IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Roystonea Regia in the tropics at 2400 m of elevation, will it survive?

EmZ

Hey! I just got a young roystonea Regia given that it’s the warmest season of the year here in Mexico City, but I feel insecure about the future of it. I just planted it in a larger pot, and know of a few roystoneas around my area that manage to survive, but it seems like they all got here as adults. Our summers are rainy with highs between 25 and 27 Celsius and lows between 12 and 15 Celsius, with our hottest season being right now (March - June) with highs between 27-32°C and lows between 12-15°C & our coldest season with highs between 18-25°C - lows between 4°C - 9°C, rarely below 5°C. 
 What do you think? 
here’s the plant & some of the roystoneas I’ve found in the city, most of them look extremely ignored and not taken care of, sadly. 
4-BD87-D65-66-A2-4-C3-C-978-F-0945516936

4020-A09-A-35-CA-42-C6-9-FD4-2-CA10-F80-

the others around, starting by the closest ones to me: 

48-D17-DE5-4484-45-F9-AC7-D-E2-D1441-F5-

0406-A12-C-C9-AC-40-C0-A56-C-40-C8-CA5-E

0-AE77172-6-A64-4-CAF-9-E6-B-3798-B017-F

40-A7-CE0-C-1-BF2-4095-AFF0-3-DD93-EEBF1

:)

• Like 3

Those big Roystonea look good to me, especially considering the tiny plots of earth that several of them grow in.  I think your Roystonea should be fine, as long as it has a big enough pot, and adequate water.  Great that you just repotted it into a larger pot.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

I’m pretty certain it will be fine. Give it plenty of water and nutrient and stand back and watch it explode with growth. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It will be totally fine. there is some here in Durango at 1884 meters elevation but we are a lot further north. I do know the history of 2 of the Royals in town. They got planted out around 2-3 meter tall, but thin as pencils, then they fattened up for some years before growing more upwards. I have seen photos of Christmas palms even in CDMX.