Collectorpalms

Sabal Palmetto “Lisa” Vs Sabal Palmetto

Collectorpalms

Since Sabal "Lisa" Is a mutation of Sabal Palmetto, are the cultural requirements the same in regards to growth, nutrients, and cold hardiness; or, because it is a mutation, is it possibly slower and less cold hardy etc... I am in the process ( I hope) of attaining what appear to be the real thing. Obviously I am hoping they are not too finicky and will someday have some nice size to them. I am hoping they would have the same cold tolerance for central Texas.

E65B2139-CBE7-49D6-BF66-4B64215AB36C.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Swolte

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the mutation can occur in several varieties. I thought I had a S. Causiarum 'Lisa' (which didn't turn out to be Lisa... :rolleyes:)  

Collectorpalms
38 minutes ago, Swolte said:

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the mutation can occur in several varieties. I thought I had a S. Causiarum 'Lisa' (which didn't turn out to be Lisa... :rolleyes:)  

A Sabal Causarium by itself is wonderful! I have no idea why I never planted one. I now do have a few seedlings of Causarium that I will plant when they are large enough I can tell they are different. I planted a Sabal Domingensis that turned out to be a Sabal Louisiana. At least it looked great after the freeze.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

PalmatierMeg

As far as I know Sabal Lisa has the same hardiness as standard S. palmetto. The Lisa leaves seem to be thicker and sturdier and have the feel of plastic. Well worth trying.

Jimhardy

I think I remember reading somewhere that the "cupped" leaves

(canoe shaped) is a good early indicator of "Lisa" traits can't tell as

much with the one on the right but the one on the left looks like

it has this....cant remember what the % of them having this trait is,

I would guess 8-10 out of 15?  Looks like you may have hit the jackpot:)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sabal Steve
      By Sabal Steve
      I’ve been growing these up for a few years now, and I was wondering how much longer before I can start to spot the true lisas.  I’m thinking that I’ll need to pot them up to one gallons.  Thoughts?
    • Alicehunter2000
      By Alicehunter2000
      Slow but cool leaves in morning sun.

• Brad Mondel
      By Brad Mondel
      I have 15 Sabal Lisa seedlings that are one year old and one of those seedlings is showing the Lisa trait already!
    • Moose
      By Moose
      The Sabal palmetto cv. 'Lisa' that got planted several years ago is slowly growing. The top of the highest palmate frond is about 6 ft. It gets a 12-4-12 palm special with minors 3 times per year. I'm aware that Sabals spend a bit of time developing their underground trunk before they start shooting upwards. The "Lisa' cultivar seems to be slower then a typical S. palmetto.

I admit I am starting to get anxious about its development. I'm not getting any younger and I would love to see this palm start cranking. Any ideas about pushing my Lisa? Anyone got Lisa experience ?

I'm uncertain that higher nitrogen fertilizer is the answer, I don't want it to stretch. It also gets Potassium / Magnesium sulfate (K-Mag) amendments. Not sure if the K-Mag is effective since it is a native and in habitat has done without.

Help me make my Lisa grow

• Scot from SC
      By Scot from SC
      I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong forum, but this forum seemed to be the closest fitting to my topic.

I have relatives in Fort Myers, Florida, and I visit them a few times a year. Even though I am somewhat familiar with the area, I could use the help of someone better acquainted with the area.

I am looking for any local nurseries that sell one to seven gallon cold hardy palms. Most of the nurseries I visit there have plenty of field size palms, but very few have anything in the size that I am looking for, much less cold hardy sabals, etc.

My relatives, even though they have nice specimens in their yard, are not knowledgeable about nurseries, so I have been going at this quest on my own.

I know the Edison mansion/estate sometimes has plant sales, but it seems like I can never find dates for upcoming ones, even on their website.

Also, does anyone have a definite address for the Sabal Lisa in the area? The last information I have is that it has been relocated to a park on MLK Blvd. Here is the information posted by PalmatierMeg back in November of 2013 on this forum: "The palms are in a city palm park on Martin Luther King Blvd next to the railroad museum at the edge of downtown Ft. Myers and 2 miles before Fleamasters Flea Market."

Here is the link to that conversation: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39544-where-is-the-sabal-lisa-in-fort-myers/

Thank you in advance!