IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Guerrilla gardening?

Teegurr

Honestly might be plotting to do this.. what's funny is there's a huge Phoenix Dactylifera by a movie theater on Hilton Head Island near where I am, growing out of the grass next to the curb by the parking lot. I remember seeing it when it was a baby and the only thing I could come up with to explain it was someone eating dates coming out of the movie theater spitting one of the pits out :lol:

4 minutes ago, clinenotklein said:

Honestly might be plotting to do this.. what's funny is there's a huge Phoenix Dactylifera by a movie theater on Hilton Head Island near where I am, growing out of the grass next to the curb by the parking lot. I remember seeing it when it was a baby and the only thing I could come up with to explain it was someone eating dates coming out of the movie theater spitting one of the pits out :lol:

Either that or one of us did the old "hook shot with a handful of date pits" trick on our way out of town.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Either that or one of us did the old "hook shot with a handful of date pits" trick on our way out of town.

Golf trick shot? 

3 minutes ago, clinenotklein said:

Golf trick shot? 

More of a basketball type of hook shot in this case. ;)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

In case anyone wanted to see it, I tried Google Street Mapping it and it worked. Older photo though. 

919326036_ScreenShot2021-10-25at11_04_19AM.thumb.png.3681698198c39bda5ab5e12a31ff7b16.png

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2184024,-80.7045475,3a,43.6y,212.11h,87.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOughEoq7P3RoLIsUQaqtWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

As you can see, guerrilla planting would be quite easy on the island because they treat every palm like it's meant to be there. Free pruning and offshoot control and everything. 

Edited by clinenotklein
  • Like 6

I have definitely guerrilla farmed some Pindo sprouts from the jagged trunks. Also guerrilla farm seeds from parking lots that would otherwise be crushed by cars. I need to start giving back using the guerrilla planting method.  Plenty of Adonida seeds littering the sidewalks in S. Florida right now that need a home!

• Like 2

So how does one Guerrila garden? Do you just take a seed and toss them somewhere and hope it grows and nature takes care of it and doesn't get wacked?

Edited by ZPalms

Gorilla gardening is not just for public lands.  When I had my palm nursery, a customer would periodically show up for some palms.  He stated that he is planting them in a neighboring rental property across the street from him.  He got sick of renters parking in front yard and the overall bad look of the place.  Every time renters would move out, he would plant some more palms.  It stopped the parking in the front yard (no room to park) and made the area look better.  He said no one ever said anything (landlord) and the palms were not removed.  Just something to think about if you have a bad rental property nearby.  Go for it. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ZPalms said:

So how does one Guerrila garden? Do you just take a seed and toss them somewhere and hope it grows and nature takes care of it and doesn't get wacked?

No. You take small plants like you currently have growing in bags and plant them on land that you do not own,in a spot that they would be likely to grow with little or no additional help. Near a stream or spring,or where commercial plantings have failed, but may have irrigation... I have had great success planting 1 gallon size plants in empty parking lot squares.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Yes. I am doing some guerrilla planting in the ditch behind my house. I’m sure it is frowned upon by a lot of people because of possibly introducing invasive species, but this ditch is already full of them so oh well. Yes, you can throw hand fulls of even uncleaned seeds in a moist area here and they will grow. Here are some D. lutescens seeds I threw down there last year. Bonus points for who can ID this little ficus I plucked off the side of a building a few years ago. Citrifolia? By the way, I pretty much take care of this ditch. The HOA cuts the grass between my actual property and the ditch. If I didn’t take care of it, it would be full of invasive vines…

8FCF6EBF-74B5-416F-848C-6D93F884B3D2.jpeg

575BB97C-F5C7-4449-928D-FDB0F2C8BFEF.jpeg

7FEB9BCA-7FB6-4765-AF55-CB3D30D3CC73.jpeg

• Like 4

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I'm thinking that when my hardy Chamaedorea and Sabals reach fruiting age; there will be seeds appearing throughout the area.

I’m hoping to get some viable seeds off my A. cunninghamiana and some will be thrown down there too to see what happens. I could plant a banana plant which I know would take over the world there, but I digress.. 

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

19 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

Yes. I am doing some guerrilla planting in the ditch behind my house. I’m sure it is frowned upon by a lot of people because of possibly introducing invasive species, but this ditch is already full of them so oh well. Yes, you can throw hand fulls of even uncleaned seeds in a moist area here and they will grow. Here are some D. lutescens seeds I threw down there last year. Bonus points for who can ID this little ficus I plucked off the side of a building a few years ago. Citrifolia? By the way, I pretty much take care of this ditch. The HOA cuts the grass between my actual property and the ditch. If I didn’t take care of it, it would be full of invasive vines…

8FCF6EBF-74B5-416F-848C-6D93F884B3D2.jpeg

575BB97C-F5C7-4449-928D-FDB0F2C8BFEF.jpeg

7FEB9BCA-7FB6-4765-AF55-CB3D30D3CC73.jpeg

Ficus microcarpa.  That and the dypsis are both invasive haha

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

2 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Great job done!

What are Phoenix sp. on 35-45sec?

They are from my sylvestris. Not sure if they are all true as  Phoenix cross like crazy.  I need to update this, it's really moved along well since this was taken.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

When driving around last week I spotted an example of guerilla gardening...

A narrow city median, between the main avenue and a side street with houses, was landscaped with typical shrubs and crinum lilies. Randomly placed among the shrubs was a couple of solitary-trimmed Fishtail Palms, Caryota mitis, with their suckers reduced and removed. Further down was a twin pair of Coconut Palms, probably dwarfs, just fitted it between other plants. They were about 3 to 4 ft. (1-1.2m) tall. It looks as if the yards of the houses on the side street were smaller than usual, and the medium provided a spot to plant stuff to look at, without having it in their own yards. Could have been more in there, but I was driving and the road was curved.

Ryan

• Like 2

South Florida

On 4/9/2021 at 8:08 PM, Teegurr said:

I'm strongly considering guerrilla gardening on public land to spread the palm joy (like in a park, or road medians). Is that a bad idea? Has anyone else done this before? If so, share some pictures!

Here's a thread on my ongoing project, I'll get some new pics and update it.

• Like 4