IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lets all get along :P

Palmlover_78

out of 130 seeds, this is how many have germinated, the rest didn't and some started to rot. There are about 30 seedlings in the pot. How long can they stay in here before I have to separate them?

Thanks Guys

babies.JPG

What kinds of palms?  Did you use a sterile mix?

Most all palm species appreciate bottom heat in order to germinate, unless you are germinating them outside under subtropical to tropical conditions.

2 hours ago, oasis371 said:

What kinds of palms?  Did you use a sterile mix?

Most all palm species appreciate bottom heat in order to germinate, unless you are germinating them outside under subtropical to tropical conditions.

Hello, These are windmill Palms, yes i did and these guys were germinated in a heated part of the apartment and this is a mix of seedling mix perlite and a bit of cactus mix potting soil :)

26 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Looks to be a soggy ish mix. Which causes these issues. Try coco coir and perlite 

Hello, These are windmill Palms, yes i did and these guys were germinated in a heated part of the apartment and this is a mix of seedling mix perlite and a bit of cactus mix potting soil :)

Windmills don't need the high soil temperatures of many palms where germination is facilitated by soil temps of 90 to 95 F. I have several windmills grown from seedlings.

If you like growing palms from seed, I can also recommend Washingtonia robusta and Phoenix canariensis. Both are also easy from personal experience in a northern Zone 7 climate. Pindo (Butia palms) are probably also fairly easy (but have not started those from seeds).  Good luck with the windmills.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oasis371 said:

Windmills don't need the high soil temperatures of many palms where germination is facilitated by soil temps of 90 to 95 F. I have several windmills grown from seedlings.

If you like growing palms from seed, I can also recommend Washingtonia robusta and Phoenix canariensis. Both are also easy from personal experience in a northern Zone 7 climate. Pindo (Butia palms) are probably also fairly easy (but have not started those from seeds).  Good luck with the windmills.

I'm in zone 3a and Windmills make excellent outdoor trees in late spring, summer and early fall. I have a three foot Windmill on my patio, and it is taking off like a rocket :P, I've been told they are slow growers, not in my experience :)