Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Palmfarmer

input on my potting mix

Recommended Posts

Palmfarmer

Currently I just started making a very simple mix of:

2 part Coco Coir

2 part compost

1/2 part perlite

Is this mix fine for potted palms? it acts and feels very similar to cactus soil, but dries out a bit slower. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Philly J

Nice!! Mine is similar but with pine bark instead of compost.  Leca layer bottom of a terracotta. :greenthumb:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer
28 minutes ago, Philly J said:

Nice!! Mine is similar but with pine bark instead of compost.  Leca layer bottom of a terracotta. :greenthumb:

Is the bark allready decomposed some? is it finely ground up? Would like to try that mix.

Allways heard mixing soil and wood together can be bad, but maybe people mean very fresh wood? got a recipe?

I see Bananajssi on youtube uses woodchips 50-50 with soil in his small nursery growing Trachycarpus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Philly J

Yeah it’s a finer mulch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
2 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Currently I just started making a very simple mix of:

2 part Coco Coir

2 part compost

1/2 part perlite

Is this mix fine for potted palms? it acts and feels very similar to cactus soil, but dries out a bit slower. 

Add some pine bark, it will work much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer
10 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Add some pine bark, it will work much better.

I need to find some way to grind it up to finer pieces first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
1 hour ago, Palmfarmer said:

I need to find some way to grind it up to finer pieces first.

In a pot or other container with drainage holes, water the bark, or you may drown it for while and then rinse, until it gets completely moist. Let it rest for about 48H (or more if needed) to soften, then you can break it to the desirable size using your hands. May need to use gardeners gloves. It's hard to find small bark chunks, so I downsize them like that. Try it.:greenthumb:

Consider also using crushed Leca.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Philly J
36 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

In a pot or other container with drainage holes, water the bark, or you may drown it for while and then rinse, until it gets completely moist. Let it rest for about 48H (or more if needed) to soften, then you can break it to the desirable size using your hands. May need to use gardeners gloves. It's hard to find small bark chunks, so I downsize them like that. Try it.:greenthumb:

Consider also using crushed Leca.

We are super jealous of you Europeans and your Seramis haha!  We have turface here in North America but I don’t know if it’s the same or as good as Seramis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
1 minute ago, Philly J said:

We are super jealous of you Europeans and your Seramis haha!  We have turface here in North America but I don’t know if it’s the same or as good as Seramis.

Never tried it, it's quite expensive, but I'll probably give it a try next on cool season. Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Seramis-3x-15L-Spezial-Substrat-For-Palm-Trees-Erdersatz-Water-Storage-Drainage/264965490119

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer
2 hours ago, lzorrito said:

In a pot or other container with drainage holes, water the bark, or you may drown it for while and then rinse, until it gets completely moist. Let it rest for about 48H (or more if needed) to soften, then you can break it to the desirable size using your hands. May need to use gardeners gloves. It's hard to find small bark chunks, so I downsize them like that. Try it.:greenthumb:

Consider also using crushed Leca.

Thanks I will try that on my next mix not completly sure on the amount though. but perhaps equal parts of compost, coco and crushed bark with a bit of perlite mixed in?

Why Leca? is your main purpose with the leca or wood to get better drainage mostly? Because leca har no nutrients as far as i know, or does it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Philly J

As far as I know it’s just like perlite/pumice/turface in that it’s just there to hold moisture i think.  In leca’s case that would be dried out clay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keys6505

Does anyone know if Repti-Bark is suitable for potting mixes?  Seems cheap compared to bonsai branded bark fines.  The label says it's Fir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
17 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Does anyone know if Repti-Bark is suitable for potting mixes?  Seems cheap compared to bonsai branded bark fines.  The label says it's Fir.

I think this is what you're looking for:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
23 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Thanks I will try that on my next mix not completly sure on the amount though. but perhaps equal parts of compost, coco and crushed bark with a bit of perlite mixed in?

Why Leca? is your main purpose with the leca or wood to get better drainage mostly? Because leca har no nutrients as far as i know, or does it?

The amount must be measured according to both the environmental characteristics of your place as well as the requirements and specifics of each species of palm. Also the size of it determines the porosity and the components of the mixture. I usually conduct research on the characteristics of the native soil of each species, both in literature and on dedicated websites, as well as consulting experiences shared by those who grow them, and I often ask for advice here on the forum or by other means.

I use Leca for the purposes not only of drainage but also of aeration and to obtain a loose soil, which is very beneficial for the health of the roots and consequently for the overall development of the palm. Leca has no nutrients and is inert. The nutrients are made available by pine bark, some coarse peat and by the capacity of accumulation and later availability of it by the perlite. And of course I fertilize.

22 hours ago, Philly J said:

In leca’s case that would be dried out clay

Baked clay, but totaly PH inert.

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
18 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Does anyone know if Repti-Bark is suitable for potting mixes?  Seems cheap compared to bonsai branded bark fines.  The label says it's Fir.

 

It totally is. It's also sterilized already. My L. Weddellanium are in a mix of Repti Bark and "Monto Clay," which is really just expensive Turface. 

Message_1616468283752.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cisco

I use a pine bark intended for use in a terrarium. Trixie is the name.

FB_IMG_1616180855694.jpg

20210315_114626.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
7 hours ago, cisco said:

I use a pine bark intended for use in a terrarium. Trixie is the name.

17 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It totally is. It's also sterilized already. My L. Weddellanium are in a mix of Repti Bark and "Monto Clay," which is really just expensive Turface. 

Good to know that it works and it's sterilized. But pricey, no?

I have also read here that someone is successfully using another substrate for terrarium, but of mineral origin, and also another of coral origin, in palms that love limestone substrates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
7 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Good to know that it works and it's sterilized. But pricey, no?

i honestly don't remember what I paid for it. I just grabbed it off the shelf at Petco. I'm a very small time palm parent and live in an apartment so buying huge bags of anything isn't feasible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
6 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm a very small time palm parent and live in an apartment so buying huge bags of anything isn't feasible. 

Yes, I am aware of that, I usually follow your posts. But I already noticed that the palm bug bit you well ... so it will only be a matter of time before you move to a bigger house with some outside space and start to acquire more and more palm trees, you will see.:D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
1 hour ago, lzorrito said:

Yes, I am aware of that, I usually follow your posts. But I already noticed that the palm bug bit you well ... so it will only be a matter of time before you move to a bigger house with some outside space and start to acquire more and more palm trees, you will see.:D

Current count is 35, with 4 more on the way :w00:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reyes Vargas

I just bought this mulch from Lowe's.  Would this work to put into a potting mix or is it to finely shredded?  Thanks.

20210420_131929.jpg

20210420_131956.jpg

20210420_132019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lzorrito
1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I just bought this mulch from Lowe's.  Would this work to put into a potting mix or is it to finely shredded?  Thanks.

Too finely shredded. It will decay very quickly, unless you use it on short term potting, adding it in a low ratio in the mix.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reyes Vargas
7 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Too finely shredded. It will decay very quickly, unless you use it on short term potting, adding it in a low ratio in the mix.

Thank you.  I will use as mulch then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...