• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      London's resident palm video guy, RH Grows, recently uploaded a video of a strange palm at Lincoln Inn Fields in central London.
      I'm not sure whether this is a regular CIDP, or some kind of CIDP hybrid? At first glance, it kind of looks like a Butia, but it's clearly a Phoenix of some sort. It almost looks like a Butia x CIDP hybrid, which is obviously impossible. The fronds and crown kind of have that Butia look, but it's clearly a Phoenix of some sort. Almost certainly CIDP, or hybridised with something like Dacty, Sylvestris, Rupicola etc.
      One thing to mention is that the palm is also grown in deep shade, which I believe could effect the frond size/length, but that would not explain the strange crown and slim trunk. Something just seems very different about it. For all I know it could just be a regular CIDP though. I don't know what other people think it is...?

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      Here is a catalog of all the bigger CIDP's around London and their locations, so that they can be monitored moving forward. It also helps for people to know where they can find them exactly, should they be in the area and decide to visit some. Many of these CIDP's are not well known, so I will be photo-documenting and logging quite a lot of fairly large specimens in the city and suburbs.
      Starting with the one at Lambeth Bridge...

River Gardens, Fulham

Hollands Park

Kensington

These CIDP's on the intersection are fruiting profusely and producing viable seed...

Another one further down the street...

There's two big CIDP's outside Hackney town hall. They've been there about 20 years. 

Egerton Place

It's in need of a trim, which will make the trunk look even bigger...

Mount Street gardens, Mayfair

Notting Hill

Richmond

White City, west London

Clapham

Next to a church in Ealing, West London.

Next to Wimbledon fire station. 

People's back gardens in Bermondsey, south west London

Wapping, East London

Eaton Square...

Islington

North Kensington...

Clapham again...

Camberwell...

Southwark...

East Dulwich

Croydon

Apartments in Fulham

St. Annes in Notting Hill

Front gardens kitted out...

Earlsfield

Another in Notting Hill...

A back yard in the London suburb of Leyton...

Decent sized specimen in Walworth...

That will do for now. I will upload the rest tomorrow as there are tons of other CIDP's in people's gardens/yards. I've barely scratched the surface on the London CIDP's yet...

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      As an avid Washie fan who has been following their growth over here in the UK for several years, I thought I better compel a photo journal showing the biggest specimens over here and their growth rates. It appears that Filifera does perform better than Robusta here, in regards to cold hardiness. There are many more mature Filifera's around than Robusta's for instance, although Washingtonia in general does good in London and the south coast of England. As you move inland however, you will only see Filifera or hybrids.
      I'll start with what I believe is a pure Robusta at Peter Cavendish's home in Earl's Court, London. The first photo was taken in 2014...

And again in 2020...

Next we move onto another very impressive specimen. A Filibusta hybrid in Wimbledon, London. This was grown from seed in I think 1997 and it looked like this 10 years ago...

And this is what it looks like now...

Next up is what is probably one of the biggest Washie's in the UK, certainly on the mainland at least. It is located at Minster-On-Sea, which is about 20 miles east of London. This one is almost certainly a Filibusta hybrid too. I think the trunk is a little bit too fat to be a Robusta...?
      Here it is in 2009...

And here it is now...

Many of you have also probably seen Dave Brown's Filibusta hybrid in Kent, which looked like this back in 2007. He did a few videos on it surviving snow and cold winters...

Well this is what Dave's washie looks like nowadays... 

Robusta's or Filibusta hybrids in Richmond, London near to Kew Gardens. First picture from 2012...

And then 7 years later in 2019...

Another Filibusta hybrid in Little Venice, London... shown back in 2013...

And then 7 years later, now...

I think the one in Chelsea Physic Garden, London is also a Filibusta hybrid. Here it is roughly a decade ago...

And again in 2019...

Probable Filibusta hybrid in a front garden in Southsea, Portsmouth. Here it is back in 2011 looking tiny...

And more recently in 2020...

Now onto the Filifera's, starting with Barry's one in Edmonton, North London, which is possibly the biggest Filifera in the UK now at 30 foot tall. Here is his Filifera about 15 years ago...

And this is how Barry's Filifera looks today!

The other contender for the UK's biggest Filifera is the monster at Canvey Island, just east of London. It looked like this back in 2009...

But now it looks like this...

Here's what looks like another big Filifera growing in Chingford, Essex. First shown in 2011...

And then fast forward 9 years to now...

There's another decent sized Filifera in Dulwich, London as well, which looked like this in 2008...

And looks like this now...

There appears to be a Filifera growing in a front garden in Thorpe Bay, Essex. You can just about see it's fronds back in 2009...

But it looked like this a decade later in 2019...

Another big Filifera on the Isle of Dogs in East London...

A Filibusta hybrid, or possibly a Filifera, in a Wimbledon back garden...

Another Filifera at Battersea Park, London...

Filibusta hybrids at Sandsfoot Gardens, Weymouth

Growth on a London street Washie from 2014...

And then fast forward to 2020...

There were a number of 5-6 foot washies planted at Ventnor Botanic gardens, which looked like this after the bad winter of 2010...

And this is them in recent years, a decade or so later...

The Abbey Gardens at Tresco has by far the tallest Washie in the UK with a 45 foot tall Robusta... however I don't have any 'before' pictures unfortunately...

Tresco's Filibusta hybrid however has gone from this in 2011...

To this now...

Lastly, some big Robusta's at a private facility in the Docklands in east London. This place is supposedly used for hosting business magnates. Quite a weird location to place them. Here they are shortly after planting in late 2017...

And then about 6 months later...

9 months later they're looking nice and healthy. The tallest Robusta's must be about 30-35 feet tall.

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      I went to Kew Gardens for my birthday on Tuesday 22nd September. 
      A great chance to check out the gardens and the fantastic glass houses, of which several were unfortunately closed due to the pandemic. Nonetheless, plenty of palms and exhibits were still on display and in their full glory on a beautiful sunny autumn/fall day here at 51N in southeastern England. The air temperature was around 27C / 80F at the time of visiting. Conditions are very dry at present as we have had no rainfall at all during September so far, and only around 4-5 inches of rain over the past 6 months, since 1st March. 
      Here is a photo-documentation of the gardens, glass houses and the various palms located within. The first of several posts...

Unfortunately some of the attractions and glass houses were closed due to the pandemic, although the main couple were still open. Please excuse me for not naming each palm individually...

Crossing on to the temperate glass house...

More to follow...