IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Replacement palm ideas

NBTX11

On 4/13/2021 at 1:02 PM, joetx said:

Here in Round Rock Lowe's usually gets a big shipment of palms around springtime. Usually filibustas and windmill. Seems like they got a larger variety (think I saw a bottle palm) this year expecting people will want to replace their trees. I picked up a couple filibustas, may go back and snatch a CIDP.

I lost 2/4 filibustas one was a good 17 feet tall. The other two were small so I managed to save them with Christmas lights/frost cloth. 

Personally, I'm planting more cold hardy palms as a base then going to probably plant some more tender stuff, just to roll the dice! Gotta live a little :D I've lost so much over the years I think I'm numb to it. 

We now have a place in Port Aransas now where I want to really go crazy with the zone 10 stuff.

Do you know if they still have Canaries in Round Rock? :) 

I know this is kind of off topic, but apparently my Lowe's didnt learn from what happened in TX. I can say that this is the first time that ive ever seen foxtails at Lowe's. They had some nice size to them, about ready to start trunking. Feeling bad already for the unsuspecting buyer who plants these and watches them thrive this summer only to dig up dead palms in Spring. Sad reality :(

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

8 minutes ago, JLM said:

I know this is kind of off topic, but apparently my Lowe's didnt learn from what happened in TX. I can say that this is the first time that ive ever seen foxtails at Lowe's. They had some nice size to them, about ready to start trunking. Feeling bad already for the unsuspecting buyer who plants these and watches them thrive this summer only to dig up dead palms in Spring. Sad reality :(

Lowe’s seems to currently have stoped the flow of cold hardy palms going this Far East into Texas. The eastern Half continues to get Florida grown palms. Including bottles and Foxtails, just a couple weeks after the freeze.

Same story with Home Depot. I’d say nearly 99 percent of all inventory they are carrying here are plants that died in the freeze.

Walmart Nearly 80 percent of plants they are stocked with also died in the freeze.

They are saturating our market with fast growing tropics to fill the shelves.

Why let buyers buy them? So they have to buy more. It’s pretty bad ethics, but they have a business to run 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 minute ago, Collectorpalms said:

Lowe’s seems to currently have stoped the flow of cold hardy palms going this Far East into Texas. The eastern Half continues to get a Florida grown palm. 

Same story with Home Depot. I’d say nearly 99 percent of all inventory they are carrying here are plants that died in the freeze.

Walmart Nearly 80 percent of plants died in the freeze.

They are saturating our market with fast growing tropics to fill the shelves.

They must be sending everything over that way then, because all the walmart here had was cats, pygmy dates, and majesties. Home Depot had majesties, pygmy dates, and sagos. Lowe's had the bigest selection with w robusta, windmills, sagos, majesties, pygmy dates, and foxtails. Funny thing is though, i saw 0 queens which is usually what the keep in stock during the warmer months. Maybe they sent all the queens to Texas to trick people again?

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 minute ago, JLM said:

They must be sending everything over that way then, because all the walmart here had was cats, pygmy dates, and majesties. Home Depot had majesties, pygmy dates, and sagos. Lowe's had the bigest selection with w robusta, windmills, sagos, majesties, pygmy dates, and foxtails. Funny thing is though, i saw 0 queens which is usually what the keep in stock during the warmer months. Maybe they sent all the queens to Texas to trick people again?

No Queens at Lowe’s or Home Depot. They had 2 mules per store which sold out overnight.

I am not sure there many live queens except Maybe at Moody Gardens and then there should be most left in the southern half of the Rio Grande Valley. 

I have a 15 gallon Syagrus Litoralis and then I have seeds from my Queen that survived all the previous freezes since 1989.  

The Litoralis is going in the ground.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

4 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

No Queens at Lowe’s or Home Depot. They had 2 mules per store which sold out overnight.

I am not sure there many live queens except Maybe at Moody Gardens and then there should be most left in the southern half of the Rio Grande Valley. 

I have a 15 gallon Syagrus Litoralis and then I have seeds from my Queen that survived all the previous freezes since 1989.  

The Litoralis is going in the ground.

That is odd. In my area both Lowe’s and Home Depot have Queens. Besides, they are full of Pygmy Date Palms.

HD had 5 gallon queens for $19.00 last week.  I just can't see planting something that gets large that isn't cold hardy.  I could see small plants, but landscape fixtures...no..

Queens really don't do well in San Antonio...

And those lame pygmy dates.  Someone on FB tried to tell me pygmy dates were hardy to 9A....

14 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

HD had 5 gallon queens for $19.00 last week.  I just can't see planting something that gets large that isn't cold hardy.  I could see small plants, but landscape fixtures...no..

And those lame pygmy dates.  Someone on FB tried to tell me pygmy dates were hardy to 9A....

Heb has small ones for $20, and I don’t think the rage said what they were or how hardy, and Walmart had a couple 5 gallon queens for $49. The queens were labeled for indoor, but sold in the regular plant section.

The biggest headache for me is my tall Washingtonia hybrids that all appear dead except the 1 that’s under the new power line.

Edited by Collectorpalms

16 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Have you seen any Canaries in San Antonio? 
I had Pygmy Date Palms, they are both dead...not planting them again. I never liked the Queens although my wife kept insisting for them but I never planted any. And considering this freezing event, I won’t be planting in the future either. 
I am going to risk again with Canaries and I have some itches to try also some Bismarckia although they are not hardy but...I will go and sleep with them next time with my blanket to keep them warm if I get also some Bismarckia. :) 

Edited by CiprianS

58 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Have you seen any Canaries in San Antonio? 
I had Pygmy Date Palms, they are both dead...not planting them again. I never liked the Queens although my wife kept insisting for them but I never planted any. And considering this freezing event, I won’t be planting in the future either. 
I am going to risk again with Canaries and I have some itches to try also some Bismarckia although they are not hardy but...I will go and sleep with them next time with my blanket to keep them warm if I get also some Bismarckia. :) 

I have no seen any.  I used to see them all the time.  They are huge palms and I could not quite understand why they were sold everywhere..LOL  (People plant them in all the wrong places..LOL)
I have been looking, but I have no seen any. 

There is one in my neighborhood and I was wondering how old it was.  It must have been planted around 2009 or so.  It's already fairly massive.  Google maps showed it looking like a little Sago Palm in 2011. 

2011.png.41d4c26190766a941240fc2455c51343.png

Then in 2019, it looked like this:

2019.png.ad9ccf26f209c4fd416da4be1c8a5982.png

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Like 1