Sign in to follow this  
GregVirginia7

Trachy or Needle?

GregVirginia7

Just arrived...is this a Trachy or a Needle? The leaf says it’s a Needle but maybe immature Trachy’s have leaf segments with 3 folds as opposed to one down the middle of the segment? There are also no needles on the trunk...just wondering since it’s supposed to be a Trachy but the leaf segments are not like my more mature Trachy...any help greatly appreciated...image.thumb.jpg.3fb6a6f434701dc964372b32175aa8bb.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5ff1d1d315884091dea96572bd9729a3.jpg

GregVirginia7

Yes...I’ve noticed, immature segments on immature palms, at least the ones I grow here, have that accordion look till they mature a bit...when it arrived I compared it to my mature Needle and the leaf segment on the newest leaf seems to be an exact match...if it is a Needle, that’s fine...the two I have are excellent for my zone...but I ordered the Trachy to hopefully produce some fertile seed at some point in the future...my mature Trachy is pushing out seed stems like crazy. But then again, you have to order the right sex and I don’t know if my mature Trachy is male or female...I’ve read male and female flowers are slightly different in color but when I compared my mature Trachy’s flowers to internet images I really couldn’t identify what mine were...anyway, will let nature take its course I guess.

Allen

Trachy

GregVirginia7
1 minute ago, Allen said:

Trachy

Good!

PricklyPearSATC
1 minute ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Yes...I’ve noticed, immature segments on immature palms, at least the ones I grow here, have that accordion look till they mature a bit...when it arrived I compared it to my mature Needle and the leaf segment on the newest leaf seems to be an exact match...if it is a Needle, that’s fine...the two I have are excellent for my zone...but I ordered the Trachy to hopefully produce some fertile seed at some point in the future...my mature Trachy is pushing out seed stems like crazy. But then again, you have to order the right sex and I don’t know if my mature Trachy is male or female...I’ve read male and female flowers are slightly different in color but when I compared my mature Trachy’s flowers to internet images I really couldn’t identify what mine were...anyway, will let nature take its course I guess.

Are palms single sex?
Or do they produce both male and female flowers on the same plant, but not at the same time?

Fusca
1 hour ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Are palms single sex?
Or do they produce both male and female flowers on the same plant, but not at the same time?

Some palms are single sex.  Some examples are Phoenix, Trachycarpus, Chamaedorea, Bismarckia.  Washingtonia, Syagrus, Butia and most others produce both male and female flowers.

• Like 3

Palmlover_78

Trachy, I have one that looks exactly like that, Let me guess..Pineapple Dan? lol

tree.JPG

Philly J

Looks like my juvie Trachy folds too! 

8C432B05-2577-4614-8BC1-311BAA648DF8.jpeg