IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy or Needle?

GregVirginia7

Just arrived...is this a Trachy or a Needle? The leaf says it’s a Needle but maybe immature Trachy’s have leaf segments with 3 folds as opposed to one down the middle of the segment? There are also no needles on the trunk...just wondering since it’s supposed to be a Trachy but the leaf segments are not like my more mature Trachy...any help greatly appreciated...image.thumb.jpg.3fb6a6f434701dc964372b32175aa8bb.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5ff1d1d315884091dea96572bd9729a3.jpg

Yes...I’ve noticed, immature segments on immature palms, at least the ones I grow here, have that accordion look till they mature a bit...when it arrived I compared it to my mature Needle and the leaf segment on the newest leaf seems to be an exact match...if it is a Needle, that’s fine...the two I have are excellent for my zone...but I ordered the Trachy to hopefully produce some fertile seed at some point in the future...my mature Trachy is pushing out seed stems like crazy. But then again, you have to order the right sex and I don’t know if my mature Trachy is male or female...I’ve read male and female flowers are slightly different in color but when I compared my mature Trachy’s flowers to internet images I really couldn’t identify what mine were...anyway, will let nature take its course I guess.

Trachy

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 minute ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Yes...I’ve noticed, immature segments on immature palms, at least the ones I grow here, have that accordion look till they mature a bit...when it arrived I compared it to my mature Needle and the leaf segment on the newest leaf seems to be an exact match...if it is a Needle, that’s fine...the two I have are excellent for my zone...but I ordered the Trachy to hopefully produce some fertile seed at some point in the future...my mature Trachy is pushing out seed stems like crazy. But then again, you have to order the right sex and I don’t know if my mature Trachy is male or female...I’ve read male and female flowers are slightly different in color but when I compared my mature Trachy’s flowers to internet images I really couldn’t identify what mine were...anyway, will let nature take its course I guess.

Are palms single sex?
Or do they produce both male and female flowers on the same plant, but not at the same time?

1 hour ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Are palms single sex?
Or do they produce both male and female flowers on the same plant, but not at the same time?

Some palms are single sex.  Some examples are Phoenix, Trachycarpus, Chamaedorea, Bismarckia.  Washingtonia, Syagrus, Butia and most others produce both male and female flowers.

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

Trachy, I have one that looks exactly like that, Let me guess..Pineapple Dan? lol

tree.JPG