalms

Butia Eriospatha I planted At brother In Hutto is alive and IS the hardiest Butia. After close to 1F

DEE00634-8CB6-41B8-A484-50C500E311BD.jpeg

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• MSX
      By MSX
      Hello everyone! I've been into palms for quite some time but this is my first experience of watching a palm grow from seed, and it happened that this is a Butia. I've been following these recommendations Germinating Butia Seed By Nigel Kembrey. Chamaerops No. 51 - published online 22-04-2005. According to the recommendations, a seed starting soilless medium contains 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. The medium was watered only once in the beginning before placing the nuts on the top of it, now it's almost bone dry to touch. Having spent nearly a month in a container (7 days of soaking + 21 days on the top of the medium) one of the seeds(nuts) have sprouted

Two more days and it pulls the nut up burying deeper into the perlite/vermiculite medium

The article mentioned above suggests the following: "I tend to allow the seedling to develop in the perlite until the leaf is visible, and then lift it out and pot it up. This gives the best survival ratio." So, my question - should I leave the nut like this until it develops the first small green leaf before transplanting it from the soilless medium to a separate container with a regular soil based medium? Or is it okay to move it in to the soil based medium right away? Thanks!
    • Mr.SamuraiSword
      By Mr.SamuraiSword
      Was passing through Macon Georgia last week, and was surprised at some of the palms. Spent around an hour driving around. One place called AP's Hidden Hideaway Restaurant on 4275 Broadway Dr, had some tall Washingtonia Robusta, especially for interior GA.  Quite a bit of winter burn, 30 - 50% of fronds were fried, most fronds had some burn.

Tallest ones here,

Some of the worst burn on these,

These three seemed more like filibusta. thicker trunks and all, and considerably less burn.

Couple more, volunteer on the bottom right.

In Washington Park in downtown Macon, were a couple very old Sabal Palmetto, I talked to a few people in a palm forum on FB and they said those palms were there and around the same size 1980s, so these were probably planted at least in the 1940s

Love that Lolipop Look.

Quite a few volunteers in the park, two of which were adult palms.

Across the street from this park, was another large volunteer, growing in a sidewalk.  Shows how long the old ones have been there.

Quite a few other interesting palms around town, the Hideaway also had quite a few Chinese Fan palms, mixed in with pindos and Washys.

Plenty of nice pindos around too.

Nice one in Downtown

Plenty of other great sabals around too.

Lots of nice Trachycarpus around, but only got to take photos of these two big ones.

Young Washingtonia in downtown, looking great.

Small Chinese Fan in downtown,

The Hideaway had tons of large Sago Cycads too, total of over 40 sagos at least.

One even naturalizing. 

Speaking of volunteers, the downtown region had plenty of sabal volunteers, clearly palms have been present for quite some time.

More Sagos around town, plenty of big ones.

Keep in mind I only looked around for about an hour, so this is only the tip of the palm iceburg in Macon

• The7thLegend
      By The7thLegend
      I was going through old pics and came across this unusual palm I took a photo of at Silver Springs.  At first I thought Phoenix Roebelenii, after a closer examination it looks like an old pygmy Butia.  It's a sweet looking palm and wanted to share.  I would like one for myself now.  What do you think? 

• Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone. I got these two Butias a year or two ago. They were together in a bag, but not labeled. The grower said that they were an unused one but couldn’t remember the species. It now appears that they are two different ones. Or is the purple colour not an identifying feature?  The purple one doesn’t appear to have signs of spines but the green one does. Any ideas on what it could be?

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I was up the hill from my house taking photos of the sunset and decided to take a picture of this Butia in my friend's yard.  I haven't asked him how old it is and if it was there when he bought the house in 1978.  Which Butia is it?  Sorry I didn't go around to the backyard to get a better photo including the trunk.