IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is the lowest Temperature a Mature Mule Palm Has Survived

Collectorpalms

Hello, after the February 2021, freeze, there should be enough data out here to determine bxs ultimate hardiness.

Mine have all be trunk cut and show no signs of movement after an official low of 5*. I have not given up hope yet. Even Butia that may have lived ( very few) in the area are not moving much of any either last I noticed. But I will check on those after a few more days.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I had one in Dallas that lived through a near death experience from a low of 16*.  I trunk cut about 14” to get to live tissue.  It grew out and flowered for several years.  

• Like 3

Did it have spear pull? My large ones don’t have spear pull. I cut them and no movement. I am not sure if I should go further. Seems like I cut about 12 inches.

in 2018, I hit 14.5* and none of them had issues I thought, though eventually I saw some trunk rot at base 2 years later.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Believe there were/are some large ones in Ocala or Gainesville Florida that survived some low temps.  Not sure the exact temps, I am going off memory here, but think it was low to mid teens. 

EDIT:  I think I just found it on the University of Florida Campus in Gainesville.  If memory serves, this palm survived maybe 13 or 14F???  Not sure of the exact temps.  I have seen queen palms come back from around those temps before, so maybe it can take 10 in and extreme case and live. 

Butiagrus | Here is one of Florida's original Mule Palms. It… | Flickr

Edited by NBTX11

6 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Believe there were/are some large ones in Ocala or Gainesville Florida that survived some low temps.  Not sure the exact temps, I am going off memory here, but think it was low to mid teens. 

EDIT:  I think I just found it on the University of Florida Campus in Gainesville.  If memory serves, this palm survived maybe 13 or 14F???  Not sure of the exact temps.  I have seen queen palms come back from around those temps before, so maybe it can take 10 in and extreme case and live. 

Butiagrus | Here is one of Florida's original Mule Palms. It… | Flickr

If they can take 10/11* then those trio on the San Antonio Riverwalk would be living proof.

Right now, I am thinking 15* is their limit in combination of up to 48 hours with highs just below freezing (27-32*) as I said mine lived but had trunk rot at base. Defoliation varies a little bit but starts just below 20*on some.

Queens can come back from 15-17* but they get severe trunk rot all the way up. So I put them at 18-20F limit with no more than 48 hours below freezing for highs. And must be above 30F. While defoliation starts at 23* . By this definition some queens should have survived in Corpus Christi south of the bay, and Galveston Island and maybe just along Galveston Bay, east of 45. 

right now I am also trying to find out what the limit is of the common Butia as well...

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Mule palms survived the freeze of 2018 in places that hit 14F for a brief duration, but with fairly extensive burn to overcome. I have noticed that some varieties handle cold better than others.

When I was young we had a butia capitata in the neighbors yard that survived all the historic freezes of the 1980s, including 1989's with a high of 17 and a low of 9 on the coldest day. It was unfazed by all of them.

In 2018 was below freezing over a day with an ultimate low of 13.7F. My much thicker mule (trunk on par with butia) has shown quite a bit of trunk rot over time while the much thinner mule (trunk on par with a queen) has just one small patch.  Both completely defoliated.

• Like 2

Maybe I am being impatient on mine coming back, but I was 5*, even the ones I could wrap probably didn’t help over a 7 day freeze.

22 minutes ago, Sabal_Louisiana said:

Mule palms survived the freeze of 2018 in places that hit 14F for a brief duration, but with fairly extensive burn to overcome. I have noticed that some varieties handle cold better than others.

When I was young we had a butia capitata in the neighbors yard that survived all the historic freezes of the 1980s, including 1989's with a high of 17 and a low of 9 on the coldest day. It was unfazed by all of them.

That high of 17 and low of 9 is still warmer than what many butia experienced over central Texas, the airport got to 20F, but my thermometer hovered around 15-17F for 3 or 4 hours. That 20F must have been a few minutes that the sun came out.

There are several larger Butia over 6Ft of trunk that still have a little green left, but I do not think they are moving any new growth. Anything smaller than 4 ft of thick trunk no green was left.

Edited by Collectorpalms

4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

If they can take 10/11* then those trio on the San Antonio Riverwalk would be living proof.

Right now, I am thinking 15* is their limit in combination of up to 48 hours with highs just below freezing (27-32*) as I said mine lived but had trunk rot at base. Defoliation varies a little bit but starts just below 20*on some.

Queens can come back from 15-17* but they get severe trunk rot all the way up. So I put them at 18-20F limit with no more than 48 hours below freezing for highs. And must be above 30F. While defoliation starts at 23* . By this definition some queens should have survived in Corpus Christi south of the bay, and Galveston Island and maybe just along Galveston Bay, east of 45. 

right now I am also trying to find out what the limit is of the common Butia as well...

I’ve seen queen palms come back from possibly as low as 13 degrees. It happened. 

Here is my smallest mule about 2 weeks ago - slightly larger than 7-gal mules they were selling at Lowe's last summer.  It's pushing a leaf now.

622696537_Mulestump.thumb.jpg.b2fe6aa65b66319816a56943df0feda0.jpg

And here is my smallest Butia of three as of yesterday - one day after surgery.  My other 2 Butias are pushing new growth just fine without cutting.  This one I cut had spear pull but almost no immediate leaf damage post-freeze.  Plastic container was to cover during am drizzle yesterday morning.

IMG_20210407_181850.jpg

• Like 5

Jon Sunder

4 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Here is my smallest mule about 2 weeks ago - slightly larger than 7-gal mules they were selling at Lowe's last summer.  It's pushing a leaf now.

622696537_Mulestump.thumb.jpg.b2fe6aa65b66319816a56943df0feda0.jpg

And here is my smallest Butia of three as of yesterday - one day after surgery.  My other 2 Butias are pushing new growth just fine without cutting.  This one I cut had spear pull but almost no immediate leaf damage post-freeze.  Plastic container was to cover during am drizzle yesterday morning.

IMG_20210407_181850.jpg

I am just not sure if I cut enough on my big ones. And I don’t know what to do right now. I need a ladder to get to one of them, so I haven’t looked recently at that one. But I don’t see any movement on the others and it’s been at least a week now. Two are right at eye level. It’s not been as hot as it’s been in SA.

My 10' mule got pretty ratty just from temps in the 20's.  I think it was the many cold nights and snow/frost

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Yes I expect stuff to get moving good this week with temps in the 90's (93 degrees here yesterday and possibly 100 tomorrow).  I cut my larger mule at the same time as the Butia about 4' off the ground but haven't seen movement on it yet.  I'm kinda in the same boat as you with that one.  It showed minimal leaf damage at 20 degrees in January 2018 - first time seeing any damage since purchase in 2014.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

This hybrid purchased as (Jxb) was the only unprotected palm besides needle and Sabals to have partial green fronds on it after the freeze. It looked ok except a very fried burnt spear on March 3, (Used peroxide) but then after warm weather the green fronds started falling. So I trunk cut it a few days ago. What a bummer too. As I was thinking this one lived. Not sure what happened!

03276581-460D-4FCD-A3A4-B03DB8972E83.jpeg

2A6766A2-FFFF-44E3-91FB-3EA024ED2A7F.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

I just found that my smallest unprotected mule in San Marcos pushed out growth over the last two days.  It had spear pull and a low of 7*, but I think it surviving is an anomaly.  I’ve had other small palms survive, yet much larger specimens died.  I believe the snow & ice cover insulated the smaller palms enough for them to live.  

3EB62678-81E9-479F-ACAE-2C81EC46B593.jpeg

• Like 3

I am pretty devastated about my mules that I protected have done nothing so far. They had some green immediately after the freeze, but that’s faded. I guess I will trunk cut a bit more... maybe get some pliers to tug out the stuck Spears on three of them so I can treat the meristem if it still exists. Same with some other palms. I think going into mid April time for recovery is fading.

776B4726-F931-40BC-8908-FD4F6CFE40F7.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Here's mine after 8F with a cover and lights.  It took more damage than I am happy about as most damage was done apparently unwrapped in the 20's.

mule.jpg

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Still no sign of life on my mule with 10' trunk.....   my low was 11F, 8F and 9F three nights straight.   In 2014, it survived 14F with only minor damage to the outer portions of the fronds and the very newest frond at the growth point.   However, that 2014 event only lasted a single day and I am certain that played a big part in the minimal damage at that time.

I've trunk cut my mule as well, taking off about a foot so far and have yet to see any new growth.   I'll leave it till June before I pronounce it dead.

Jv

• Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 2 years later...
On 4/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, iamjv said:

Still no sign of life on my mule with 10' trunk.....   my low was 11F, 8F and 9F three nights straight.   In 2014, it survived 14F with only minor damage to the outer portions of the fronds and the very newest frond at the growth point.   However, that 2014 event only lasted a single day and I am certain that played a big part in the minimal damage at that time.

I've trunk cut my mule as well, taking off about a foot so far and have yet to see any new growth.   I'll leave it till June before I pronounce it dead.

Jv

A quick update to this post....   my Mule recovered from the historic freeze, slowly putting out a full crown of new growth.    Then this last winter we had a hard freeze (16f) with sleet and rain that froze the crown once again....  the Mule is now trying to regrow it's crown.   This Tim Hooper hybrid has proven to be very hardy.    Cheers

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

On 4/8/2021 at 5:48 AM, Collectorpalms said:

I think this hits on a good point - duration of cold. This is why plants are more "cold hardy" in desert areas. When I worked in ABQ 20 years back, winter temps swung 30 to 40 F° daily. Very common to go above freezing in the afternoons. Not so in ATL where it moves on average 18F°.

The other issue is natural variation. We saw 5° to 6° F in December. T.fortunei damage varied from 25% to 100%. With a mule, there is obvious variation in trunk diameter and leaflet structure between siblings. Some are little better than a queen. Some were less hardy than some L.chinensis this past winter.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Mine have all be trunk cut and show no signs of movement after an official low of 5*. 

I saw it in posts from different people. Does this * sign mean ⁰F ( Fahrenheit)?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Is there difference in cold hardiness of the mule of Butia eriospatha x tablelands queen ( Santa Catarina, Paraná) ? ( not the best specimens, but found this two pics)

20230327_175250.jpg

P_20190415_163505_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

1 hour ago, Alberto said:

I saw it in posts from different people. Does this * sign mean ⁰F ( Fahrenheit)?

Yes.

6a toronto/10b los angeles