IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

input on my potting mix

Palmfarmer

Currently I just started making a very simple mix of:

2 part Coco Coir

2 part compost

1/2 part perlite

Is this mix fine for potted palms? it acts and feels very similar to cactus soil, but dries out a bit slower. 

• Upvote 1

Nice!! Mine is similar but with pine bark instead of compost.  Leca layer bottom of a terracotta. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Philly J said:

Nice!! Mine is similar but with pine bark instead of compost.  Leca layer bottom of a terracotta. :greenthumb:

Is the bark allready decomposed some? is it finely ground up? Would like to try that mix.

Allways heard mixing soil and wood together can be bad, but maybe people mean very fresh wood? got a recipe?

I see Bananajssi on youtube uses woodchips 50-50 with soil in his small nursery growing Trachycarpus.

2 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Currently I just started making a very simple mix of:

2 part Coco Coir

2 part compost

1/2 part perlite

Is this mix fine for potted palms? it acts and feels very similar to cactus soil, but dries out a bit slower. 

Add some pine bark, it will work much better.

Greetings, Luís

10 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Add some pine bark, it will work much better.

I need to find some way to grind it up to finer pieces first.

1 hour ago, Palmfarmer said:

I need to find some way to grind it up to finer pieces first.

In a pot or other container with drainage holes, water the bark, or you may drown it for while and then rinse, until it gets completely moist. Let it rest for about 48H (or more if needed) to soften, then you can break it to the desirable size using your hands. May need to use gardeners gloves. It's hard to find small bark chunks, so I downsize them like that. Try it.:greenthumb:

Consider also using crushed Leca.

• Like 2

Greetings, Luís

36 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

In a pot or other container with drainage holes, water the bark, or you may drown it for while and then rinse, until it gets completely moist. Let it rest for about 48H (or more if needed) to soften, then you can break it to the desirable size using your hands. May need to use gardeners gloves. It's hard to find small bark chunks, so I downsize them like that. Try it.:greenthumb:

We are super jealous of you Europeans and your Seramis haha!  We have turface here in North America but I don’t know if it’s the same or as good as Seramis.

1 minute ago, Philly J said:

We are super jealous of you Europeans and your Seramis haha!  We have turface here in North America but I don’t know if it’s the same or as good as Seramis.

Never tried it, it's quite expensive, but I'll probably give it a try next on cool season. Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Seramis-3x-15L-Spezial-Substrat-For-Palm-Trees-Erdersatz-Water-Storage-Drainage/264965490119

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

2 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Thanks I will try that on my next mix not completly sure on the amount though. but perhaps equal parts of compost, coco and crushed bark with a bit of perlite mixed in?

Why Leca? is your main purpose with the leca or wood to get better drainage mostly? Because leca har no nutrients as far as i know, or does it?

As far as I know it’s just like perlite/pumice/turface in that it’s just there to hold moisture i think.  In leca’s case that would be dried out clay

Does anyone know if Repti-Bark is suitable for potting mixes?  Seems cheap compared to bonsai branded bark fines.  The label says it's Fir.

17 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Does anyone know if Repti-Bark is suitable for potting mixes?  Seems cheap compared to bonsai branded bark fines.  The label says it's Fir.

I think this is what you're looking for:

Greetings, Luís

23 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Thanks I will try that on my next mix not completly sure on the amount though. but perhaps equal parts of compost, coco and crushed bark with a bit of perlite mixed in?

Why Leca? is your main purpose with the leca or wood to get better drainage mostly? Because leca har no nutrients as far as i know, or does it?

The amount must be measured according to both the environmental characteristics of your place as well as the requirements and specifics of each species of palm. Also the size of it determines the porosity and the components of the mixture. I usually conduct research on the characteristics of the native soil of each species, both in literature and on dedicated websites, as well as consulting experiences shared by those who grow them, and I often ask for advice here on the forum or by other means.

I use Leca for the purposes not only of drainage but also of aeration and to obtain a loose soil, which is very beneficial for the health of the roots and consequently for the overall development of the palm. Leca has no nutrients and is inert. The nutrients are made available by pine bark, some coarse peat and by the capacity of accumulation and later availability of it by the perlite. And of course I fertilize.

22 hours ago, Philly J said:

In leca’s case that would be dried out clay

Baked clay, but totaly PH inert.

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Luís

18 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

It totally is. It's also sterilized already. My L. Weddellanium are in a mix of Repti Bark and "Monto Clay," which is really just expensive Turface. 

Message_1616468283752.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cisco said:

I use a pine bark intended for use in a terrarium. Trixie is the name.

17 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It totally is. It's also sterilized already. My L. Weddellanium are in a mix of Repti Bark and "Monto Clay," which is really just expensive Turface. 

Good to know that it works and it's sterilized. But pricey, no?

I have also read here that someone is successfully using another substrate for terrarium, but of mineral origin, and also another of coral origin, in palms that love limestone substrates.

Greetings, Luís

7 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Good to know that it works and it's sterilized. But pricey, no?

i honestly don't remember what I paid for it. I just grabbed it off the shelf at Petco. I'm a very small time palm parent and live in an apartment so buying huge bags of anything isn't feasible. 

6 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm a very small time palm parent and live in an apartment so buying huge bags of anything isn't feasible. 

Yes, I am aware of that, I usually follow your posts. But I already noticed that the palm bug bit you well ... so it will only be a matter of time before you move to a bigger house with some outside space and start to acquire more and more palm trees, you will see.:D

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Luís

1 hour ago, lzorrito said:

Yes, I am aware of that, I usually follow your posts. But I already noticed that the palm bug bit you well ... so it will only be a matter of time before you move to a bigger house with some outside space and start to acquire more and more palm trees, you will see.:D

Current count is 35, with 4 more on the way :w00:

• Upvote 2

I just bought this mulch from Lowe's.  Would this work to put into a potting mix or is it to finely shredded?  Thanks.

20210420_131929.jpg

20210420_131956.jpg

20210420_132019.jpg

1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I just bought this mulch from Lowe's.  Would this work to put into a potting mix or is it to finely shredded?  Thanks.

Too finely shredded. It will decay very quickly, unless you use it on short term potting, adding it in a low ratio in the mix.

• Like 2

Greetings, Luís

7 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Too finely shredded. It will decay very quickly, unless you use it on short term potting, adding it in a low ratio in the mix.

Thank you.  I will use as mulch then.