IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arizona's answer to Florida's silver trumpet tree

aztropic

In Arizona,the native palo verde tree puts on a spectacular display of yellow flowers every spring. Can be breathtaking to see some of them in person. It's green bark also aids in photosynthesis.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210410_150755421.jpg

IMG_20210410_150744830.jpg

• Like 8

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Those are sights to see in person.  We have those here in the RGV as well.  We also have the sweet acacia, although not as showy as the palo verde they make up for it with the sweet smell.

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Those are sites to see in person.  We have those here in the RGV as well.  We also have the sweet acacia, although not as showy as the palo verde they make up for it with the sweet smell.

You see both planted everywhere here. Sweet Acacia planted directly across the street finish up just as the P.V.s start flowering.  Agree the smell of the Acacia is nice wafting into the house in the evening when the windows are open. There's another form that flowers earlier than others.. Often starting in January, finishing up as the standard form flowers.  Stays much smaller /denser as well.

A few of the many flowering P.V.s in the neighborhood on this side of town, and they're just getting started:
DSC01779.JPG.7e49dfe9bc2af314a4c854351d0a4a1c.JPG

DSC01780.JPG.d773d5ba9672e07bcd2e6750796a6c76.JPG

• Like 7

Another pop of mid-spring color for the desert, though you don't see these planted quite as much as Palo Verde and Mesquite. Some of the bigger Bauhinia variegata i've come across in east Chandler, near downtown.  Yea they're seedy compared to Hong Kongs, and can look a bit frazzled by the time it starts to cool off in October, but can't beat that pop of White and hot Pink compared to the usual Yellow.  Should be used more in commercial landscapes in town.

There are a few B. variegata in a yard around the corner from me but they're kept smaller, roughly no taller the roof gutter, but look quite nice at that size.
DSC01795.thumb.JPG.912071364f6ae61c4ca3f6922bc878df.JPG

DSC01796.JPG.4f115857f277d0590fbb7e04ff9377c3.JPG

DSC01797.thumb.JPG.b49f727334d6f0ad6429a0988120e7be.JPG

DSC01798.JPG.ccb212a6c2b34bef78138acf73f26014.JPG

In an area they all can be grown, can picture a large landscape design incorporating these, Yellow and Pink Tabebuia, certain Palo Verde ( those that are flowery, but won't get too big ), Jacaranda, and Royal Poinciana for quite a spring show. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I've got two Palo Verde planted here in my yard.  First one I planted grew to about 12' but it has not come back yet from the freeze event and don't think it is going to.  Not a trace of green on it.  But a smaller one I grew from seed that is only about 4' tall is doing just fine.  Not really sure why that is.  There's plenty of them growing wild around here and seems like our color show is going to be delayed this year.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder