Sign in to follow this  
SubTropicRay

Arenga remaining in UA Young's old garden

SubTropicRay

Dr. UA Young's former south Tampa paradise is of course no more.  Thankfully, many palms and cycads were moved and some nice specimens have thus far been maintained (tolerated?) by the new homeowners.  This is one such palm.  The specimen closest to the new home (2nd photo) is Arenga engleri.  What is the taller palm closest to the road?  I told the new homeowner it's likely A. tremula or A. australasica.  Without a flower, it's tough for me to differentiate.  Thoughts?  Thanks in advance, Ray

The last photo shows a preserved Borassus aethiopum and "beardless" Coccothrinax crinita just behind it.

image.thumb.png.e1368629f39de99e21640ab5c07f4b2b.png

image.thumb.png.eb20c5b10cf71c51a30dcaffac262369.png

image.thumb.png.e24df067cc8502078c222542084207bf.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Merlyn

My understanding is that Arenga Engleri tends to have leaves inserted on a "V" angle, which is nearly flat towards the end of the rachis and slightly more "V" shaped towards the base.  Tremula tends to have a single insertion angle at the end of the rachis and then paired leaflets or two different insertion angles as you get towards the base.  I don't know about Australasica.  But it definitely looks like several insertion angles, which would rule out Engleri.  Of course...I could be totally wrong!  :D

• Like 1

NatureGirl

Here's an A. australasica growing on a friends property for comparison. 

4C8065BD-8DBA-4820-8C02-096098645D05.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SubTropicRay

Nice, thanks Charlene.  So a smaller Australasica looks much like a large tremula :unsure:

• Like 1