IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Lisa seedlings

mike-coral gables

Hopefully Meg will see my post . I purchased these from Meg growing in a community pot . Stepped them up today and wondering how many may be Lisa’s ?? 

CA886E1E-01B1-45DF-ACA5-B4036FBF0145.jpeg

A8301376-C03B-4A26-A887-44F1E5E1A3B1.jpeg

6 hours ago, mike-coral gables said:

wondering how many may be Lisa’s ??

I'm going to guess 7 of the 16.  If I remember right I believe @PalmatierMeg said that roughly 40% of the seedlings will have the trait based on her experience.

Jon Sunder

Some experts say Sabal Lisa germinations occurence is 20%. I have had up to 65% of germinations turn out lisoid, so I believe the occurence varies.

You can detect a possible Lisa variant in a strap leaf seedling this way: Run strap leaves lengthwise between your thumb and forefinger. Sabal Lisa strap leaves have a definite "cup" convexly rather than lie flat like normal leaves. As the palm grows that cup becomes more pronounced until the leaves roll almost into cylinders. When the plant produces adult leaves, the pinnae will be fused, not separate

Sabal Lisa Strap Leaves

1761248443_SabalLisasmall0312-30-12.JPG.c6705a2f3f73545dd865f96b867de564.JPG1909276610_SabalLisasmall037-21-12.JPG.ac2f8878b771797d5e8331867b0d179f.JPG1757723872_SabalLisasmall027-21-12.JPG.b5ee2f865d5afbf2906f479f3b003a87.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks all for your input ,based on Meg ‘s guidance I think maybe 8 of the 16 have curved strap leaf , hoping I’m correct ! 

• Upvote 1

In January 2017, I acquired 20 seeds from a Sabal Lisa from a palmster in Tampa, Florida. I have 17 seedlings from that acquisition. My seedlings aren't as advanced as Meg's and I may have to wait a while longer to be sure, but I examined my seedlings using Meg's criteria. What strikes me is that some of the newer leaflets are rather wide, while others are narrower. The wider leaflets do appear to be cupped. On the narrow leaflets, it's hard to tell. Some appear flat, while others do appear a little cupped. I suspect, based on limited present evidence, that I have over half Lisa seedlings. Here are what they look like, all in 1-gal pots, narrower leaflet seedlings to the rear:

976747082_SabalLisa_seedlings_MLM_041421.thumb.JPG.f1bd725de5d706fd9ee9aef341a3ae70.JPG

Edited by mike in kurtistown
added more info
  • Like 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2021 at 12:28 AM, mike in kurtistown said:

In January 2017, I acquired 20 seeds from a Sabal Lisa from a palmster in Tampa, Florida. I have 17 seedlings from that acquisition. My seedlings aren't as advanced as Meg's and I may have to wait a while longer to be sure, but I examined my seedlings using Meg's criteria. What strikes me is that some of the newer leaflets are rather wide, while others are narrower. The wider leaflets do appear to be cupped. On the narrow leaflets, it's hard to tell. Some appear flat, while others do appear a little cupped. I suspect, based on limited present evidence, that I have over half Lisa seedlings. Here are what they look like, all in 1-gal pots, narrower leaflet seedlings to the rear:

976747082_SabalLisa_seedlings_MLM_041421.thumb.JPG.f1bd725de5d706fd9ee9aef341a3ae70.JPG

Any updates?

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick