IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

P. Roebelenii surgery

JohnAndSancho

Granted, my work area is a LOT less than ideal. Anyway, i brought the roebelenii home from my office to split it up, and good lord this is tedious. If one of these green jerks die, I'm gonna be frustrated - before I remember I'm only out $10 and ummmm I think I'm about 2 hours into this now. 

Good times 

20210410_001521.jpg

20210409_230742.jpg

Message_1614879098078.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not even close to getting these separated, and all I can think is "why would anyone ever want to do this for a living to sell bare root plants?" 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, amh said:

White Zombie?

:shaka-2::shaka-2::shaka-2: yessir 

• Upvote 1

I gave up. Literally 6 hours of untangling and pulling and stabbing my arms (i had on gloves) was too much. Threw it in a 3 gallon pot with cheap potting soil, fertilized it, topped it with LECA and watered it with Superthrive. It can just go back to the corner of my office on top of the mini fridge. 

Message_1618168800681.jpg

I split my clump of 4 and now 2 are dead and the third one is on its death bed....
Extremely frustrated, the largest one is the only one that has stayed somewhat green and pushing out new growth slowly. Im likely going to get another clump and not even worry about seperating, ive got a nice spot now to plant them since the neighbor extended his fence forward and gave me a nice lookin corner that has a dip, which fills up with water. They should love it there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Did another surgery earlier, basically experimenting at this point. If it survives then yay but if it dies then i know to never do it again. I cut off the top of the one on its death bed all the way until i saw no more black, put something over it to keep dry. We'll see how it goes, but again basically just experimenting at this point. Pulled apart the part that got cut off to inspect the issue, and it was soft and black, it stuck to my flashlight so it was sticky too. Not sure if its a type of rot or not, didnt smell anything so i assume not.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

9 hours ago, JLM said:

I split my clump of 4 and now 2 are dead and the third one is on its death bed....
Extremely frustrated, the largest one is the only one that has stayed somewhat green and pushing out new growth slowly. Im likely going to get another clump and not even worry about seperating, ive got a nice spot now to plant them since the neighbor extended his fence forward and gave me a nice lookin corner that has a dip, which fills up with water. They should love it there.

How big was your clump? This one was a super root bound 2 or 3 gallon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

How big was your clump? This one was a super root bound 2 or 3 gallon. 

My clump was a 2.25g that i planted in May 2020, it took off like a rocket. The largest one has just less than a foot of unexposed trunk, the smallest one which just died was a baby and was basically the "runt" of the clump.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:29 AM, PricklyPearSATC said:

They deserve surgery for being oversold!!!

Right?! I did surgery on the trio that was planted in front of my house by the former owners... And by surgery, I mean "Off with their heads!! (and trunks, then doused with Roundup)" :lol: The base of the stems and roots are impossible to get out. Even with my moderate chain saw. I'm waiting for them to decay but it's taking FOREVER.

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

3 minutes ago, Missi said:

Right?! I did surgery on the trio that was planted in front of my house by the former owners... And by surgery, I mean "Off with their heads!! (and trunks, then doused with Roundup)" :lol: The base of the stems and roots are impossible to get out. Even with my moderate chain saw. I'm waiting for them to decay but it's taking FOREVER.

Thats a staight up murder story :mellow:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fusca said:

Best not to mess with @Missi!  :D

Yeah probably not, we'll hear "Off with their heads!!" and next thing you know......

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, JLM said:

Thats a staight up murder story :mellow:

Not when you live in South Florida. They're about as respected as queen palms :sick: Actually, I even feel tacky having a Phoenix canariensis growing in my front yard, but I grew it from a seed collected at my mom's apartment complex, so I feel guilty every time I consider taking the chainsaw to it. Actually, when it was smaller...I ran it over with the mower twice and it grew back! It just wants to live!

38 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Best not to mess with @Missi!  :D

37 minutes ago, JLM said:

Yeah probably not, we'll hear "Off with their heads!!" and next thing you know......

:innocent:^_^:floor2::floor2::floor2:

• Like 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

18 minutes ago, Missi said:

Not when you live in South Florida. They're about as respected as queen palms :sick: Actually, I even feel tacky having a Phoenix canariensis growing in my front yard, but I grew it from a seed collected at my mom's apartment complex, so I feel guilty every time I consider taking the chainsaw to it. Actually, when it was smaller...I ran it over with the mower twice and it grew back! It just wants to live!

It's determined, but surprised it didnt slow down when it saw you murder your other phoenix palms! But dont worry, ive almost ran over my sabal palmetto already 2 times this spring.

• Like 1

Found that slug on the palm today, poured salt and the little sucker.

14 minutes ago, JLM said:

Found that slug on the palm today, poured salt and the little sucker.

My grandparents used to put a cup of beer out for slugs and snails, until they realized it also attracted yellow jackets. 

Unrelated - but I grew up in Pensacola. Haven't been there since Hurricane Ivan flattened the trailer I was living in. 

I just noticed your location, I'm usually logged in on my phone. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My grandparents used to put a cup of beer out for slugs and snails, until they realized it also attracted yellow jackets. 

Unrelated - but I grew up in Pensacola. Haven't been there since Hurricane Ivan flattened the trailer I was living in. 

I just noticed your location, I'm usually logged in on my phone. 

Nice! We moved down here in 2017 from Tennessee. Have you heard about what happened with the Pensacola Bay Bridge during Hurricane Sally? Yeah, we have our own inside joke now lol
Two words, "Skanska Barge"

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JLM said:

Nice! We moved down here in 2017 from Tennessee. Have you heard about what happened with the Pensacola Bay Bridge during Hurricane Sally? Yeah, we have our own inside joke now lol
Two words, "Skanska Barge"

Oh yeah. And when I saw the floods downtown a while back, I was like "Oh, I got kicked out of that bar and had a great time at THAT bar after..." And when Scenic Highway was crumbling and falling into Escambia Bay, it took me back to a car crash on that road... Got a huge scar on my face from that lol. Pensacola is always in my blood. 

She's turning white. I've been misting it a lot with tap water, and the root ball got pretty heavily handled when I tried to split them up. Is this normal or salvageable? Using tap water to mist but watering with bottled. 

Message_1618607475974.jpg

Message_1618607456197.jpg

Bump again. I've seen palms turn black, I've seen palms turn brown, I've seen palms turn yellow. I've never seen one turn white. *shrugs*

Figured out the white crap is normal for these, it keeps new fronds together. Now it's looking all sad and droopy and I'm hoping I don't end up getting it into the dumpster. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Figured out the white crap is normal for these, it keeps new fronds together. Now it's looking all sad and droopy and I'm hoping I don't end up getting it into the dumpster. 

Yes I have them on all of my Robilinis also

• Upvote 1

Ive never, ever seen white on any of mine until i got another clump the other day. Picked out the best looking one which just so happened to be the one with the most palms in it. I estimate 10+ palms in there, still some seedlings in there that havent began producing mature fronds yet too. 
The palm i did the surgery on, well i performed another today to cut a little lower since the slugs decided to eat it. I have also dug it up and potted it again, lots of roots still living so i do have some hope still. Will be sitting it out in the sun and keeping it watered well over the next few weeks, hopefully im not wasting my time with it!

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:23 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

John I feel you brother I lost the last of the dypsis trunks I pulled two months ago :(

1 hour ago, Philly J said:

John I feel you brother I lost the last of the dypsis trunks I pulled two months ago :(

Yours were nice, too. Makes me real hesitant to split up my new Kentias.

drevil40.png

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

RIP. Yeeted it into the dumpster today. It looked terrible and my office has way too many gnats and flies buzzing around now. 

3 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

RIP. Yeeted it into the dumpster today. It looked terrible and my office has way too many gnats and flies buzzing around now. 

Sad to hear, sorry for your loss. The one i cut died, tossed it. My 10 clump that i split up is doing okay for right now, beginning to notice some yellow/brown tips but otherwise so far they are doing well. Might begin introducing them to a little more light each week as we get into summer to prepare them for planting later on this year. They are currently only getting morning sun, rest of the day is pure shade. Spear marked all of them earlier today so i can keep track of any growth.