IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drip irrigation specifics

thallo

I’ve been feeling guilty for planting some thirsty palms in an increasingly arid Northern California. We’ve had 8 inches of rain this rain-year and only 12 inches last year! I’m trying to “tighten up” my irrigation in anticipation of water restrictions and wanted to tap into the hive mind

I set up some timed drip irrigation in my backyard and put “umbrella” style bubblers on my king palms and a few Japanese maples. I haven’t tried to measure the amount of water I’m using, but have read it can be more than the soil can absorb. It’s basic rainb1rd big box setup on a battery operated timer at the spigot. I used the same bubblers at their lower setting in my potted palms (kentias etc) on 1/4 inch line attached to 1/2 line.  I made sure the diameter of the water is within the pots edge  

I’m about to lay out the irrigation for my front landscape. I have two species of Rhopalostylis and a Beccariophoenix alfredii that need the consistency of drip. I’m planning to use the same 1/2” line but wanted feedback on emitters

are you using plain drip emitters as shown? do you run them from 1/2” to 1/4” lines and just end the drip near the trunk? How close to the trunk? Is 3 enough for say a palm with rootball that filled 24inch box?

Or do you run circles of 1/2” with emitters coming directly from the line?

do you make a basin to contain the water? I’ve got one palm on a small hillside, do you install one or two drips uphill?

I’ve found 1/4, 1/2, and 1 gallon per hour emitters. Are they usually pretty accurate? Do you prefer one gauge at a particular number of hours each week? My site is a large raised garden with fast-draining soil

I’m also growing P. roebelenii, Butia odorata, and Chamerops humilis. I’m not so worried about those but wanted an idea how minimal water I can keep them from folks in SoCal 

ive attached some lame photos I patched together on my iPad for reference! ;-)

Please let me know about other threads that may answer my questions  I’ve read enough to be very confused and overwhelmed with options

thanks in advance!

trey

ps: I’ve seen the beautiful Rhopalostylis all over Balboa Park in San Diego - how much annual water do you think those receive?

7B1E293F-5F5F-4BAF-91D3-F365A2C592A2.jpeg

610AC577-0D97-4672-99E5-B75179A0004C.jpeg

Edited by thallo
One more question

I posted my setup here:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/67575-irrigation-system-guide/&tab=comments#comment-982938

In Florida we rarely have extended droughts, but this spring definitely tested my setup.  We had 0.5" of rain from mid-February until yesterday, and a lot of 90 degree days.  Except for a few nursery area mini-fan sprays, I have everything on button drippers.  Just route the 1/2" hose nearby and then pop the button drippers into that hose.  I place the end of the 1/4" hose somewhat near the base, but not right on top of the palm.  If you planted a palm from a 24" box I'd make sure the dripper tube ends somewhere within that box area.  Otherwise you are watering the nearby dirt and not the palm.  As it roots in you move the drip tubes out away from the trunk. 

I tend to use two drip emitters per large palm, spaced opposite each other.  This is so the water is distributed a bit more evenly, and for redundancy.  If one dripper gets clogged, the other is probably still working.  So if I wander around and see a palm with signs of water stress, it likely hasn't gone bone dry from a single dripper failing.

Here in rainy, sandy FL I use two 1gph drippers for a 10-15' tall Beccariophoenix Alfredii, running for 30 minutes.  That's 1gph * 2 * 0.5 hours = 1 gallon of water for that palm.  This worked fine in our spring drought, the only plants that suffered were a couple of flushing cycads (Encephalartos Hildebrandtii and Whitelockii) that needed some additional water during the flush.  Your soil, humidity, and temperatures are totally different from mine.  So I can't recommend anything specific for your palms and area.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I tend to use two drip emitters per large palm, spaced opposite each other.  This is so the water is distributed a bit more evenly, and for redundancy.  If one dripper gets clogged, the other is probably still working.  So if I wander around and see a palm with signs of water stress, it likely hasn't gone bone dry from a single dripper failing.

Thanks for all the great feedback! This is a great point - I was planning on using three drips around the drip line of my biggest Rhopalostylis. I was only considering that the water might drip straight down through my soil instead of spreading horizontally ... I never thought of clogs or having redundancy. 

4 hours ago, thallo said:

Thanks for all the great feedback! This is a great point - I was planning on using three drips around the drip line of my biggest Rhopalostylis. I was only considering that the water might drip straight down through my soil instead of spreading horizontally ... I never thought of clogs or having redundancy. 

If you purge the 1/2" tubing before you install drippers then they are pretty reliable, at least the Rainbird ones are in my experience.  I clogged a few because I forgot to do this, but absent "infant mortality" on fresh installs they seem to work well.  Hard water could be a problem.   The cheap regulators get clogged once a year, so plan on checking them and replacing regularly.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, thallo said:

I’ve been feeling guilty for planting some thirsty palms in an increasingly arid Northern California. We’ve had 8 inches of rain this rain-year and only 12 inches last year! I’m trying to “tighten up” my irrigation in anticipation of water restrictions and wanted to tap into the hive mind

I set up some timed drip irrigation in my backyard and put “umbrella” style bubblers on my king palms and a few Japanese maples. I haven’t tried to measure the amount of water I’m using, but have read it can be more than the soil can absorb. It’s basic rainb1rd big box setup on a battery operated timer at the spigot. I used the same bubblers at their lower setting in my potted palms (kentias etc) on 1/4 inch line attached to 1/2 line.  I made sure the diameter of the water is within the pots edge  

I’m about to lay out the irrigation for my front landscape. I have two species of Rhopalostylis and a Beccariophoenix alfredii that need the consistency of drip. I’m planning to use the same 1/2” line but wanted feedback on emitters

are you using plain drip emitters as shown? do you run them from 1/2” to 1/4” lines and just end the drip near the trunk? How close to the trunk? Is 3 enough for say a palm with rootball that filled 24inch box?

Or do you run circles of 1/2” with emitters coming directly from the line?

do you make a basin to contain the water? I’ve got one palm on a small hillside, do you install one or two drips uphill?

I’ve found 1/4, 1/2, and 1 gallon per hour emitters. Are they usually pretty accurate? Do you prefer one gauge at a particular number of hours each week? My site is a large raised garden with fast-draining soil

I’m also growing P. roebelenii, Butia odorata, and Chamerops humilis. I’m not so worried about those but wanted an idea how minimal water I can keep them from folks in SoCal 

ive attached some lame photos I patched together on my iPad for reference! ;-)

Please let me know about other threads that may answer my questions  I’ve read enough to be very confused and overwhelmed with options

thanks in advance!

trey

ps: I’ve seen the beautiful Rhopalostylis all over Balboa Park in San Diego - how much annual water do you think those receive?

7B1E293F-5F5F-4BAF-91D3-F365A2C592A2.jpeg

610AC577-0D97-4672-99E5-B75179A0004C.jpeg

Lots of good questions here. Many of the same I’ve got as well. The house I’m in has a system installed so just trying to figure out how to harness it. I’ve got similar palms planted and they all seem to love water... damn it. Haha 

• Like 1

I run 1/2 poly main line then run a circle of 1/4 drip line around the estimated root area of the palm.  Like #3 but using 1/4 dripline.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

On 4/13/2021 at 6:25 PM, Allen said:

run 1/2 poly main line then run a circle of 1/4 drip line around the estimated root area of the palm.  Like #3 but using 1/4 dripline.  

Is the 1/4 dripline the kind that is pre-perforated with holes (see #1 below)? I’ve tried a soaker hose in a similar layout but it has continually clogged (see #2 below) and is inconsistent if ground isn’t level. Thanks!

9471B979-55EF-41D4-9699-547C805AD8BE.jpeg

It's been almost five years since I started my drip irrigation and it is still doing well. I had to ask some others for help too, so I'm happy to help the next person.

You can spend days reading online, but I will try to give you the basic set up I used. Obviously, there may be other ways, but this one worked for me.

The main line for the irrigation (3/4") connects to the sprinkler valve and timer for each watering zone. After each valve, I installed a pressure regulator for each to drop the water pressure to 30psi. This is necessary as drip is low pressure and you don't want to blow all the spaghetti tubing and emitters when the system turns on. From there you can use either 1/2" or 3/4" PVC, but 3/4" will give you more flow, which means more emitters can be added to the system. The PVC runs underground, along the perimeter of the hardscaping/planting, to the areas that needed drip. Along the way, I installed 3/4" x 1/2" x 3/4" T's and 1/2" risers (just like a sprinkler system) in each area that needed emitters. At the top of each riser is a 1/2" threaded elbow. All the items above can be found at any hardware store.

The remaining items are likely found online or at an irrigation store (I used Ewing!). Each threaded PVC elbow connects to a 1/2" to barb adapter. Slide the 1/2" drip tubing onto barb adapter and run along the garden bed. Since the tubing is flexible, you can curve it around where you need, but I preferred to add elbows and T's to keep the drip line running straight. Also, I generally tried to make the drip line into a closed loop (sometimes with multiple PVC risers feeding into the drip tubing to keep the pressure equal along the whole line (i.e. I would imagine if you ran a 100ft long drip tubing and the water entered at the beginning of the tubing that the pressure would be great along the beginning, moderate in the middle, and lowest at the 100ft mark. This may not be true, as the line probably fills with water rather quickly and remains constant, but I thought it best to run the underground PVC all the way to the end of the 100ft mark and have three risers with three inputs at the 0, 50, and 100ft mark. This may have been overkill.)

I don't know if it really was necessary, but for each section of drip tubing, I inserted one more 1/2" barb to adapter and capped the 1/2" thread with a 1/2" PVC cap. The idea was to flush out the drip lines before I added spaghetti tubing and emitters, which would get clogged by dirt in the underground PVC pipes. I assumed I would then annually flush the lines, but I never did this. I haven't had issues with clogged emitters.

Phew.... now is the fun part! At every planting, I would puncture the 1/2" drip tubing with an emitter punch tool, insert the 1/4" barbed connector to connect the 1/4" spaghetti tubing to the 1/2" drip tubing, then cut the tubing an inch from the plant and add the emitter of my choice (1/2 gallon up to 2 gallon per hour). I used a drip stake next to the plant to keep the emitter where I wanted it.

Here's some photos when I initially installed the drip system: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/49873-the-state-paid-me-to-plant-a-palm-garden/

Edited by msporty
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thallo said:

Is the 1/4 dripline the kind that is pre-perforated with holes (see #1 below)? I’ve tried a soaker hose in a similar layout but it has continually clogged (see #2 below) and is inconsistent if ground isn’t level. Thanks!

It's easier to use the 1/4" spaghetti tubing that has no emitters in it. I did buy #1 too, but I only used in our veggie bed.

• Upvote 1

I would recommend planting in depressions or swales to help direct the water to your plant of choice. If you have a bit of soil undulation in your landscape and lets say your palm is at the bottom of a slope I make the swale flare out a bit up slope a bit to capture the runoff rain from the slope. I then mulch the swale with organics of all sorts to soak up and provide a bit of protection to the soil underneath and regularly add more when the organics break down.

Admittedly I'm in a different part of the world to Northern California and we are wetter with around 900mm of rain annually. My soil is a clay peat mix which is slowly being upgraded with organics (so I'm not on beach sand).

I've used these.

I use the ones on a stake and connect them to a 4mm wide tube which connects into LDPE piping that I have running through my property. I use one or two spectrums per plant. I've literally got hundreds of them in the landscape.

I also have flush points to open up the distributor pipes to clear any debris that may build up in the pipes. My water supply is from a well in the ground. I pump the water into a settlement tank then pump to my landscape from the tank. I pump into main distributor pipes of 50mm ( 2 inch) diameter and then via valves I can switch zones manually to run smaller distributor LDPE pipes.

For thirstier plants that I want to water more than a spectrum will put out (ie Ravenea rivularis, Rhopalostylis etc) I use these. 

https://nutrienwaterstore.com.au/micro-irrigation/pot-jet-3-outlet-spray-stake/

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I run 1/2 inch poly pipe to each palm and put in one or two (or more on big palms) little spray head of either 90*, 180* or 360* depending on size of palm.

Beccariophoenix madagascariensis-20201205_103037.jpg

• Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

18 hours ago, thallo said:

Yes that's what I use

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

3 hours ago, Allen said:

Yes that's what I use

pic.jpg

• Upvote 1

For larger plants you might consider these;

Rainbird VXB-360-SPYK.

I ended up converting the fixed drip emitters to these adjustable ones. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2021 at 7:21 PM, msporty said:

every planting, I would puncture the 1/2" drip tubing with an emitter punch tool, insert the 1/4" barbed connector to connect the 1/4" spaghetti tubing to the 1/2" drip tubing, then cut the tubing an inch from the plant and add the emitter of my choice (1/2 gallon up to 2 gallon per hour). I used a drip stake next to the plant to keep the emitter where I wanted it.

Great info and thanks for sharing your link! How much are you watering your Madagascan palms each week? 

19 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

run 1/2 inch poly pipe to each palm and put in one or two (or more on big palms) little spray head of either 90*, 180* or 360* depending on size of palm.

Do the sprayers have a gph limit or are they adjustable flow?

2 minutes ago, thallo said:

Do the sprayers have a gph limit or are they adjustable flow?

Not these.  El Cheapos from Amazon.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

42 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Not these.  El Cheapos from Amazon.

I really have no idea how much water is going out.  LOL  I just set the time.  Most get about 35 min twice a week.   Total water bill is about $70 a month including house.  Just me and the wife. Also NO LAWN anywhere on the two acres.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae