Sign in to follow this  
Will Simpson

Ensete maurelii might not be as healthy as I thought ?

Will Simpson

This Ensete maurelii has been in the ground for 3 growing seasons and I was bragging about how much trunk was going to survive after a mild winter last winter . I then didn't see any growth so I started sawing it down to try and find solid center growth . I cut and cut and cut further and the outer leaves seem to be alive but I still don't see healthy center growth . I'm going to stop cutting down now and maybe I've cut down enough to where it can dry out and start growing in the center again . 

We'll see , but I would hate to lose this banana that should have a great root system and should grow fast if it's not rotten all the way down the trunk .

Thanks for looking .

This what it looked when I was  bragging on it being solid , and I assumed it would start trunking from this point . 

IMG_0038.thumb.JPG.1f20ca75f769e77bd22c3d00ae176781.JPG

Most of the tissue that  is left is  healthy but if rot went all the way down in the center it might be dead . I'll know soon as I watch for growth in the next couple of weeks .

IMG_0037.thumb.JPG.b79122b970dbf031ebc94781db3d3da4.JPG

Funkthulhu

Well, at least now you've got a nice flat top so you'll know almost immediately if you get anything pushing up!

Will Simpson

Yes , I should see something soon . I didn't see much today . Maybe tomorrow ?

Thanks ,

Will

Chris Chance

That same thing happend to me and it croaked soon after.  I have such bad luck with those I gave up. As soon as I think I have a nice healthy one they start to decline out of nowhere.