smatofu

20-ft Sabal Palmetto with spear pull - chances of survival

smatofu

Hello,

20-ft Sabal Palmetto with a spear pull in DFW, TX. Thriving and fast growing before the freeze. Treated regularly with copper.

Are there any chances of survival? What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance!

S.

Edited by smatofu

Collectorpalms

I had spear pull on my largest Sabal Uresana. I trunk cut it a few days ago and a new spear is starting to push. So it is at least possible in large Sabals to get spear pull and recover from cold damage. I used hydrogen peroxide for the hole. I don’t think it would have had as an easy chance of recovery with that huge dead spear in it’s way. It’s much more massive than a Sabal Palmetto, It looked good for a long time, but I noticed it was not making any progress and looking grimmer. Therefore I kept after it until I final got a spear pull. I was devastated, but big sigh of relief now!

Two smaller Sabal Uresana. One is ok, the other not ok. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

smatofu

[ It looked good for a long time, but I noticed it was not making any progress and looking grimmer. Therefore I kept after it until I final got a spear pull. I was devastated]

Exactly the same experience as mine.  The remnant of the spear I cut 2 months ago was moist until about 2 weeks ago, then completely dried.  No insect activity, no smell.  Yesterday I noticed  foul smell and more insects. Perhaps a few recent warm days accelerated the rot. 

I received my Python 27 copper which is supposed be systemic. I don't know much about it but it is supposed to be safer and absorbed by the plant. It treated the spear hole with a mixture of Python and a little bit of neem oil and insecticide. Insects activity has stopped completely.

smatofu

Another thing I noticed (maybe some scientists will use this for research :) )

The top half of the spear I pulled was light brown; the bottom half was white. The white part quickly became brown as it was exposed to air and disintegrated a few hours later That would indicate that the meristem had no contact with air and it was sterile .  The tissue around the meristem was damaged by freeze but it was not infected by bacteria yet.  

Also, my previous copper treatments had no chances to get anywhere close the meristem - I don't know if it is good or bad.

Edited by smatofu

PalmatierMeg

Photos will show the issue best.

• Like 1

smatofu

Liquid at the bottom is copper solution.

Spear ends were white when pulled (if it has any importance). 

Cut fronds left in the crown have solid connections with the trunk. 

20210410_172237 - Copy.jpg

20210410_172141 - Copy.jpg

20210410_172156 - Copy.jpg

20210410_173745 - Copy.jpg

Edited by smatofu

smatofu

d

Edited by smatofu

Collectorpalms

Sabal Uresana, last picture from today you can see new spear. Grew about an inch a day after cutting it. It felt like mutilation. There is a nest of Doves in  that front trashed limp Canary so I haven’t pruned it, but I can see green coming out.

5713C4C8-B474-4EF5-86E8-04CD21113CE8.jpeg

A9969725-E314-4741-B745-04EE61A87708.jpeg

B713175D-39C7-4953-9C3B-1608162F6EF4.jpeg

51EC289D-AA2A-422F-A4AA-6DAE0DACE300.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Collectorpalms

I did this on a 6ft Washingtonia ( leans

filifera )but over shaded,  and I think I started to see life in it today after over a week. But I kept applying the hydrogen peroxide.

Edited by Collectorpalms

smatofu

Any comments to photos attached above from experts, please?

It may be useful to other people with similar cases.

Thank you,

S.

Original photos