Sign in to follow this  
Fallen Munk

Getting ready to germinate Parajubaea torallyi microcarpa seeds

Fallen Munk

By far the most difficult seeds I've ever had to clean.  Germinating tips welcomed!

seeds4.jpg

• Like 1

Fallen Munk

They have faces.  Each seed can have up to three embryos.  I've read that in Bolivia, they clean these by feeding them to livestock and pick them out of the manure.

172217881_140374478036492_1800292040138886500_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=2l1ngS3itN4AX_IRlEU&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=7&oh=41ba1ab2de98061f1b0bd5fc5b357eed&oe=609A6B28

RJ

The stomach acids may aid in germinating... lessons can be learned from this 

• Like 2

Fallen Munk
37 minutes ago, RJ said:

The stomach acids may aid in germinating... lessons can be learned from this 

I put them in acid with sand and gravel inside a rock tumbler and it still took a week.

RJ
11 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I put them in acid with sand and gravel inside a rock tumbler and it still took a week.

Whoa... what acid did you use? Perhaps you can hit them with a file? Sometimes I've had to do that with tree seeds that are stubborn,....

Fallen Munk
1 hour ago, RJ said:

Whoa... what acid did you use? Perhaps you can hit them with a file? Sometimes I've had to do that with tree seeds that are stubborn,....

Sulfuric acid.  It was the only way to get all of the fruit off.  It's very fibrous and adheres tightly to the seed.  Possibly with enough time it would rot off.  I hear that some people bag them up with banana peels to speed up the process but I think no matter what there would be some fruit dried to the seed that would mold as soon as you tried to geminate them.

I used a hammer to beat the fruit to a pulp, peeled off what I could, then put them in the tumbler with gravel and sand for three days and that didn't do much so I added the acid and it still took about four more days.  They are super clean now.  I'm drying them for a few days to simulate what might happen after they drop from an animal and then I'll soak for a day and pot them up.  No need for the file on these, the gravel and sand did a great job roughing them up.

• Like 1

Fallen Munk

First signs of germination for a few of the seeds today.  About 6 1/2 months.  Not too bad by what I've researched.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jesse PNW

What method did you use?

Fallen Munk
57 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

What method did you use?

I put them in a reptile incubator with day/night temperature cycle.

Fallen Munk

Slowly pushing roots.  Keeping them between 50F and 60F for the most part.  The majority of the germination was 70F night, 85F day.  A half dozen seeds rotted so I pulled the whole container out of the incubator and just sat them in an unheated room in my basement.  They started germinating within a week of cooler temperatures.  Opposite of what I have read.

torallyi.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott W
5 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

They started germinating within a week of cooler temperatures.  Opposite of what I have read.

torallyi.jpg

Interesting indeed.

• Like 1