IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rot on my Bismarckia spear (Pics)

Palmfarmer

Hey Today I was watering my palm and I noticed the bismarck had allready started opening up the spear i saw like a week ago. On further inspection he frond was barely holding on to the petiole. I Tried to see if the spear would pull but i only pulled apart the petiole from the frond that was halfway roten of anyways. Went to get some Peroxide and dumped a bunch in there. Should I be fine? Palm seems good otherwise and is moving/growing. 

170823435_1407945786210198_8633846106761452855_n.jpg

168396918_3881687115255458_6379715770293793041_n.jpg

169848277_222239866356274_2707465721838740187_n.jpg

Same thing happened with two of my Queens, strange indeed. They should grow out of it though, unhappy looking fronds but as long as they live we'll be fine.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 minute ago, JLM said:

Same thing happened with two of my Queens, strange indeed. They should grow out of it though, unhappy looking fronds but as long as they live we'll be fine.

Great news, Maybe its winter damage?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Great news, Maybe its winter damage?

Not sure if its winter damage or something else, but they are still growing. Although the 3 severe storms we had here overnight did not help things at all. I found more leaflets hanging out and the whole top part of a spear hanging, still attached but hanging out.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

fungus attack, wet and cool weather.  You arent watering the crown I hope.  Overhead water into the crown in cool weather is a problem for these palms.  thespear looks fine under the rotted spot.   I would use a little fungicide.  Bismarckia should not be planted in wet spots or close to water loving plants that you frequently water.  Companion plants should be low water plants like agave.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

10 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

fungus attack, wet and cool weather.  You arent watering the crown I hope.  Overhead water into the crown in cool weather is a problem for these palms.  thespear looks fine under the rotted spot.   I would use a little fungicide.  Bismarckia should not be planted in wet spots or close to water loving plants that you frequently water.  Companion plants should be low water plants like agave.

Never water the crown and i think i watered 2-3 times in the winter. must have been from winter... it rained a bit one evening i remember like very little, then followed a -3 dip in the middle of the night.  I did protect it with a trashcan on the worst nights a few days later, but i figure it dried in the days between. So it is probably either one of those events that did it. 

I Soaked the area and crown with Peroxide yesterday. Currently the wheater is more or less a constant 32c/10c with low humidity. 

What is the likelyhood of recovery you think? and also does Bismarcks usually survive spear pull if it is not that unhealthy?

Edited by Palmfarmer

18 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Never water the crown and i think i watered 2-3 times in the winter. must have been from winter... it rained a bit one evening i remember like very little, then followed a -3 dip in the middle of the night.  I did protect it with a trashcan on the worst nights a few days later, but i figure it dried in the days between. So it is probably either one of those events that did it. 

I Soaked the area and crown with Peroxide yesterday. Currently the wheater is more or less a constant 32c/10c with low humidity. 

What is the likelyhood of recovery you think? and also does Bismarcks usually survive spear pull if it is not that unhealthy?

I would say it will undoubtedly recover if cared for.  that was a minor fungal event.  That fungus never got down into the grow point, so it will be fine.  Water it more frequently when warm and and let the sun do its part.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 minute ago, sonoranfans said:

I would say it will undoubtedly recover if cared for.  that was a minor fungal event.  That fungus never got down into the grow point, so it will be fine.  Water it more frequently when warm and and let the sun do its part.

great news, Its allmost summer here. A good constant 30c more or less here so the wheater is great and things are growing. I lost 0 palms despite a very hard winter for this area.