IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Did I over pot?

Philly J

My S.Romanzoffiana is shooting that new spear like crazy, her roots were ridiculous out the bottom AND the top, and she couldn’t stay upright in the wind.  I know eventually they like big boy pots, but did I do it too early? @Pal Meir and @PalmatierMeg should I go smaller?  My mix is very very free flowing especially with the bottom leca layer, and the terracotta is evaporating some, but i just hope there is enough air getting in there.

5D41FC6C-FC76-4CD5-9A3B-7634432A5BA8.jpeg

• Like 1

That actually looks perfect.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Looks great! What plant is in the background?

My triple Adonidia Merrillii :wub:

46D393E3-40FD-4C8B-BD0D-549F6CDD1B11.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philly J said:

My triple Adonidia Merrillii :wub:

46D393E3-40FD-4C8B-BD0D-549F6CDD1B11.jpeg

I need to get some of those. They are very cheap here, but they are not nearly in as good shape as yours. So I will try and baby a couple and hopefully they look great by summer.

• Like 1

I can't contribute much, but mine is about half as tall as yours. I plopped mine on the stairs to my apartment (my neighbor didn't mind) and she's loving the full sun and 85°F temps we're getting in the daytime here. She's still barely pushing her first pinnate frond, but her base is getting fat and she's getting heavy in her pot (which I hope means she's pushing crazy roots) 

I still have bamboo stakes in her pot since she was wobbling in the wind, but she's been getting lots of water and fertilizer for the past month or so. 

Message_1618184319146.jpg

• Upvote 1

i think that you could use a pot twice as big or twice as small and still have a good looking palm as long as you balanced your watering/fertilizing to the pot size and soil mix.

Finding that balance often just comes with time/experience. 

But that pot looks good to me and judging from the look of it and the Adonidia you should not have a problem.

• Like 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

20 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

i think that you could use a pot twice as big or twice as small and still have a good looking palm as long as you balanced your watering/fertilizing to the pot size and soil mix.

But that pot looks good to me and judging from the look of it and the Adonidia you should not have a problem.

Thanks!  Im guessing that without the terracotta helping to dry it out I would be in more of a problem.

10 hours ago, Philly J said:
11 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Thanks!  Im guessing that without the terracotta helping to dry it out I would be in more of a problem.

It looks great, streched, but great. I totally agree with Steve.

5 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I would leave it. It’s just stretching for light 

@Philly J...it's also about time to get yourself a large skyroof:D

Greetings, Luís

2 hours ago, lzorrito said:

It looks great, streched, but great. I totally agree with Steve.

@Philly J...it's also about time to get yourself a large skyroof:D

Luckily in the other room is my vaulted ceiling, and when they get too big and my wife hates them (she says small palms are fine but she hates my beasts!), I am able to move them to the two storey, four open sided atrium outside my office door woo hoo!  The city landscapers keep tropicals in planters there, and I can just bump up my potted palms next to them, no one minds.  It’s so convenient because here the weather is so bad I can’t get them outside till May and then have to bring back in the middle of September.

7 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I would leave it. It’s just stretching for light 

That’s what I thought too.  It’s actually still really short if you go crown height, probably 4 feet max, and that’s why I am hoping this new massive giant terracotta pot won’t drown it.  I have a question for you guys though about transplant shock - is there a chance it didn’t go through it at all?  I repotted on Friday, and there is already an inch of spear push, I marked it. :o

1 minute ago, Philly J said:

That’s what I thought too.  It’s actually still really short if you go crown height, probably 4 feet max, and that’s why I am hoping this new massive giant terracotta pot won’t drown it.  I have a question for you guys though about transplant shock - is there a chance it didn’t go through it at all?  I repotted on Friday, and there is already an inch of spear push, I marked it. :o

Never had issues when repotting these, by the contrary.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

Just now, lzorrito said:

Never had issues when repotting these, by the contrary.

Fantastic thank you!